McAfee is useless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
MSE is even more useless than McAfee. ...

I am not surprised. But at least it is not intrusive. For people with safe surfing habits, the risks are still low.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I don't agree with Avast being the best, though I used to many years ago (for free solutions). I currently think the free Bitdefender product is better. But that's my personal opinion. I also think ESET beats them both handily, but of course it isn't free.

I meant to say Avast is one of the best. I don't doubt that there are a lot of good ones out there.

Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc

I meant to say Avast is one of the best. I don't doubt that there are a lot of good ones out there.

Yup, I agree that there are a number of reasonably good free offerings out there, Avast being one. Off the top of my head I'd say Avira, Avast and Bitdefender are all good choices for people who simply refuse to pay the money for something like Kaspersky or ESET. Bitdefender has been my current poison of choice for people whose machines I've worked on and don't want to pay for an AV solution.

Did not know BitDefender was free... interesting.

Thanks, I'll have to try it on a VM and see how it is and start putting it on peoples machines.

I don't think anybody can go too wrong with Kaspersky and ESET. I have tried Bitdefender a few times (it is often rated number one) and I have always had problems with it being buggy software. Even Microsoft seems to like the idea of somebody using Malwarebytes Antimalware with MSE or Windows Defender. I just do not think MSE or Windows Defender are good enough although I like them. Beyond Kaspersky and ESET I would look at TrendMicro and F-Secure.

Originally Posted By: redhat
Did not know BitDefender was free... interesting.

Thanks, I'll have to try it on a VM and see how it is and start putting it on peoples machines.

There is a free version of it that does not include some of the features in Bitdefender Internet Security, like a 2 way firewall. But it does have the basic Bitdefender antimalware engine. Bitdefender currently seems to have the best behavioral/heuristic based detections from what I've read.

I wouldn't use Bitdefender on a lark anymore. I had the paid version, their Internet Security suite, and I found it quite intrusive, heavy, and buggy as well. It includes a right good number of tools, but they either don't work (their defragger crashed on two of my computers) or they're extraneous and cause slower boot times (like Wallet).

To cap it off, after you uninstall Bitdefender, you have to use a tool like CCleaner to go in and clean the rest of it out. It left all of its startup applets enabled, and I had to go in and remove those entries.

Quality product...

I paid three times as much for a 1-year license of ESET as I did for a 2-year license of Bitdefender. And I'm tickled pink with how ESET runs on my machines.

the newest version of mcCrappy scored high on that AV test as well.

unfortunately. I tried it out (free from time warner)

on a b815 laptop w/2gb ram

i checked back on it in a few days

It was using 350MB Ram and using 65% of the cpu to scan when I was trying to update adobe acrobat.

The update that took about 8seconds on my desktop took over 7min to install.

What a total piece of horseturd.

McAfee has to be the worst antivirus software. I always got viruses with McAfee. I notice alot of companies push the "free" McAfee too.

It seems to me that even the FTC could potentially take action against McAfee. After all, if it is not protecting computers and causing all kinds of problems on computers than there are false claims being made, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back