"Quieter" Oil Than Mobil 1 For Hyundai Santa Fe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Errtt
2010 Hyundai 2.4L currently using PP. Did try a couple fills of Kendall Full synthetic. Seems the PP was a little more quiet by just a little to me, but might be just me.
When I get near the end of a OCI, I change oil and filter (OEM filter) and then more noticeable it's quieter on the fresh fill. Maybe be a little dilution by then.
No matter, the GDI engine is just not the quietest.

Ya, I have 2 cars with the GDI engine and they are noisy little suckers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Verminator
So I'm assuming the Quaker State OIL itself is good...it's just that Quaker State makes [censored] oil filters? I've read a fair amount of bad things on QS filters, right up there in bad with Fram. But the synthetic oil is good?

I would use Motomaster oil filters before those junk QS filters. QSUD is a good option or Pennz Plat. Id say Penzoil Ultra but you wont find it. I noticed the Bosch filters are cheap at walmart. (Cheaper in Canada than the USA). Keep an eye on Canadian Tire too..they run oil specials every now and than, sometimes on QSUD. If I were you I would try different oils and see what works best.(quietest)

It's been well documented by all the posts here on BITOG that M1 5W-30 and 10W-30 are noisy oils.

By stark contrast, M1 High Mileage 5W-30 and 10W-30 haven't received any noise complaints.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
It's been well documented by all the posts here on BITOG that M1 5W-30 and 10W-30 are noisy oils.

By stark contrast, M1 High Mileage 5W-30 and 10W-30 haven't received any noise complaints.

I found that M1 0w-20 AFE was more noisy in my 04 hemi than pp and eneos 0w-20 and Quaker state defy made it run so quiet I had to look at the tailpipe to make sure it was actually running.

I've read here that the AFE line has lesser acoustical transfer in comparison to most of the M1 line but let's be serious.
Whether the engine is noisy or not that's not a sign of poor lubrication,its a sign of less insulative ability which we know know synthetic oils tend to have a thinner oil film which may translate to more noise,regardless of brand

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Whether the engine is noisy or not that's not a sign of poor lubrication,its a sign of less insulative ability which we know know synthetic oils tend to have a thinner oil film which may translate to more noise,regardless of brand

Insulative ability? You mean like a sound proof room where you go to get your hearing test? Or how about that fiberglass insulation you get at Home Depot with the picture of Pink Panther on the package?
crackmeup2.gif

Now THIS IS INTERESTING!! So if I want to stick with Mobil 1 (and I kinda do) on my 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe, you think by using the High Mileage version of the same 5W30 that I will notice a vast improvement in noise?

Is there anyone else out there that would agree with this?? I mean after reading today's posts I'm just thrilled to find people who know what I'm talking about with the excessive noise I'm currently experiencing. From this I'm almost sold on the Quacker State Ultimate Durability, even though I would never touch a Quaker State oil filter. But if I can remain with Mobil 1, I'd be happy and if it's just a matter of switching to the High Mileage one, I'd be thrilled!

Now THIS IS INTERESTING!! So if I want to stick with Mobil 1 (and I kinda do) on my 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe, you think by using the High Mileage version of the same 5W30 that I will notice a vast improvement in noise?

Is there anyone else out there that would agree with this?? I mean after reading today's posts I'm just thrilled to find people who know what I'm talking about with the excessive noise I'm currently experiencing. From this I'm almost sold on the Quacker State Ultimate Durability, even though I would never touch a Quaker State oil filter. But if I can remain with Mobil 1, I'd be happy and if it's just a matter of switching to the High Mileage one, I'd be thrilled!

I'm not an oil expert and I don't pretend to be. I don't have a PhD in chemistry either. But what I'm good at is recognizing trends. Maybe I'm a trend analysis expert, who knows. I've done a lot of reading of BITOG over the years and I've read a lot of noise complaints about Mobil 1 5W-30 and 10W-30. I don't know exactly why it's noisy, but I do know there's been enough complaints about it to establish a trend. The Mobil 1 High Mileage version is thicker. Whether or not that's the soul reason for it being quieter, I don't know for sure, but my gut feeling tells me it definitely has something to do with it.

Note when making your choice that if you want Mobil 1 High Mileage, you'll be crossing the border into the States to purchase your oil. You can get Mobil Super 2000 here, a high mileage synthetic blend, but not Mobil 1 HM.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
What is QSUD? I'm assuming Quaker State....something?
I have QSUD in all our vehicles right now. Smoothest & quietest oil I've tried. The Hyundai 2.4L in our Sonata is especially sensitive to which oil is used in terms of quietness.

I agree! Quaker State Ultimate Durability(QSUD) makes my engines very quiet
smile.gif
[/quote]

Thanks for this info! I know a lot of people have replied here now and some say M1 is fine and quiet in their vehicles, but you're the only one with a Hyndai so far, and I also have a 2.4 in my Santa Fe, so I suspect your 2.4 in your Sonota is the same or very similar. Did you use M1 before in it by chance? If so did you notice it was noisey for you as well? From your post alone I think I should at least try a jug of QSUD and see how it fares!

Originally Posted By: Ram01
Castrol gtx add pack must be good. Since keeping motors so quiet

That's all my dad has used in everything for as long as I can remember.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
M1 makes it sound like you have solid lifters.

Very cool.

I've heard solid lifters before. If that's the kind of sound the M1 5W-30 makes, that would be unacceptable.

I'm not an oil expert and I don't pretend to be. I don't have a PhD in chemistry either. But what I'm good at is recognizing trends. Maybe I'm a trend analysis expert, who knows. I've done a lot of reading of BITOG over the years and I've read a lot of noise complaints about Mobil 1 5W-30 and 10W-30. I don't know exactly why it's noisy, but I do know there's been enough complaints about it to establish a trend. The Mobil 1 High Mileage version is thicker. Whether or not that's the soul reason for it being quieter, I don't know for sure, but my gut feeling tells me it definitely has something to do with it.

Both Mobil 1 5W-30 and 0W-30 are both on the "thick" side and are thicker than the majority of other oils of equivalent weight at temperature...

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh

Both Mobil 1 5W-30 and 0W-30 are both on the "thick" side and are thicker than the majority of other oils of equivalent weight at temperature...

You must be referring to M1 5W-30 HM...

Mobil 1 AFE and HM have been excellent in the Honda 2.4 I had and current 03 Subaru.

After 4 runs of Mobil 1, I don't get any noise at all on start-up with M1 HM 5w30.

I run the 0w40 Mobil one in my Hyundai Genesis Coupe. It runs quiet. The fuel injectors make a racket though.

Hyundai engines are usually noisier than most i find... Great engines just noisy. when i was in Florida on vacation i listened to my sisters 2011 santa fe v6 it sounded like a diesel every morning when first started. That was when she had only 740 miles she now has over 60,000 miles and never had a problem to date..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back