Vegetarianism?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slowly, since turning 18, I have been headed more towards a vegetarian diet. High school and community college I was going for a culinary arts degree, also as a member of FCCLA culinary arts program, constantly being around food I quit eating a lot of things.
Cutting out pork at first, and then beef during my weight loss era in 2011, I dropped from 330 to 190 in a year (no, not starving, if you can cook, and know nutrition you can diet).
Mostly in part as I quit drinking soda, which was difficult as at my former job, racetrac petroleum, I got free soda fountain drinks, killed me as well 9-10 hrs, drinking free 44oz cups throughout.

Fast forward, joining the army in 2012, at 190, i had to eat whatever in OSUT, it was whatever the drill sgts said we could eat... Gained 10 lbs there, though most of it was muscle gains than anything.

Graduated benning in march 2013, immediately dropped to 190 again getting there, still active and exercising, i had a steady diet of fish, chicken, rice, and yogurt almost daily.

Then I deployed. And have really, really slacked off here. Working out at the gym when I can, but I have eaten fried foods since getting here (something that's a no-no for me since 2011) as well as picking up red meat/beef (still won't eat pork). It's mostly part because I don't and won't eat fish in a land locked country.

Regardless, I've gotten back up to 200lbs since being here.
Question is, when I get back, I'm seriously contemplating going vegetarian. Any of y'all vegetarians?
My health is number one being in the military, as I avoid sick hall like the plague.

I really want to drop from 200 to 170 in 6 months, which isn't too far of a goal...
At 6 ft tall, 22 years old, 170-180 seems like a reasonable weight...

I have no issues with protein deficiencies cutting out meat, which is easily substituted with Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, PB, and a few others.

I'm just wondering how easy or difficult it is to go out to dinner, and find places with vegetarian alternatives? Shopping? I know HEB in Texas has a good amt of vegetarian things, as well as a few other shops, and mostly will eat at on base DFACs but how to y'all do it if you're a vegetarian?
Thanks!

I'm full vegetarian, been this way my whole life. Never once tasted any meat, poultry, anything not even by accident!

I'm not vegetarian for health reasons however, but rather religion.

( mods: i'm not talking about religion, just expressing why i'm a vegetarian)

I worked with a very strict vegetarian and his skin color was terrible and always looked sick. He definitely needed the protein in his diet. Rabbit, fish, chicken are all good sources. Red meat? Some breeds of cattle are low fat especially on a no grain diet (grass raised).

I was a vegetarian for three years. I gained weight, I felt miserable and just didn't see the pluses. And before people chime in and say I "didn't do it right", you might want to know the truth and facts.

I consulted everything I could, paid and unpaid. I listened and learned from healthy vegetarians. I didn't (always) just stuff myself with bread to keep full, but that never went away. And I'm not talking garbage bread, but rather the best organic homemade. At the end even the ardent vegetarians told me "it's not for everyone".

So here's my take: there are different body types. Some people just need the protein and nutrients in meat. Bottom line.

After a cardiac episode, the emergency room cardiologist told me that Americans don't eat correctly....he said we should eat nuts, berries and vegetables as the body was intended instead of meats and such. When asked, he said he followed his own advice and very rarely ever ate any kind of meat....it was also noticed that he was very trim and "looked" healthy. It does beg for an answer to the question though....If animals weren't meant to be eaten then how come they're made out of meat?

Look at the length of a human large intestine in relation to the small intestine.

We're designed to eat meat.

Just stay with lean meats if you're worried.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I was a vegetarian for three years. I gained weight, I felt miserable and just didn't see the pluses. And before people chime in and say I "didn't do it right", you might want to know the truth and facts.

I consulted everything I could, paid and unpaid. I listened and learned from healthy vegetarians. I didn't (always) just stuff myself with bread to keep full, but that never went away. And I'm not talking garbage bread, but rather the best organic homemade. At the end even the ardent vegetarians told me "it's not for everyone".

