Thin/flat wrenches

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
A number of recent jobs I've done have required "spanners" that just hold something in place so that something else can be torqued or released. My craftsman wrenches are too thick. Does anyone make an actual set of thin wrenches for this application? Or is the typical thing just to grind down some old wrenches?

I saw a set of wrenches made by williams on the snappy truck. They are called tappit wrenches. But for what they cost id go to a pawnshop and buy the size you need and grind it to fit.

A quick search on Amazon turned up quite a few sets that could be had for $20 to $35. Seemed they were either SAE or metric, not a combination of both. But quite often in the application they are used for (just holding, not super high torque), one that is "close" will get the job done.

Hazet, thin and very strong. A little pricey but you know that already.
grin.gif

Edit: This guy has decent prices and shipping.

http://stores.ebay.com/Jens-Putzier-Werkzeuge?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Last edited:
Lots of thin wrenches. English and Metric. Sears Craftsman has a line, and I've got a few of those.

As an example: http://www.sears.com/craftsman-4-pc-stan...mp;blockType=G1

Specific wrenches are made for things like the valve lash on old Mercedes Diesels and in those cases, I would pay for a set of dedicated tappet wrenches that fit. I've got a set of those from "back in the day"...

Last edited:
I've got a set if the real MB wrenches for valves. This is just regular open end to hold something. Wasn't sure of the names and pros/cons. I'd imagine if they aren't made well it could be easy to round off what you're holding.

You could look at a class of wrenches called "angle wrenches". They are double ended open end wrenches with the same size on each end. The advantage is that you can generally find some way to make them fit a fastener in a tight place. Additionally, they are somewhat thinner than most wrenches.

Bike shops may also have what you need, there are lots of thin nuts on bikes.

Though the odds are good that they add a serious markup. Try looking on bikenashbar.com

Park Tools offers a good set of cone wrenches for bicycles. Available sizes are 13mm to 24mm in 1mm increments, plus a 28mm wrench. I use a 17mm to help remove and install caliper bolts on my Honda Odyssey.

Last edited:
I have also used my thin bicycle wrenches on non-bicycle related things. It's not just car stuff, sometimes you need to use the 30mm or 32mm wrench for other things that require a large wrench, like plumbing stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back