Unplanned oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since its 3rd oil change, I've kept PU 5w-20 in my wife's 2010 Mazda 6i and changed every 7K-7.5K. At 40K, I recently took it to my local garage, and had the oil and filter changed, installed new front brake pads, and had the AT fluid drained and refilled (not flushed). The mechanic advised I had a small oil leak/seep around the timing cover and that I should get it checked out by Mazda b/c it might be covered under warranty.

A few days and 100 or so miles later, I took it to the dealer (after hours) to have a door latch recall service performed and asked them to check out the timing cover leak while it was there. We had to leave town unexpectantly for a few days, but the dealer said the leak was coming from the oil pan where it met the timing cover.

They dropped the pan, resealed it, and refilled with Castrol GTX 5W-20 (under warranty)before I had a chance to tell them about the recent oil change and request to keep my oil..

My question: Should I just keep the Castrol in there for a 5K oci and then go back to my normal oil and schedule?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Miller88
They wouldn't have kept it even if you requested.

I'd leave it in for 5K and change.

+1

My landlord bought an old Opel with a fair amount of sludge. I put Delvac 1300 in it for him to try and clean it up. A few weeks later he had a mechanic change the water pump and clutch. For some reason the pan had to be dropped and my landlord forced the mechanic to save and reuse the Delvac!

Thanks. Guess I'll just consider this as getting an unplanned, semi-complimentary oil flush. Hopefully, a little bit of the good stuff from the PU stayed in there and is still doing its thing.

I had actually considered swithching to Motorcraft SynBlend and a Bosch Premium filter for 5K OCIs instead of my current regiment after my stash of PU was depleted. The one that got dumped was the last 5qt container in my garage, so maybe I'll use this opportunity to make the change after the Castrol GTX takes us to the 45K mark.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
You had the AT fluid changed? Did your guy use the new Mazda blue fluid? Ed

No, they used Mercon V (Valvoline Max Life). The manual calls for ATF M-V, and I was told Mercon V is the current equivalent. It was a drain and refill so it only replaced about 40-50% of the fluid from what I'm told. I guess I don't know what the blue fluid is. I'll look it up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ddub

No, they used Mercon V (Valvoline Max Life). The manual calls for ATF M-V, and I was told Mercon V is the current equivalent. It was a drain and refill so it only replaced about 40-50% of the fluid from what I'm told. I guess I don't know what the blue fluid is. I'll look it up.

You might to to check on that I was under the impression that Mercon V is not the same as Mazda's M-V.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
Originally Posted By: Ddub

You might to to check on that I was under the impression that Mercon V is not the same as Mazda's M-V.

Whimsey

As far as I know Mercon V and M-V are definitely not compatible. Two years ago I ran into the same thing at the local Ford dealership. The counterman tried to sell me Mercon V for a 2008 Fusion 5 speed. I insisted, he disappeared for about 10 minutes and came back and told me I was right, that he would have to order the M-V. I went to the Mazda dealership, the counterwoman took about 30 seconds to get the fluid and charged 4 and a half dollars less per quart.

Ask BITOGer bdcardinal, he is will know for sure.

Mercon v and MV are differant. The Motor Craft # for MV is FRN 5 or close to that. With that said, I use M1 ATF in my Fusion, which at one time was MV rated by M1. They later droped that rating, but Mobil tech said the Mercon V was OK, just not rated by XM any longer. It's more about the rating system than the fluid.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back