Outdoor Car Cover - safe for long term use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

I know many car covers are intended for indoor use, and the wrong car cover can cause far more damage than it prevents, but has fabric development come far enough that there are car covers that can be used outdoors on a regular basis? I know there are plenty of covers that are marketed for outdoor use, but that isn't the same question. Is there one you would use if your car was kept outdoors, or would you just keep the paint sealed and waxed?

Thanks in advance.

I have a weathershield hp, and I use it on a car that sits outside in the summer. I use it to block uv primarily, but also to prevent all the seeds from the maple trees from getting onto the car.

I ONLY ever put it on after a wash, dry and application of zaino zcs. I can't say that I've noted any scratching or marring of the paint. All my cars are dent free as we are really careful, so it would be easy to notice something abnormal..

Anything that comes in direct contact with the paint and has the potential to rub it always makes me nervous. But on the other hand it is certainly more protection than having it in the elements. As long as it won't be under trees I'd leave it out but treat the finish with a semi-permanent coating like Opti-Coat 2.0. It's a revolutionary product, someone like The Critic could tell you a lot more about it. If it's under a tree, cover it, no matter what.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I have a weathershield hp, and I use it on a car that sits outside in the summer. I use it to block uv primarily, but also to prevent all the seeds from the maple trees from getting onto the car.

I ONLY ever put it on after a wash, dry and application of zaino zcs. I can't say that I've noted any scratching or marring of the paint. All my cars are dent free as we are really careful, so it would be easy to notice something abnormal..
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

That is the particular model cover that got me to reconsider using a cover. I have a red 370Z and one thing I have noticed is that red cars seem fade prone. Not sure if that is in my mind or is chemistry at work.

@gofast - thanks for the input. You reminded me I need to checkout Opti-Coat (either way).

I use one every night since I don`t have a garage. I`ve never noticed any scratching/scuffing,but of course it`s a give and take. I`ll take the risk of a car cover sratching any day over having the elements constantly bombarding my car.

Is there a cable at the bottom of it to make sure the cover is snug and secure? That helps the cover is model specific.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back