Cut Open Honda A02 Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: GarrettRay
Originally Posted By: sir1900

What I'd be interested in knowing is how well the A02 holds up after 2 OCIs totalling 10-15k miles, assuming there are DIYers who follow exactly what's stated in the manual (ie: filter every other oil change)

I have a 2014 Odyssey and just checked my manual. It doesn't say to change the filter every other oil change. It implies to change it every fill. Has Honda changed their stance on this? If so, I wonder why?

Does the Odyssey use the iMid display? If so, it'll tell you what items are due. Oil filter appears every second OCI.

What I'd be interested in knowing is how well the A02 holds up after 2 OCIs totalling 10-15k miles, assuming there are DIYers who follow exactly what's stated in the manual (ie: filter every other oil change)

I have a 2014 Odyssey and just checked my manual. It doesn't say to change the filter every other oil change. It implies to change it every fill. Has Honda changed their stance on this? If so, I wonder why?

Your 2014 Odyssey has (or should) a MM system as shown in your OM maintenance section. You should note there is and 'A' and 'B' dash display code. 'A' display means change oil only, 'B' display means change oil and filter. And, they alternate with each oci. It doesn't appear Honda has changed their stance.

As for whether the A02 will hold up for two MM or OM ocis, Honda warrants them for that long, so they stand behind them when used as specified. As I don't use the A02 as standard practice can't say, but if I chose that filter I wouldn't have an issue thinking it could go that far.

So I had some warranty work done on the Civic this morning and while I was at the dealership, I picked up a A02.

I noticed the gasket is the O-ring type, not the flat ones you typically see in the TG or other brands of filters.

For the price I paid, unless I am paranoid the filter will cause warranty work to be denied, I don't think I would fork out the cash or make an extra effort to seek out the A02. There are, in my opinion, better options for less money.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

Your 2014 Odyssey has (or should) a MM system as shown in your OM maintenance section. You should note there is and 'A' and 'B' dash display code. 'A' display means change oil only, 'B' display means change oil and filter. And, they alternate with each oci. It doesn't appear Honda has changed their stance.

As for whether the A02 will hold up for two MM or OM ocis, Honda warrants them for that long, so they stand behind them when used as specified. As I don't use the A02 as standard practice can't say, but if I chose that filter I wouldn't have an issue thinking it could go that far.

Yes, it uses the Maintenance Minder...and I will reset it when I do the oil changes, like I just did last week. I plan to do my own oil changes, as I have done for all my vehicles, and I will not bide by Honda's MM as instruction of when to do so. Their OCIs are way too long for my tastes. The oil and filter both will be changed every 5K. (What a dinky sized oil filter!) I sent a sample off to Schaeffer's to find out information on the factory fill after 4,633 miles of use. Honda says to keep the factory oil in for 10K.....but I don't think so! I feel like I should have drained it around 1,500, but I left it in a little longer as some posts from Honda bulletins on other sites recommended it. I'll post the report if any of you are interested.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

Yes, it uses the Maintenance Minder...and I will reset it when I do the oil changes, like I just did last week. I plan to do my own oil changes, as I have done for all my vehicles, and I will not bide by Honda's MM as instruction of when to do so. Their OCIs are way too long for my tastes. The oil and filter both will be changed every 5K. (What a dinky sized oil filter!) I sent a sample off to Schaeffer's to find out information on the factory fill after 4,633 miles of use. Honda says to keep the factory oil in for 10K.....but I don't think so! I feel like I should have drained it around 1,500, but I left it in a little longer as some posts from Honda bulletins on other sites recommended it. I'll post the report if any of you are interested.

That would be great if you could post it. Keep doing what your doing if it helps you sleep at night. 5K oil changes will take that engine a long long way.

If you don't like the little Honda oil filter try a filter for a Honda S2000
Honda 15400-PCX-004
It's the largest filter that Honda put on it's cars and it's built like a tank.

ROD

Originally Posted By: rrounds
If you don't like the little Honda oil filter try a filter for a Honda S2000
Honda 15400-PCX-004
It's the largest filter that Honda put on it's cars and it's built like a tank.

ROD

But doesnt that filter have a higher bypass setting? In other words too high for the other Hondas?

I've never seen the bypass number given by Honda, but the one I took apart had a 20 psi bypass. Being a larger filter it will flow more oil than the smaller Honda filters with less PSID.

ROD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back