Help! 99 Ford Explorer cooling system woes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to help a family member out and the problems are mounting and I am not sure where to go from here.

99 Explorer with the 4.0L.

Vehicle had a new radiator, thermostat, and water pump last spring after it was purchased. The gauges indicated overheating, the stock radiator was leaking, and the mounts were rusted out. The work was done by an unfamiliar shop.

Vehicle started smelling like coolant a couple months ago. No leaks found, no white exhaust, no coolant in oil. Coolant would "disappear" at the rate of about a couple ounces a week.

Last week it began visibly leaking coolant from somewhere near the bottom of the radiator or block. I was not there and did not see, that's just what I was told.

It was brought to a trusted shop a week ago, where the technicians said the stock thermostat was improperly replaced, and the thermostat housing was cracked. Those items were taken care of. They also replaced some hoses that were stock, the serpentine belt (also stock), and belt tensioner.

The vehicle seemed to be fine for a few days. Yesterday it seemed the faint coolant smell returned, but the levels did not go down. I took a quick peek, but it was night time and just using a flashlight. The only thing unusual that I saw was a tiny amount of clear liquid bubbling like seltzer, kind of hard to describe, but it was coming from a place where a smaller hose met the radiator on the upper right side. Below the "upper radiator hose" as I recall. I believe the fitting looked like crimped aluminum. It smelled like it was definitely not coolant, maybe some kind of uncured adhesive or something from the work earlier in the week.

Since the defective stock radiator was removed last year, the temp gauge had always remained in the normal range....until tonight.

Now, the gauge remains in the safe zone only when the heat is off. When the heat is turned on, it starts to climb to nearly overheating. There is a faint smell of coolant but the levels appear normal.

I just spoke to them again, they say the gauge is moving between about the halfway and the 3/4 point in its range. It has never gone all the way up to overheating.

I forgot to say, a defective radiator cap was also suspected and was replaced this week. Could it be the wrong one? Stock and replacement are rated 16PSI....perhaps it should be an 18 or something? I just spoke to someone about this and he mentioned that as a possible factor.

I am not well experienced in cooling systems so I don't have a good guess, only that it may be related to the thermostat.

Anyone have an idea? And is it safe for them to drive like this? I said it would probably be OK as long as they keep the heat off (not easy to do here in the northeast, but it's been warm lately), and get the vehicle looked at on Monday.

Thanks in advance to all who take the time to read this

There is a restriction in coolant flow someplace in the system.The cap is rated @ 16lbs so your fine there.Have someone flush the entire cooling system,then pressure test the cooling system to see where the leak is.

Okay, THANK YOU so much for that little guidance!

Do you think it is OK for them to use the vehicle the rest of the weekend? There is no place nearby that is open to bring it to.

Originally Posted By: methusaleh
Okay, THANK YOU so much for that little guidance!

Do you think it is OK for them to use the vehicle the rest of the weekend? There is no place nearby that is open to bring it to.

It all depends on how far,how often they are driving it.
Normally,I'd say leave it parked til it's fixed,over-heating a motor is a costly repair.

Thank you. They just need to do basic errands. Air temp is around 25-30 lately, and it appears to not have come close to overheating yet (knock on wood!)

As long as they are VERY closely watching the heat gauge they should be ok. Also make sure the oil level is on the high reading on the dipstick as it helps a little to coll the engine. Make sure they know that anything above halfway on the heat gauge and that engine could overheat very quickly and grenade the engine.

Also, is this the OHV or SOHC version of the 4.0?

I hate to say it but there may be a head gasket problem. Seems like a lot of things are being replaced chasing the real root cause.

It just doesn't make sense that the heater loop is causing overheating. It may be a perceived cause effect that is in error.

Pressure testing the cooling system will show where the problem is located.
wink.gif

Buy a gallon of antifreeze and add a gallon of water to it. Carry the 2 gallons in the wayback. A 15 yr old Ford is bound to be needing stuff just 'cuz it is olld.
laugh.gif

Thanks for all of the replies!

Vehicle survived about 30 miles of driving since I last posted. No notable loss of coolant when it was cold this morning. I may not get to take a look before they bring it in for service Monday.

Gotta know if this is the SOHC or OHV version of the 4.0L V6. Head gaskets are not uncommon on the OHV version of the engine. The SOHCs always had issues with the t-stat housings, occasionally head gaskets, and almost always timing cassette issues.

If it was a SOHC, the aftermarket t-stat housings are junk, they crack easy and we have replaced them with OE ones numerous times.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Gotta know if this is the SOHC or OHV version of the 4.0L V6. Head gaskets are not uncommon on the OHV version of the engine. The SOHCs always had issues with the t-stat housings, occasionally head gaskets, and almost always timing cassette issues.

If it was a SOHC, the aftermarket t-stat housings are junk, they crack easy and we have replaced them with OE ones numerous times.

The ONLY thing that ever failed on my 2000 SOHC was the thermostat.

Yup, you can't miss it, most of the 99s were OHV. If it seems underpowered all the time it is the OHV. The SOHC had quite a bit more power.

Look online for photos of the SOHC and the OHV engines. It isn't difficult to spot the difference if you have a photo of the engine.

Update...the owners brought the vehicle to a shop where the cooling system was pressurized. It turns out that tiny "seltzer-like" leak I saw is indeed coolant and can be significant under operating pressures. Time for a new radiator! Thankfully the one they have is covered under warranty after it was replaced last year.

I still do not know if it is SOHC or OHV, haven't seen the vehicle in a while...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back