Comcast to Acquire Time Warner Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
Netflix contemplating raising streaming prices for lost revenue due to this deal.

Actually, the article you linked to claims otherwise:

Quote:
The $8 monthly price for a Netflix subscription in the U.S. may eventually rise, but the increase probably won’t be tied to the Comcast deal.

Netflix agrees to comcast demands for more money to stream their video services. Netflix contemplating raising streaming prices for lost revenue due to this deal.

http://www.buffalonews.com/business/getting-a-clearer-picture-on-the-comcast-netflix-deal-20140224

Not exactly. Netflix is footing the bill for direct access to comcast's network, instead of paying a middleman (like cogent) in order to get the video streams into comcast's network. Netflix would have paid that money anyway, to a 3rd party. Now they are just paying comcast directly instead and are likely getting a far wider "pipe" than they were previously getting.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Netflix agrees to comcast demands for more money to stream their video services. Netflix contemplating raising streaming prices for lost revenue due to this deal.

http://www.buffalonews.com/business/getting-a-clearer-picture-on-the-comcast-netflix-deal-20140224

Not exactly. Netflix is footing the bill for direct access to comcast's network, instead of paying a middleman (like cogent) in order to get the video streams into comcast's network. Netflix would have paid that money anyway, to a 3rd party. Now they are just paying comcast directly instead and are likely getting a far wider "pipe" than they were previously getting.

I bet the money comcast is getting, it's way more than a third party would get

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Netflix contemplating raising streaming prices for lost revenue due to this deal.

Actually, the article you linked to claims otherwise:

Quote:
The $8 monthly price for a Netflix subscription in the U.S. may eventually rise, but the increase probably won’t be tied to the Comcast deal.

I agree, "wink, wink"
grin2.gif

That's pure speculation :\

That's pure speculation :\

I'm gonna agree with Nick on this one.

Netflix, Cognet, and all the ISPs were having their issues long before the Comcast/Netflix agreement.

Before the Comcast/Netflix agreement, Netflix interfaced with Cognet and Cognet interfaced with the ISPs. Cognet blamed Verizon, Comcast, and TWC for hiccups in the Netflix service and claimed it was because Cognet was protesting price increases. The ISPs claimed they were innocent and, last I read, Verizon's claim of innocence was confirmed: It wasn't an ISP issue.

Look at it from Netflix's perspective. Cognet isn't getting it done. They're having service issues. They're protesting price hikes. They're getting into public finger pointing. None of this is good for business.

The opportunity presents itself to align directly with the largest ISP and cut Cognet from the equation. They take it. Even if it does cost more that it previously did with Cognet (which I doubt), it eliminates a potential service hiccup, eliminates a bunch of headaches, and allows Netflix to tie directly into Comcast's pipe.

Netflix is a hog. Some estimates show Netflix consuming 1/3 of total consumer usage at peak times. If net neutrality rules don't pan out, Netflix needs a plan. Aligning with Comcast and other ISPs now gives Netflix the advantage of negotiating directly with the ISPs on costs, as well as providing a better service for the customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back