Interesting conversation with Mike Rowe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two things:

1. The controversial part about WalMart in my opinion is that WalMart claims to now be putting money into American jobs. Whether they actually are doing that, I'm not sure, but WalMart did play a big role in manufacturing moving overseas.

2. There are certainly jobs out there, I agree, but the point is they aren't sustainable jobs. Most of them are minimum wage with no benefits, and limits on how many hours you can work. I have friends who have graduated with 4 year degrees and couldn't find jobs, so they are working at Dunkin Donuts to pay off their student loans.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

2. There are certainly jobs out there, I agree, but the point is they aren't sustainable jobs. Most of them are minimum wage with no benefits, and limits on how many hours you can work. I have friends who have graduated with 4 year degrees and couldn't find jobs, so they are working at Dunkin Donuts to pay off their student loans.

Same. The problem is, whenever someone wants to do something that can pay people $15-$20+ per hour, they get driven out ... at least here in NY.

We can *NOT* build transfer cases or make guns - but building a mall is fine.

He spoke about the jobs in the energy industry in ND. Seems pretty sustainable to me. And I'm sorry if you got a 4 year degree in some [censored] course, sure you will have a tough time getting a job. As they both said, think outside the box and don't be afraid of some hard work and you can make $100k a year...

I do agree that people with good health, average smarts, and above average drive, will make a living.

Originally Posted By: itguy08

He spoke about the jobs in the energy industry in ND. Seems pretty sustainable to me. And I'm sorry if you got a 4 year degree in some [censored] course, sure you will have a tough time getting a job. As they both said, think outside the box and don't be afraid of some hard work and you can make $100k a year...

I agree with thinking outside the box. Hard work is the only way I have gotten to where I am, so I also agree with that, but we have to remember the entire country can't work there. Have you ever been to an oil field? It is a pretty physically demanding job, not everyone is able to do that. I know people who are consultants and make plenty of money. They also can't have a family since they move around the world every 6 months.

The lack of sustainable jobs that pay decent also hurts growth in other areas of a community. Its hard to establish a company that sells well-made non-outsourced products in an area where nobody can afford those products.

WalMart does so well because its usually in areas where people have little choice in what they can afford. Most of the employees at WalMart shop for their groceries there. They don't leave work at WalMart and stop at a Whole Foods to pick up a few things. There are people who will be cheap no matter what, but I think it is safe to say that if people could afford something that is better but slightly more expensive they would spend the money.

Edit: Not trying to be rude or anything, just playing devil's advocate.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
If your in the 21-35 age group his is good advice. But once you hit 50, nobody wants to hire you. There was a time when your experience made you desirable. Now all employers want is a warm body that will work for less money then you can realisticly live on. With no benefits. Sure there are lots of jobs around,mostly part time work. But living on minimum wage is something that won't happen. When your making $10 an hour, and the price of gas goes up 20 cents a gallon in two weeks, and food goes up in price because of a draught,where do you get the extra cash to keep the boat floating? I'm sure Mike Rowe has enough cash to weather that storm, but alot of non- celebrity people don't. I know more people that are hurting, then are not.I haven't been able to find a fulltime job in the field I've worked in for 40 years.Just partime, no benefit jobs.So at 60 I'm supposed to get retrained in some job field where none will hire me because I'm too old? You will notice that people that are well to do, and have super stable jobs, cannot relate to people that have been shoved aside to make way for cheap help from out of the country. Even a college degree don't help much these days. Hard to pay off your college loans on minimum wage.,,

If you can't find a job, adapt. When you graduate high school nobody tells you that the first marketable skill you pick up will carry you through to retirement. It isn't even guaranteed that the initial skill you choose will pay anything at all.

The world changes. If you can't or won't change with it the problem is not the world, it's you.

Originally Posted By: tig1
I do agree that people with good health, average smarts, and above average drive, will make a living.

Excellent point, this is key. Anyone who has drive will be able to accomplish what they want. I find that there is a lack of drive in society today, which is unfortunate.

If I lost my job tomorrow for some reason, I'd be talking to people I know and knocking on doors that same day looking for another job. It seems that people don't have the drive to do that, or in many cases take the easy way out. I have a friend who was on unemployment for months simply because "there's no jobs and its too hard to find one". I asked him how many places he applied, and he told me only three. He told me that it would have been less money than unemployment, and its easier to just get paid doing nothing. In my opinion, being on government support would be embarrassing, but I guess not many people my age share that same idea.

