Additive curious?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ Mola:

Would you still agree that LC20 is beneficial in terms of anti-oxidation qualities when added to modern API SN/ILSAC GF-5 brand name conventional motor oil?

(*reason why I asked is because I see SN has much better base lubricant than what it used to be back in SL or even SM days....where base oil back then can be all over the place...*)

Q.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

So the MolaFrankenBrew was about 75% LCD20 and 25% Schaeffer's #132.

How much of that mix went into a 5 qt. sump? Or how much per qt. of oil was the recommended amount?

Originally Posted By: Quest
@ Mola:

Would you still agree that LC20 is beneficial in terms of anti-oxidation qualities when added to modern API SN/ILSAC GF-5 brand name conventional motor oil?

(*reason why I asked is because I see SN has much better base lubricant than what it used to be back in SL or even SM days....where base oil back then can be all over the place...*)

Q.

With today's oils, I don't think it is any longer needed.

Mola. Quick question for you.
I removed an oil pan on an engine that i had run MoS2 in a few times. The car only saw 100 mi last year and 2K the year before so it sits in the garage a lot.

Anyway the one with the pan drop had what seemed to be MoS2 on the bottom, it wasn't sludge.
It was a slippery black substance with a dark grey/green tint to it.
Does MoS2 drop out of suspension when left sitting over an extended period?
Once the engine was back in service why didn't the stuff go back into suspension?

When i first started in this business SE was the current norm with a lot of SC around and MoS2 was a common additive in Germany along with 15w40 oil.
10w30 was available but expensive so we used straight 20w or mixed the two so the engine would even crank on some winters days.

Over the last 5 years or so i see what appears to be a different oil, they seem to be able to clean well not just stop further deposits.
Like everything else in modern cars things evolve and improve as has engine oil and other lubricants.

We did use cleaners of all sorts and anti wear additives because the oils of the time didn't do well at all, sludge, varnish and sticking parts were the norm.
I try to stay current on the technology, it makes me a better mechanic, it seems that these types of additive may be coming to the end of their useful life. Whats your take?

I can be accused of changing my mind on things and thats correct, if someone asked me what the best set of points were or the best carb i would have to say none, 30 years ago i would have given a list.
I will still use cleaners on engines that need it but i can see the end to that is very near.
PEA and solvent based products in the fuel are still on the menu but who knows what will happen with the fuel over the next decade.

This post is not an attack of any particular product or type of additive just general out loud thinking and a desire to learn and stay current.

I've seen MoS2 settle down (as sediment like stuff) at the bottom of the oil pan in the early 90s (Molyslip was what I experienced before, with some customers did that also), which, while perplexing, led me to believe that excessive Moly in oil (in the form of OTC additive, not actual blend into oil as part of the chemistry) may not be a good thing afterall.

I not lay my faith and believes in properly formulated brand name motor oil, not just some oil or magic elixir blend that people are known to do here on BITOG and then claim bragging rights about. If thinner oil is used: I'd rather buy lower viscosity motor oil and use it 100% instead of cutting it down with some wahla-wahla stuff which claimed to be magic to all things.

Motor oil, the way I see it, is now better/more robust than ever. I see some OTC jack of all trades stuff will eventually go away into history....but then again: who knows? There's some hardcore old folks who claimed that such OTC products still has place in modern automobile technology, including curing ticks....or whatever you like to call it.

Oh well, rant enough already...back to lurk mode.

Q.

Quote:
Anyway the one with the pan drop had what seemed to be MoS2 on the bottom, it wasn't sludge.
It was a slippery black substance with a dark grey/green tint to it.

Does MoS2 drop out of suspension when left sitting over an extended period?
Once the engine was back in service why didn't the stuff go back into suspension?

What oil are you using?

If the MoS2 was powder in a colloidal suspension then yes it could fall out of the oil.

If the moly was in the form of MoDTC then no.

In modern oils the dispersant usually keeps all soluble components suspended and mixed well.

I still use LC20 in my RX8 to keep the EMOP lines unclogged. Rumor is the can clog where exposed to engine heat where the oil is baked.

MMO is the only additive used in my tank to lube upper cylinder area , for the trips that I run the engine 2 - 3 hours non stop, at 80 mph .

No additives in my oil, 5K oil changes to keep everything Fresh
19.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back