Microgard air filter, doesn't fit tight

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I picked up a couple air filters at Oreillys, both microgards, one for my brothers mystique, the other for my parents 05 explorer.

I haven't put the new one in the explorer yet, but when I went to put it in the mystique it didn't fit right, was too short and if you moved it back and forth it would show a gap in the air box that wasn't covered.....well what the heck I'm not putting that in and expecting it to seal, so I put the old microgard back in which has the fram part number 7737 and the new one has the wix number 46339, the old one said made in mexico and new one says made in china. the old one fits a lot tighter with barely any movement and the seals are different color, the new one is orange and the old one is black

now I dont' know if these are now made by wix or if they are contracted out etc.

so it will be going back to the store if not both, I will try the explorer filter later and see how it fits.

so I'm not impressed with the new microgard line of air filters, probably end up going with a fram or napa filter instead if I can't find it in Purolator.

anyone else had any kind of air filter that I didn't fit right with air gap?

Last edited:
Spend the extra couple bucks and get a WIX or OEM and leave it in twice as long as you normally have. People change the air filters too soon. Spend some time in the air filter forum, lots of good reading.

Microguard used to be Purolator products. I don't know if they still are but I also had the same issue with a couple Puro classics I picked up @ AAP for the neighbors Ford products. They almost fall down in the airbox.

Never seen that in my GM vehicles although I also have bought ACDelco or Saturn filters most of the time for those.

Of the 2 filters, oil and air, air filter is much more importance. Like Oil Changer said, spend a little more to get a high quality air filter and don't change it out until 50-60k miles.

Originally Posted By: Black_Thunder

Sort of...I bought a Fram Air filter at WalMart once and it was the correct box with the wrong filter in it. Took it back and exchanged it.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Originally Posted By: Black_Thunder

Sort of...I bought a Fram Air filter at WalMart once and it was the correct box with the wrong filter in it. Took it back and exchanged it.

Yeah i always verify the part number printed on the filter.

Had to run around a handful of auto stores to find a filter for my DD (2010 Tucson). O'Reilly showed the filter in their system but was out to include the Microgard line.
I finally found a Purolator at a PepBoys across town (only had 1) and it was such a tight fit I had to really work into seating it so I could close up the housing.
Won't need one for awhile but will probably troll Amazon for my filter when time comes.
I would have taken the Microguard if they had one as other places were out. Makes me wonder how it would had fit for my application - if to loose, I'd be looking for another, but hope not to tight like the Purolator was/is.

no it was the right one, i verified it myself, and the one in the box was the same number, i took it back yesterday, will probably get one at napa instead.

microguard quality control / design error probably.
did u call microguard? do it . or maybe they dont speak english?

15 years ago I called gates and said your thermostat gasket (a simple part) had one of the holes in the wrong place by 1/2 inch.
tech rep called me back and said thank you we have been selling that part for over a year and no one ever complained. you are right it will not fit

Last edited:
nope didn't call them, its ok, I either won't buy one again, or i will pull it out of the box and see where it was made before i buy it.

i went to napa and bought a pro select filter instead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back