Best oil filter for Honda B series

Status
Not open for further replies.
After researching, I found that the Purolator 24458 is an oversized filter for my Honda. I had a hard time deciding between the Pure One $5.49 or the Premium Plus $2.99 but decided to go with the Premium Plus because of price. Anyway, the filter I had on the car was a L14610 which is of a smaller diameter (2.69 vs 3.15) and about 3.5 tall (1/2" taller than stock L14459) with a bypass rating of 14-18PSI where the L14459/L24458 are both 12-15PSI. The 24458 is about 3.98" long/3.15 OD...do you think I should use this one or the smaller diameter L14610 with higher PSI bypass valve?

quote:

Originally posted by Reelizmpro:
After researching, I found that the Purolator 24458 is an oversized filter for my Honda. I had a hard time deciding between the Pure One $5.49 or the Premium Plus $2.99 but decided to go with the Premium Plus because of price. Anyway, the filter I had on the car was a L14610 which is of a smaller diameter (2.69 vs 3.15) and about 3.5 tall (1/2" taller than stock L14459) with a bypass rating of 14-18PSI where the L14459/L24458 are both 12-15PSI. The 24458 is about 3.98" long/3.15 OD...do you think I should use this one or the smaller diameter L14610 with higher PSI bypass valve?

I use the L14610 in my 2001 Honda Civic right now. I will try using the oversized L24458 filter on my next oil change. Heres a pic of the oil filter connection point for the civic:

-

If the L24458 sits firmly and doesnt leak you shouldnt worry to much about the smaller bypass PSI.

I think the L14610 is actually designed for your car, right? I have a 88 CRX with a B16A in it which takes a 3.15OD filter like the 24458 so I'm not too worried about leakage (I checked anyway).

Prior to the newer civics coming out with the smaller filters, L14459 was the standard sized filter for all honda engines, with the exception, I believe, to the NSX, and i think the honda passport too.

24458 is commonly referred to as the oversized filter for the hondas, the only thing different about it and the 14459 is the 24458 is longer, and has more media inside obviously. Since the 24458 is longer, it may be a very tight fit in some engines series. It has worked fine on a B18, a F22 (accord) and D-series that i've used it on. Note, however, that the 24458 cannot fit on some of the newer honda engines out there.

Perhaps this should be in a thread of its own, but according to Tatsuru Ichishima, President of Spoon Sports Japan (basically the man in Japan who knows about everything and anything Honda/Racing specific), the reason Honda went with the smaller oil filter design was to combat oil pressure fluctuations. While he may be speaking more from a racing perspective, the statement makes be believe even more that there is very little to no benefit in going with a larger sized filter. Unfortunately I do not know the technical specifics behind the manufacturers preference to the smaller filter size but I find it hard to believe that a major OEM manufacturer with a very good reputation for build quality and design would risk compromising their products when they recommend relatively long OCI's while reducing filter size. I think it would be best to stick with the OEM size for your vehicle, but as many here will agree that going with a larger filter that meets original specs (gasket diameter, bypass psi, etc..) will/should not cause negative effects for standard street use. Well at least in the short term anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back