Proposed (draft ) epa rules on the use of funnels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw in the Federal Register a proposal for comment on contracting (letting of contracts) to prepare rulemaking for containment of emissions from funnels. The justification cited is reduction of volatile airborne emissions, and concern on use of funnels by "homeowners" and other untrained persons outside the petrochemical industry. some type of self closing funnel was described, similar to the gas can fuel control system now in use. implementation date was listed as 2016 in california coastal area and NE USA

Originally Posted By: oldhp
Our "we have nothing better to do" government at work. What's next...school on how to properly open oil bottles???

I'm surprised they have not mandated drain back bottles for oil that are similar to laundry detergent bottles.

Common sense would dictate that they regulate the largest polluters first...but I guess big oil contributes sooo much more to campaigns.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
So now we will have gas cans that dont pour and funnels that dont funnel. Thats just swell

+1

If a funnel closed how long would the VOCs sit around? A year? They'd eventually get past the flap.

If I use a funnel to fill my lawnmower (and NOT SPLASH GAS) the residue on it is going to evaporate one way or another. A flap won't help that.

Besides, many other industries use funnels like kitchens. I could cut the top off a soda bottle and have a funnel.

i've spilled more gas with the stupid gas cans we have now than if we just had ones that poured nice.

Not to mention i've broken 2-3 cans now

Time to go buy some metal jerry cans

but I'm not worried about funnels I'll just buy food service equipment etc. No way they can regulate it.

Last edited:
Quote:

i've spilled more gas with the stupid gas cans we have now than if we just had ones that poured nice.

+1. I need 5 hands to dispense 9oz of gas into my saw.

I just use a funnel.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Common sense would dictate that they regulate the largest polluters first...but I guess big oil contributes sooo much more to campaigns.

Yep, BP spilled 500 million gallons of oil in the Gulf and they're good to go.

OMG!
Too many minds without enough to actually think about and too afraid to challenge the real bulk polluters.

I thought the whole point of the no-spill gas cans was to eliminate the need for a funnel. It's a "no spill" can. It's not a "no spill only if you use a funnel" can.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
If they outlaw soda bottles and box cutters, only criminals will have cheap funnels.

LOL they will go after the soda bottles next.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

+1. I need 5 hands to dispense 9oz of gas into my saw.

+2. Never spilled a drop with the old ones. These new ones make a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back