2005 Harley Sportster 1200, Mobil Delvac mx 15w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,
My second uoa with Delvac.(blackstones in the states)
The Sportster seems fine with this oil and I will leave it for 5k miles next time.
I am using the same oil type in the transmission/clutch as well with no issues I can tell.
Not burning/using any I can measure beyond maybe a few ounces of blowby in my catch can.
I am pleased so far as this oil is costing me $6 litre vs high $20 litre for motorcycle oil.
Comments welcome.

Html:

OIL TYPE Mobil Delvac mx 15w-40

MILES ON OIL 3,100 3,589

MILES ON UNIT 29,876 33,005

SAMPLE DATE 11/25/13 2/17/14

MAKE UP OIL ADD .3 qt 0

ALUMINIUM 3 5

CHROMIUM 1 1

IRON 8 8

COPPER 13 11

LEAD 2 1

TIN 0 0

MOLYBDENUM 46 46

NICKEL 0 0

MANGANESE 0 0

SILVER 0 0

TITANIUM 0 0

POTASSIUM 0 1

BORON 57 51

SILICON 7 8

SODIUM 1 1

CALCIUM 2792 2824

MAGNESIUM 450 526

PHOSPHORUS 1176 1197

ZINC 1373 1327

BARIUM 0 0

SUS V @210F 69.7 73.5

cST V @100C 12.88 13.88

FLASHPOINT F 420 435

FUEL %
ANTIFREEZE % 0 0

WATER % 0.0 0.0

INSOLUBLES % 0.3 0.3

TBN 10

TAN

ISO CODE

Last edited:
Thank you very much for posting.
So doesn't a sporty have dedicated engine oil and a shared sump for the primary and tranny?

I've go to rotella conventional 15w-40 in my Harley right now. Its a 106 and has an oil cooler.
Any idea what your max oil temps were. How much of this was highway do you figure.
I've been guessing at 3000-3500 miles being a perfect interval and your used oil analysis looks great so I'm not too far off for my bike.

Thanks for posting.

I'm extremely surprised at the low wear metals for a shared-sump, air cooled bike. Looks like a match made in heaven.

Originally Posted By: Wampahoofus
I'm extremely surprised at the low wear metals for a shared-sump, air cooled bike. Looks like a match made in heaven.

The engine oil isn't shared with the tranny and primary. The engine oil is all by itself and the primary and tranny share oil,so this used oil analysis reflects only the engine.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

The engine oil isn't shared with the tranny and primary. The engine oil is all by itself and the primary and tranny share oil,so this used oil analysis reflects only the engine.

True....engine only, not shared sump.
My oil temp measured at the tank with a dipstick checked in boiling water is usually 175-195F rarely 200.
I use this oil in the transmission/ clutch as well, seems as good as anything else ive used.
Mixed riding, mainly highway tho. Lot of 2 up as well.

Originally Posted By: splineman

True....engine only, not shared sump.
My oil temp measured at the tank with a dipstick checked in boiling water is usually 175-195F rarely 200.
I use this oil in the transmission/ clutch as well, seems as good as anything else ive used.
Mixed riding, mainly highway tho. Lot of 2 up as well.

Thanks for the info.
Before my dipstick thermometer got stolen off my bike and when it was still stock at 70mph the oil was around 210f.
Since the build my oil temps are the same on the highway however they don't climb as fast in the city now because the tune is richer when I'm beating on it and it goes into lean burn once the ecu senses the throttle inputs are stabilized and only minor inputs are being read.
I get 50+mpg on this bike. I gained 12 mpg as well as 30hp and 40tq so in my mind the build was worth every penny and bloody knuckle.

Whoops. I always assumed that since everything was in the same case that they shared the same oil (I guess I have some of that foot-in-mouth disease). Darn good UOA though.

Whoops. I always assumed that since everything was in the same case that they shared the same oil (I guess I have some of that foot-in-mouth disease). Darn good UOA though.

