Volvo S40 turbo with Supertech Synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a 2004 (early) Volvo S40 with 1.9 litre turbo. I do not have the history on the oil changes or types used. I am thinking of going for Walmart Supertech Synthetic, any thoughts? opinions? regrets?
confused.gif

TIA! poikaa

Quoted from Amsoil applications guide.

Synthetic SAE 0W-30 or SAE 0W-40 oils are recommended for
driving in extreme temperatures (hot or cold), when towing
a trailer over long distances, and when driving in
mountainous areas.

They recommend 5w30 API SL or greater so yes you can use Supertech synthetic.

Mobil 1 0W40 is the smart choice if you operate in the mountains or tow

Quote:
2004 VOLVO S40 1.9L 4-cyl Engine Code B4204T4 Turbo

LUBRICANTS & FLUIDS: Lookup Another Vehicle
Engine Oil
Grade 1......SL
Maximum Performance SAE 5W-30 Signature Series 100% Synthetic Motor Oil (ASLQT)
Performance Plus XL 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil (XLFQT)
Performance OE 5W30 Synthetic Motor Oil (OEFQT) Below 86 F......5W-30 [1]
Automatic Transmission,AW55-50SN......TIV [2]
Signature Series Multi-Vehicle Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) (ATFQT)
OE Multi-Vehicle Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (OTFQT)
Fluids
Brake Fluid......HBH
AMSOIL Brake Fluid DOT-4 (BF4SN) [3]
Clutch Fluid......HBH
AMSOIL Brake Fluid DOT-4 (BF4SN) [3]
Power Steering Fluid......PS
Power Steering Fluid (PSFCN) [4]
[1] Synthetic SAE 0W-30 or SAE 0W-40 oils are recommended for
driving in extreme temperatures (hot or cold), when towing
a trailer over long distances, and when driving in
mountainous areas.
[2] Use JWS3309, Volvo P/N 1161 540
[3] Hydraulic Brake Fluid, DOT 4
[4] Pentosin CHF 11S P/N 1161529
FILTERS:
Oil Filter MANN Oil Filter (HU819x)
Oil Filter WIX 57021 Oil Filter
Air Filter Absolute Efficiency Air Filter (EAA29)
Air Filter MANN Air Filter (C35941)

Looks like they're saying 5W-30 synthetic is preferred for normal driving conditions below 86 F, but to go 0W-30, 0W-40 synthetic for extreme conditions like towing a boat up a mountain or something. Personally, I'd go with whichever kept the engine the quietest and that's usually the thicker grades.

And that is why I am happy by joining this group! Very good answers and more.... Thank you! Tranny change is next.
wink.gif

poikaa

Hey Poikaa,

I had a 2000 S40 for about 5 years. 5w-30 was reco'd and I used everything from 10w-30 to 0w-30 but always used synthetic. Always worked and that was across 3 states all over the country, from -15 to 110 degree weather. I believe OCI was recommended 7500 or 1 year, and I think that's what the car computer used if you synced the maintenance light correct. For filters, I always used PureOnes.

As far as tranny fluid goes, I used Redline D4 and added a magnifine filter. This car does not have a tranny filter. The magnefine was a little tricky because I had to add a lot of extra line and did a large loop in the space by the radiator and about the plastic shrouds under the car. I used the line exchange method and was pretty straight forward - drain pan, fill up +1 extra quart and then flush 2 quarts at time.

PM me if you have any questions. Kind of a quirky car, but not bad. Great forum support at http://www.30forty50.com/forum/

Nothing wrong with ST IMO, but for a turbo I'd spend the extra few bucks and get a top tier name brand full syn for it. Oil is cheap, turbos are not.

Castrol Extended Performance (gold bottle), M1 or either of the common Pennzoils synthetics would be good picks.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
How does it it look under the fill cap?

Not too bad, some small patches of black crust but not thick. Mostly clean metal, still it is unknown what oil was used as I am the third owner.
113k on the volvo and the engine runs very smooth with quick starts in cold weather. When up to temperature the 'beast' runs great!
Tranny shifts well even when cold but I will do the 3x3 oil change and may add a filter. This depends on the colour of the oil when I pull the dipstick.... speaking of that it is in the tightest of places! Only paid 4k for the car!
smile.gif

I used SuperTech Synthetic in a 2003 S40 that I drove for a couple years during college. Never had a single issue with it. Dumped the oil every 5,000. I was driving in Houston all week, but every weekend I went home (300 mile round trip).

Never had a single issue with the car until my brother borrowed it and totaled the dang thing! Good thing I had just bought my truck!

I have been using Super Tech 5w-30 in my wife's 04 Saab Aero for years. She only racks up about 6000 miles/ year but I do two oil changes with NAPA Silver filters. The Super Tech is very good oil. No need to spend more or look much further.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back