When I tell people I work and go to school they seem very surprised. I thought it was the norm since I have to work to pay for college. It seems people usually do one or the other. I have friends who go to class twice a day and goof off the rest of the day. They say they don't work because they have to study.
21.gif
I can't imagine this form of work ethic will be beneficial for their future careers.

itguy08 said:
jeepman3071 said:
I agree with thinking outside the box. Hard work is the only way I have gotten to where I am, so I also agree with that, but we have to remember the entire country can't work there. Have you ever been to an oil field? It is a pretty physically demanding job, not everyone is able to do that. I know people who are consultants and make plenty of money. They also can't have a family since they move around the world every 6 months.

I've not been but I would think that there are other well paying support jobs around the oil fields. I know I most likely wouldn't be able to do the work. But if I were out of college and the choice was oil field or Dunks I'd think I'd try the oil field. Consulting as you said is also demanding work but fresh out of college if I was offered decent money to consult I'd do it too, if nothing for the experience and connections that could land you something permanent.

Quote:
The lack of sustainable jobs that pay decent also hurts growth in other areas of a community. Its hard to establish a company that sells well-made non-outsourced products in an area where nobody can afford those products.

True but how does it start? Pay people well and they can afford your product. Henry Ford got it - he paid his workers enough that they could afford a Model T. Sadly it's something lost on today's business people. People have to be able to afford what they make (unless it's something exhorbinant).

Quote:
WalMart does so well because its usually in areas where people have little choice in what they can afford. Most of the employees at WalMart shop for their groceries there.

Yes but studies have shown Wal-Mart is no more or less expensive on average than, say Target or the local grocery store. The discount is what keeps employees shopping there. Growing up, Mom worked at a department store. Got a 25% discount. Guess where we shopped? Because it was 25% cheaper than anywhere else.

Quote:
Edit: Not trying to be rude or anything, just playing devil's advocate.
thumbsup2.gif

I'm originally from Jersey - that's not rude at all!
smile.gif

Two things:

1. The controversial part about WalMart in my opinion is that WalMart claims to now be putting money into American jobs. Whether they actually are doing that, I'm not sure, but WalMart did play a big role in manufacturing moving overseas.

Just totally not true. Any other mass retailers would buy the same products from the same supply chain if Walmart didn't exist. NAFTA played the big part in job loss in the US.

Originally Posted By: Mykl

The world changes. If you can't or won't change with it the problem is not the world, it's you.

+1000 exactly.

WalMart does so well because its usually in areas where people have little choice in what they can afford. Most of the employees at WalMart shop for their groceries there. They don't leave work at WalMart and stop at a Whole Foods to pick up a few things. There are people who will be cheap no matter what, but I think it is safe to say that if people could afford something that is better but slightly more expensive they would spend the money.

The problem is that these people will do exactly that, forcing the continued offshoring and race for the bottom, and then cry woe is me. Meanwhile they are putting their neighbor or countryman out of a job, and then claiming poverty and requesting increases in their benefits. It just doesnt add up. Usually they will also be putting hundreds out with phones, cable, etc. at the same time. It just doesnt add up to me...

If you can't find a job, adapt.

Why didn't I think of that. Now can you tell me how I'm supposed to live in 2014, on the same amount of income that I had in 1984? That should be easy for such a knowledgeable person like yourself.,,

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
If you can't find a job, adapt.

Why didn't I think of that. Now can you tell me how I'm supposed to live in 2014, on the same amount of income that I had in 1984? That should be easy for such a knowledgeable person like yourself.,,

If you maintain an expectation that somebody is going to tell you specifically what you're supposed to do, you're already lost.

Sad to see folks without work, there is a tremendous human cost when a guy WANTS work and can't get it. Some of course aren't looking too hard.

I like Mike, he seems pretty level headed...

When I tell people I work and go to school they seem very surprised. I thought it was the norm since I have to work to pay for college. It seems people usually do one or the other. I have friends who go to class twice a day and goof off the rest of the day. They say they don't work because they have to study.
21.gif
I can't imagine this form of work ethic will be beneficial for their future careers.

Yup, this reminds me of a recent thread asking to petition for higher student loan tax deduction. Many level headed people tried to explain to the OP why it's a bad idea, but many, including the OP just wanted a handout.
I know of few people that treated their "studying" as a big vacation, maxing out the student loans with absolutely no desire to have a part time job to reduce the borrowing. They are the ones to complain today about their debt.

I was fortunate enough not to have any student loans. I say fortunate, because I realize not everybody can graduate without any debt simply because the part time jobs don't pay enough. But the hardworking and motivated people will still have a part time job just to reduce the amounts being borrowed. That's what separates the motivated people from the entitled ones.

There is one aspect being constant throughout these types of threads, the hard working and motivated people don’t complain much about student loans or the fact that they have to pay them back. They understand that it’s the cost of “doing business” so to speak or an investment in their future that will pay dividends later on in their life.

The entitled ones are often the group that has problems with their debt and the fact that they have to pay it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back