Oil filter wrench for 2013 Rav4 2.5L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Daughter just purchased a 2013 Rav4 2.5L. I've never serviced a vehicle with a cartridge oil filter. I have identified 3 different filter wrench suggestions with varying feedback on fitment. Hoping the Toyota guy/gals on here can set me straight as to which wrench is best aside from purchasing the overpriced oem wrench from the dealer.
Assenmacher
Specialty filter wrench
Wrench #3

Originally Posted By: Doog
Assenmacher all the way.

Agreed. You can pick one up on Amazon. The only thing I don't like about it is that you need a wrench (not the same ratchet you used on the drain plug, and not the same size wrench either).

My father bought one at the toy dealer that seems to be the exact same as mine.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Assenmacher all the way.

Agreed. You can pick one up on Amazon. The only thing I don't like about it is that you need a wrench (not the same ratchet you used on the drain plug, and not the same size wrench either).

My father bought one at the toy dealer that seems to be the exact same as mine.

Yeah all of my Toyota drain plugs are 14mm. It would be nice if the assenmacher tool was a 14mm but no big deal.

Bought mine at the Toyota dealer - it wasn't that much, $10 or $15, just a PITA. I had 5 oil filter wrenches over here and nothing would budge it but the factory wrench. Oh, what a feeling.

I have been using the Assenmacher for several years. One thing you'll want to do, if it is anything like my Corolla, is to warm up the engine (5-10 min drive is enough). I've found that if the engine is cold the wrench may slip off. Once it's heated up it'll be a tighter fit on the housing and it'll turn without a problem.

I went with one like #3 after having trouble with the Assenmacher style for a Vibe/Matrix. The first type was difficult to get enough leverage on in my situation, and the cap would get stuck in the wrench. #3 removes the cap with ease. There should be a thread about it somewhere in the tool forum.

Assenmacher all the way.

No, get the one from Snap-On's Bluepoint. The Bluepoint one will bite into the tabs, which helps with removing the really tight ones. The Assenmacher one will probably slip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back