ATF for 2010 Mazda 6i (2.5 4 cyl)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I think I made a mistake here, and just want to see how bad.

At 40K miles, I had my oil changed, new front brake pads installed, and transmission fluid drain and refill at my local garage.

Doing some research after the fact, I now realize that Mazda M-V fluid and Mercon V are not the same and are not necessarily compatible.

The garage used Mercon V fluid, so I now have about 50% old (Mazda M-V) fluid, and 50% new (Mercon V) fluid in my tranny.

Cause for concern, or drive on?

Last edited:
Could it be a warranty issue as well? Idk? Personally I like staying with OEM so I'd do a number of d/f to ensure the Valvoline was out and the specced fluid was in. Valvoline won't destroy anything but you may notice subtle changes in the transmission that you may or may not like.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Originally Posted By: Ddub
Ok, I think I made a mistake here, and just want to see how bad.

Don't you already have a thread on this going?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3296094/Unplanned_oil_change#Post3296094

Yes, but not intentionally.

My first thread was just looking for some opinions on the engine oil, but another poster brought up the ATF issue. I got to looking around and realized I might have a compatibility issue with the original Mazda fluid vs. Mercon V. To me, this is a more serious concern than the engine oil, so I posted it over here. Did I do something wrong?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ddub
Doing some research after the fact, I now realize that Mazda M-V fluid and Mercon V are not the same and are not necessarily compatible.

The garage used Mercon V fluid, so I now have about 50% old (Mazda M-V) fluid, and 50% new (Mercon V) fluid in my tranny.

Cause for concern, or drive on?

Subject:CORRECT APPLICATIONS FOR ATF M-V (TYPE M5) AND MERCON®V AUTO-MATIC TRANSMISSION FLUIDS

Bulletin No: 05-005/08
Last Issued: 4/11/2008

Service Bulletin
Mazda North American OperationsIrvine, CA 92618-2922
MULTI MODEL - CORRECT APPLICATIONS FOR ATF M-V (TYPE M5) AND MERCON®V AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUIDS
APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS
2004 - 2008 Mazda3 A/T2006 - 2008 Mazda5 A/T2003 - 2008 Mazda6 A/T2000 - 2008 B-Series A/T2001 - 2006 Tribute A/T2008 Tribute A/T2008 Tribute HEV

DESCRIPTION
Always be sure to use the correct automatic transmission fluid when replacing ATF. Using the wrong ATF may cause shift quality complaints or may even damage the transmission.

NOTE:
•ATF M-V (TYPE M5) IS NOT THE SAME FLUID AS MERCON®V ATF.
•ATF M-V (TYPE M5) HAS A GREATER VISCOSITY THAN MERCON®V ATF IN LOW TEMPERATURES.
•ATF M-V (TYPE M5) HAS A GREATER ANTI-JUDDER SPECIFICATION THAN MERCON®V ATF.

CAUTION:
•USING ATF OTHER THAN ATF M-V (TYPE M5) IN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS DESIGNED TO USE ATF M-V (TYPE M5) MAY CAUSE SHIFT QUALITY COMPLAINTS.
•USING ATF OTHER THAN MERCON®V IN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS DESIGNED TO USE MERCON®V MAY CAUSE TRANSMISSION DAMAGE.

Bulletin No:
05-005/08
© 2008 Mazda Motor of America, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back