So here's my take: there are different body types. Some people just need the protein and nutrients in meat. Bottom line.

Forgot to add, when I went off meat my cholesterol went up to 220+. Back on lean meat and balanced with greens, well under 200.

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG = Greens
MMMM = Meat
S = Bready, simpler carbs

No cravings!

I had some serious health problems about three years ago - seriously altered my diet for a period of time, (no coffee, no cokes, no salt or processed sugar). While it was hard to get used to at first, I actually started to enjoy it after a period of time and it was fun cooking with my wife in the kitchen, (up till then, I knew we had a stove but I had never done anything with it - now the grill, that's another story).

Two things amazed me - how much better I felt in terms of energy and sleeping better at night.

Secondly, how much weight I lost yet I could still eat as much as I wanted - but healthy food.

Once the health crisis passed, I did go back to drinking coke and coffee, but not nearly as much as I did before, (two or three cups of coffee per day as opposed to two or three pots per day.) I did put on a few pounds, but am now at a comfortable weight and I still feel good.

With my experience, I discovered that meat isn't harmful if prepared correctly and in a healthy manner.

Everything in moderation.
Even vagitarianism.
wink.gif
[yes I spelled it right]

It would be hard to be a vegetarian. I know a few people who have tried to be full blown vegetarian. They are no longer vegetarian and one got sick. I know some who eat meat every once in a while. I think that's the best route if you want to lean toward being a vegetarian.

I've went thru periods of times where I would limit my meat consumption to a minimum and its hard. You're hungry often and have to eat much more to meat(thinking of meat now)meet you calorie goals. I think it's easier for women to be vegetarian due their, on average, lower metabolism rate.

Don't overthink things. Just try to go back to your previous healthy eating habits when you have the chance again. I would also aim for the 180-190lbs weight range. I think 170-180 is on the low side for someone in the 6' range.

Last edited:
Something else to consider for what it's worth. According to the Bible, people didn't start eating meat until after the Great Flood. If you plot a timeline, you'll notice after the flood people started living shorter and shorter lives, (Adam died at 930 years old as opposed to Moses who died at 120). While I'm not saying meat eating was the sole cause of a rapid decline in lifespans, it is something to think about in how we were originally created.

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
Something else to consider for what it's worth. According to the Bible, people didn't start eating meat until after the Great Flood. If you plot a timeline, you'll notice after the flood people started living shorter and shorter lives, (Adam died at 930 years old as opposed to Moses who died at 120). While I'm not saying meat eating was the sole cause of a rapid decline in lifespans, it is something to think about in how we were originally created.

Is there any evidence that supports this? Because I'll give up meat if it means living for another five centuries.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

+1 I agree - everyone's different. Personally I can go weeks without eating meat. For me, its nothing to do with personal preferences on limiting meat, just don't have that desire for a while. I'm generally healthy, get sick sometimes but I'm not in a constant state of poor health. Usually nothing that 8 hours of sleep one night over the usual 5 hours won't fix.

Quote:
Is there any evidence that supports this? Because I'll give up meat if it means living for another five centuries.
Please don't. There is no retirement plan in this world which can support your 500 years of retirement :)

It's all about exercise......the typical American diet wouldn't be all that bad if we were working in the fields and burning calories, but we are not. How many stories have you heard, or know first hand, of hard physical working men that eat bacon/eggs, steak, etc. etc. everyday and lived to be well into their late 70's or 80's?

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy

beavis-and-butthead-laughing-o.gif

"old" people now-a-days are living much longer than they used to. They were born in the 1920s, ate whatever, experienced "second hand smoke", and all kinds of stuff. This whole new-fangled health craze hasn't been around long enough to produce a generation of 120 year olds yet. So who knows if it will actually make a difference.

Either way, you might get hit by a bus tomorrow, so enjoy a steak and beer tonight (moderation!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back