I see air filter tests and info...None for oil filters??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just what the title says, either I haven't found them yet or don't know where to look. I'd love to see some comprehensive testing done on the major oil filters out there. I've got some basic knowledge as to which are better than others, but no hard evidence. If none is here, does anybody have a link to someplace that does??

Thanks
Ryan

Some folks here are of the opinion that you can't go wrong with ANY oil filter as long as it is not painted orange.

It would be a fun experiment to take a new vehicle, such as an Ecotech 2.2L powered car, and run it without an oil filter for 100K with regular 5K oil changes, to see what kind of wear, if any occured.

I ran my wifes new Malibu (2.2L Ecotech) to 4K on the factory fill, and saw nothing in the oil filter cartridge.

quote:

t would be a fun experiment to take a new vehicle, such as an Ecotech 2.2L powered car, and run it without an oil filter for 100K with regular 5K oil changes, to see what kind of wear, if any occured.

Plenty occurs. Will it lunch the engine
dunno.gif

Look at this graph:
 -

Now this guy "digested" the oil sample before running it through whatever machine that they measured the particle levels in the oil which resulted in WAY high wear metals. These metals would normally be filtered by the lab so that you would see only the resultant wear particles and not the big chunks causing the particle level wear metals

That is (if you referrence the chart), the test sample was void of (probably) anything below 20-25 micron particles (except in the MotorGuard which filtered down to 1 or 2 microns). If, on the otherhand, there had been NO FILTER, there would be all the "even MORE wear causing"25- who knows what size "wear causing particles" continually circulating around knocking off more particle level wear indicators.

Here's the entire study.

quote:

Originally posted by Pick:

It would be a fun experiment to take a new vehicle, such as an Ecotech 2.2L powered car, and run it without an oil filter for 100K with regular 5K oil changes, to see what kind of wear, if any occured.

I ran my wifes new Malibu (2.2L Ecotech) to 4K on the factory fill, and saw nothing in the oil filter cartridge.

Serious wear is caused by particles less than 0.001 inch in diameter. Those are hard to see with the nekkid eye when they are in an oily filter element.

Thousands of hours of test work has been done to determine whether or not full flow filters are worth it or not. The conclusion was yes.

Then there is the occasional bit of metal in the oil that is visible to the nekkid eye, usually bigger than 0.005 inch. What do you think that would do to your lower end bearings when they are running at way under 0.001 inch clearance on the loaded side.

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
Now this guy "digested" the oil sample before running it through whatever machine that they measured the particle levels in the oil which resulted in WAY high wear metals. These metals would normally be filtered by the lab so that you would see only the resultant wear particles and not the big chunks causing the particle level wear metals

This is also why I think you'll see a few people raise an eyebrow when a laymen interprets a scattering of UOAs and then presents his conclusions as scientific fact.

Wow, Yeah, I completely did not see the forum for this (late night), thanks for moving it!

And thanks for the links, helps a lot. Though I didn't see Bosch anywhere. I've been using them for some time now and can never seem to find much on them. Seem to be of good constructon upon visual inspection...and I suspect they are a re-badged filter, but I don't know from whom....Any help there?

Also if anybody has a site with a great explanation of leaf vs coil springs as well as nitrile vs silicone valves, that would be MUCH appreciated.

Laters
Ryan

Ryan: Here's three additional surveys:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=001583#000000
http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/filters.shtml
http://www.overboost.com/story.asp?id=1143

Ignore the fact that these involve Honda and Mercruiser/Chevy filters -- the basics apply to all applications.

Personally I'd stay away from Bosch filters, only because they had the least amount of media of the 54 cumulative filters surveyed in the studies mentioned on this board (81 sq in for a Honda application, the least of all 54 filters). Not much bang for Bosch's overpriced buck. Bosch North America filters are manufactured by Champion, who also makes Mobil 1, STP, and some ACs. The leaf springs you're referring to only hold the cartridge in place -- they're of no significance. In my opinion, coil bypass springs (and Wix's "flying saucer" bypass) are superior to the Champion style clicker valve. Silicone antidrainback is superior to nitrile, although not necessary in many appliations. More info on these topics can be found through a search of this board.

My bottom line is that there is little difference between the several brands of oil and air filters (even the orange ones).

I looked at all the data I could find and selected the Purolator Pure One as my oil filter of choice. Excellent filtration and meets the flow requirements of my vehicles (although not the best flow).

I can't find any significant difference in air filters and just use a Fram in both my vehicles.

quote:

My bottom line is that there is little difference between the several brands of oil and air filters (even the orange ones).

I agree with that statement for the most part, but the oil filter study did find three filters that stood out from the pack: Pure One, Tough Guard, and AC UFP. I don't think you could go wrong with any of these. At the other end of the spectrum, it found some that were so open that I wouldn't put them on my car even if they were free.

Of the Ford type, filters tested in the Oil Filter Study linked above. Fram TG was the only one to have a screened bypass valve. All others could flush the surface particles to the engine when in bypass. Yes I know the screen is comparatively large and may not stop most contaminates but it would stop the large ones. I would have no problem using the Fram TG, I thought it was an excellent filter even with the paper caps. No, I don't work for Fram; it's just my opinion.

quote:

At the other end of the spectrum, it found some that were so open that I wouldn't put them on my car even if they were free.

They be the ones that are used in the vast majority of OTR and Off road heavy duty diesels, that typically last up to a million km's ?

I believe Bob actually ran an engine without a filter, and the UOA wear metals were normal.

Check TallPauls UOA here using a Fleetguard filter. The wear metal levels are amazingly low.
There seems to be enough evidence that oil quality is more important than full flow filtration levels.
If you want real filtration, you need to go to a bypass system.

Rick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back