Its stellar. The oil didn't really shear and wear was unaffected even if it did. Fuel dilution wasn't a factor.
I'm not sure if it can get much better than this. I hope my used oil analysis look this good.

Thanks for the comments.
I chose this oil based on BITOG reading and advise, and because its easy to get locally at a fair price.
I got the UOA mainly as a way to hopefully add value to this site and reinforce my decision. No arguments just the numbers for people to see.

Originally Posted By: splineman
Thanks for the comments.
I chose this oil based on BITOG reading and advise, and because its easy to get locally at a fair price.
I got the UOA mainly as a way to hopefully add value to this site and reinforce my decision. No arguments just the numbers for people to see.

Well we love data here. And having used oil analysis of common hdeo's being used in air cooled Harley's is invaluable.
Many wallet bikers don't realize that then don't have to buy the oil with the motorcycle on it,and of course cost more.
I'm going to do a used oil analysis on my 106 with rotella at 3000 miles and amsoil v-twin 60 grade at 5000 miles then compare them head to head.

As Clevy said, great UOA and thanks for posting!

All wear metals look within spec, fuel dilution is negligible, stayed well within a 40 grade for the nearly 3600 miles it was in use, and a high remaining TBN of 10! I wouldn't change a thing at all, everything's wearing well, a very stout additive package, and as you said, a fraction of the price of other motorcycle specific oils.

I wish we could get this Delvac MX! I took a look at your Delvac MX and compared it to our Delvac here in the states and there are some notable differences: (Yours VS Ours)

API- CI-4 PLUS vs CJ-4
Calcium- 2824 vs 1347
Magnesium- 526 vs 911
Molybdenum- 46 vs 48
Boron- 57 vs 65
Phosphorus- 1197 vs 877
Zinc- 1373 vs 1012
TBN- 12 vs 9.66

Keep in mind your highest levels were recorded after 3000+ miles of use while ours was a virgin sample, meaning your add. pack levels could be even higher yet.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/May 2013/delvac.htm

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English-LCW/hea...-mx-15w40.aspx#

Originally Posted By: Analyzer
As Clevy said, great UOA and thanks for posting!

All wear metals look within spec, fuel dilution is negligible, stayed well within a 40 grade for the nearly 3600 miles it was in use, and a high remaining TBN of 10! I wouldn't change a thing at all, everything's wearing well, a very stout additive package, and as you said, a fraction of the price of other motorcycle specific oils.

I wish we could get this Delvac MX! I took a look at your Delvac MX and compared it to our Delvac here in the states and there are some notable differences: (Yours VS Ours)

API- CI-4 PLUS vs CJ-4
Calcium- 2824 vs 1347
Magnesium- 526 vs 911
Molybdenum- 46 vs 48
Boron- 57 vs 65
Phosphorus- 1197 vs 877
Zinc- 1373 vs 1012
TBN- 12 vs 9.66

Keep in mind your highest levels were recorded after 3000+ miles of use while ours was a virgin sample, meaning your add. pack levels could be even higher yet.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/May 2013/delvac.htm

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English-LCW/hea...-mx-15w40.aspx#

Interesting....our Delvac is probably from Asia somewhere? I always though you guys got all the good stuff.
Its luck I chose Delvac, the wholesaler is local to me and friendly....
As I said I am really quite pleased with the results so far and now have numbers not just idle opinion.
Thanks for all the feedback, good to know people are interested in the results.

"Interesting....our Delvac is probably from Asia somewhere? I always though you guys got all the good stuff.
Its luck I chose Delvac, the wholesaler is local to me and friendly....
As I said I am really quite pleased with the results so far and now have numbers not just idle opinion.
Thanks for all the feedback, good to know people are interested in the results."

I'm not exactly sure where the country of origin is for Mobil's Delvac, but it's even better that you're getting the MX version at wholesale prices! Indeed, two UOA's showing consistent formulations and wear numbers definitely appears you're on the right track; keep at it and enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back