250 billion to american jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: javacontour
The 85-90% figure for all merchandise doesn't sound believable. Sounds like FUD designed to cause folks to shop elsewhere.

Given how large W*M is one would think 80-90% of everything we buy would come from overseas and that's not true.

In 2012 we exported $2.2 Trillion and imported $2.7 Trillion as an economy.

The entire GDP in 2012 was in the $15 Trillion range.

Doesn't seem plausible that 80-90% of what W*M sells is imported goods when viewed along side the entire economic picture.

I agree, but it is something that is out there in more than one place.

One would think that with all the propaganda they put out during the Olympics, they would actually give us a real, official percentage. I haven't found it. I have found that groceries aside, most of the stuff I see there is NOT made here. But as I mentioned, I did see that they are selling USA-made towels now.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Because of the high levels of inflation causing the US dollar to be worth less, it's financially beneficial to these companies to manufacture here in the USA.

+1

Chinese labor is getting more and more expensive, and they are starting to see shortage in cheap labors recently despite increasing wages (now around $500 USD / month, up from around $300-400 a few years ago).

There will never be a shortage of cheap labor. That's why we need to protect ours here. To me the middle class lifestyle is a national security concern. After all, when a soldier gets back from whatever war we're fighting right now and can't find a decent job, then what really was he fighting for. We're supposed to be the best country in the world. Not so if you're not meaningfully employed.

But groceries count as much as anything else.

The way I figure it, anything with a cord or takes batteries is likely imported. Mexico, China, Japan, Malaysia, etc.

Clothing and shoes, likely the same. (In fact, I just bought some Reebok dry fit shirts at Sam's Club, made in Egypt!)

Packaged foods, soaps, cleaning supplies, etc, probably US/Canada. Seafood, anywhere, meat, likely US, but some imports. Dairy items, US (probably the local dairy for most as it's just a couple miles away and the codes on the GreatValue milk are identical to the codes on the name brand milk, I checked. Looks like they slap a different label on it and call it store branded milk.)

Produce, it depends on the season.

Beer, mostly US, but a few imports, mostly Mexico and Canada.

It would not surprise me if the total sales tracked closely with the GDP and import figures. It's likely 70-80% of the stuff is domestic, by value of goods sold.

Sure, that flat screen TV came from overseas. But how many TVs do you see leaving the store vs shopping trollies full of household good?

I'm not saying W*M is a saint. But I'm not convinced by the W*M haters either.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
...I did see that they are selling USA-made towels now.
But fret not: I understand that US-made washcloths and cloth napkins are on their way!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
After all, when a soldier gets back from whatever war we're fighting right now and can't find a decent job, then what really was he fighting for. We're supposed to be the best country in the world. Not so if you're not meaningfully employed.

So true. It really takes a tremendous toll on a man when he can't even find work, especially meaningful work that can feed his family.

NOTHING sadder about our current situation than this IMO...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
After all, when a soldier gets back from whatever war we're fighting right now and can't find a decent job, then what really was he fighting for. We're supposed to be the best country in the world. Not so if you're not meaningfully employed.

So true. It really takes a tremendous toll on a man when he can't even find work, especially meaningful work that can feed his family.

It used to be this guy could make a career of the military and then get a good job after retiring from the military, but with the way our gov leaders are hacking up the military, and destroying the middle class, this just isn't the case anymore...

I tend to think this is because military jobs, like many other jobs, have become more specialized over the years and it is now harder for many management people to ascertain how skills gained during military service translate to civilian vocations.

The skill sets are definitely transferable, but I think hiring authorities are less able to see the big picture now. The last several years' economic conditions have led to an employers' market in which managers can be VERY picky in relation to specific experience.

In reality, this doesn't bode well for the corporate world because variety is the spice of life. What I see is rapid turnover as a result. Veterans as a whole tend to be more respectful and persistent. But, the corporate world is too narrow minded in today's world to realize the value.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
it is now harder for many management people to ascertain how skills gained during military service translate to civilian vocations.

You're absolutely right. Todays management do not understand or appreciate someone with honor and integrity who can think for themselves. They want people that will simply do as they're told. It's like being in the mafia.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
They want people that will simply do as they're told. It's like being in the mafia.

After watching the entire "Sopranos" series I am in agreement with you. Aside from the excessive number of killings portrayed in the series, the various consultants used felt it was an accurate portrayal of the lifestyle. Once you're in, they own you (or, at least think they do).

Originally Posted By: grampi

It used to be this guy could make a career of the military and then get a good job after retiring from the military, but with the way our gov leaders are hacking up the military, and destroying the middle class, this just isn't the case anymore...

And yet you want the government to regulate our lives even more. Your contradictions never cease to amaze me.

Originally Posted By: whip
Originally Posted By: grampi

And yet you want the government to regulate our lives even more. Your contradictions never cease to amaze me.

What are you rambling about now? What does regulating stupidity have to do with the gov destroying the military and the middle class?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back