PowerFlow vs Premium Plus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Team,

I was recently at Murray's and they had all PowerFlow oil filters on sale for $1.49 with a sign that said they are made by Purolator. I went berserk and bought an armload for my 2000 Acura TL and my 1998 Ford Explorer. I did a search here and found one post that seemed to indicate that these filters are flimsier than a
confused.gif
Premium Plus. Has anyone torm these apart side by side? I don't want to use these to save a few cents if they are indeed inadequate. Before I found BITOG I would not have given a rat's posterior about such details. Now I feel guilt and angst.
blush.gif
)

Full flow oil filters don't do much anyway so if it does not fall apart it will be as good as most anything you put in there.

No clue on the filteration or flow of the Powerflow, but we know the Premium plus. I'm sure it's a good filter though.

I've done a little research on the Powerflo oil filter by Purolator, decided to go with it since oil filter selection around here is pretty lousy. I have read and heard that is just like the Purolator Premium Plus, which is good enough for me. The question I have thoough is: Why the **** do I have to pay $9 + tax for a filter that I see in this forum for approximately $2 in the USA? The majority of "good" filters where I live are in the $9-10 price range (Wix, AC Delco, MOtorcraft, etc.) I'm sure all of my Canadian friends are in the same boat. Are these auto supply stores anywhere in upstate NY (Nia.Falls, Buffalo) I live just across the border.

I bought a Power Flo a few years ago and did cut it up. Dig deeply enough here, and you will find one of my posts showing it had about the same filter area as the Premium Plus. Haven't seen them here since Advance Auto bought out Parts America.

Most of the big auto chains have store locators on their web site. Should be able to find ones close the the Canadian border. Are your politicians protecting you from Champion?

Hey Labman, I don't think it's political, but if you want to buy a half decent oil filter here in Canada (at least in Ontario), it's going to cost you $10+. Champions are hard to find, they would be that price too. Even the bottom of the line Fram is $7. Absolutely crazy. Might do a little "over the river" shopping. Supertech at Walmart, Purolator at some auto store, etc. Any Canadian friends present with a few suggestions?

rocketman,

The Buffalo area has a large supply of auto parts stores. There are at least two Pep Boys, several AutoZones and a lot of Advance Autos. There are also at least two WalMarts if you are looking for SuperTech filters. The company websites will give you exact locations. If you need a Zip code, try 14210.

Good luck on the Peace Bridge.

quote:

Originally posted by rocketman:
Hey Labman, I don't think it's political, but if you want to buy a half decent oil filter here in Canada (at least in Ontario), it's going to cost you $10+. Champions are hard to find, they would be that price too. Even the bottom of the line Fram is $7. Absolutely crazy. Might do a little "over the river" shopping. Supertech at Walmart, Purolator at some auto store, etc. Any Canadian friends present with a few suggestions?

offtopic.gif

One way to figure out what's happening with the pricing would be to look at the cost of OEM parts. A lot of parts for American cars are made in Canada just like major parts of the cars themselves. If the price difference is more than the exchange rate says it should be then something is fishy...

Checked my records. The PF 1177 I chopped up a couple of years ago was made in Canada. This cheapskate never paid over $3 for an AC spin on. Wal-Mart wants your money. Count on it, if the government was stopping them somehow, they would be selling oil filters for a lot less than $7 in Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back