Surprising Claim by Wix re Synthetic Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/Exactmatch.aspx?PartNo=90915-yzzf1

Clicking on the two part numbers brings up their specs
#57145 Beta ratio 2 = 6 microns
#57145XP Beta ratio 2 = 20 microns

So the 57145 filters much finer than the 57145XP, and I thought that the XP line of filters was the better quality line. I spoke to Wix Tech Line and he said the extended service filters would not last for the extended period if they filtered finely. I mentioned Mobil 1 filters and he said, same thing, it does not filter finely. He also claimed that synthetic glass media do not filter as finely as cellulose media.

This is the exact opposite of my understanding of oil filters. I am very puzzled by Wix's claims.

Well it is true that finer media will load up quicker, but that has nothing to do with synthetic vs cellulose. Most synthetic filters are thick so they can hold more due the the depth they have. They are depth loading vs the surface loading cellulose. The Fram Ultra is rated for 15,000 miles and filters 99% at 20 microns, very good IMO.

My understanding is the same as yours and I was e-mailing back and forth with Wix Tech support and the Wix rep actually phoned me and told me the things I posted.

Purolator's full synthetic filter (PSL series) does not filter as efficiently as their non-synthetic PureOne. So what WIX told you is basically true.

The WIX 57145XP full synthetic Beta ratio rating of 2 = 20 microns is horrible. That's 50% @ 20 microns. Is that possibly a mis-print by WIX on their website?

The PSL full synthetic Purolator is 99% @ 25 microns. See bottom of the link page.
http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/products/oil_filters/Pages/SyntheticOilFilters.aspx

The FRAM Ultra with efficiency of 99% @ 20 microns is one of the most efficient full synthetic filters out there today.

Originally Posted By: TrevorS
Is the stated efficiency the starting efficiency?

The stated efficiency by Purolator, FRAM or anyone else using a test standard is the measured efficiency as defined by the test standard that was used.

Am I understanding it correctly that if I go with synthetic oil and short oil change intervals, I will get better filtering from their less expensive filter?

The XP syn filters are all rated at the same figure. 50% at 20um is astonishingly poor, and I doubt it's correct.

It is suspected by many here to be a typo, but even after contacting Wix, they have not corrected it. Their technical hotline, to be blunt, sux. And emailing them only gets canned answers.

I like their filters, but their customer service is terrible.

Originally Posted By: Kool1
Am I understanding it correctly that if I go with synthetic oil and short oil change intervals, I will get better filtering from their less expensive filter?

Based on the beta numbers ... yes.

Are Wix XP's the same as Napa Platinums? I bought some of these with the NAPA syn. oil special.....maybe I made a mistake...

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
I would be curious how the different media affect flow rate.

Full synthetic typically flows better per unit area. But there are other factors involved also for how much a certain filter can flow - total media area being a big factor.

Originally Posted By: pbm
Are Wix XP's the same as Napa Platinums?

I believe they are.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
The XP syn filters are all rated at the same figure. 50% at 20um is astonishingly poor, and I doubt it's correct.

It is suspected by many here to be a typo, but even after contacting Wix, they have not corrected it.

If it is a typo, they are losing sales from people who understand beta ratios and filters.

I would never use the WIX XP if this beta ratio is accurate.

Do you know if that equates to the beginning of an OCI?

Already answered on the same question in the post before this one.

According to a rep that called me he said if you use synthetic oil it doesn't need a high effeciency filter and they have tested and said anything over 15 microns will cause no wear inside the engine

The media material dictates how well the filter will trap particles.

I thought everyone knew synthetic filter were less efficient but flowed better...

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
.... That's 50% @ 20 microns. Is that possibly a mis-print by WIX on their website?...

My guess too. Obviously they should correct it because at least with those savvy with beta's as shown in this thread, it gives other comparable synthetic filters the ability to make hay out of the numbers. I'd guess it's closer to other current synthetic filters. Still doesn't change current advertised poor looking number.

As for their tech line, sounds similar to some of the info coming out the Puro PRO line in the past. In a word, unreliable. Unfortunately.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Do you know if that equates to the beginning of an OCI?

Already answered on the same question in the post before this one.

So the frequent posters in the oil filter forums don't know the answer?

Geez, what do you guys do here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back