2011 Traverse 3.6L DI, 7k miles, ASL 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Taken from our 2011 Traverse with the 3.6L DI engine. All oil changes past the first has been Amsoil ASL 5w30, run out to 5% or less on the OLM (this particular sample was at 5%).

This run was during the winter, from November 1 to now. This included several times of -20F when starting the vehicle (polar vortex time), and quite a few below-0 starts/operating conditions. Also had some idling, etc.

As far as the water goes, it was snowy when I changed the oil, and I did end up spilling the sample once (got more as it still drained), so its very possible some water or snow got into the sample.

Thoughts?

uoa_214.png

Yep, typical DI engine with that fuel lowering the Flashpoint down.

Sheared a little as well.

Careful if you're thinking about extending out further.

Originally Posted By: Turk
Yep, typical DI engine with that fuel lowering the Flashpoint down.

Sheared a little as well.

Careful if you're thinking about extending out further.

+1

Yeah, I wouldn't go longer. The engines are a bit different, but I was told by the dealer to keep my OCI to 3k on the Equinox 2.4L DI. This was as it was in the shop for what would have been a $2k engine repair if not under powertrain warranty. They said they've had few problems with people changing at 3k miles, but a lot with people going longer (I was going 6k or so - still with a lot left on OLM).

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
Yeah, I wouldn't go longer. The engines are a bit different, but I was told by the dealer to keep my OCI to 3k on the Equinox 2.4L DI. This was as it was in the shop for what would have been a $2k engine repair if not under powertrain warranty. They said they've had few problems with people changing at 3k miles, but a lot with people going longer (I was going 6k or so - still with a lot left on OLM).

Got to love GM
crazy.gif

Agreed, I have no intention of going longer. However, is there any reason to run *shorter*?

The models from previous years with the DI actually had an "optimistic" OLM, which caused the oil to thicken (I think) or shear (possibly), or simply run low, and this caused cam chain tensioner problems, leading to the expensive rebuilds mentioned earlier. The OLM on the 2011 is "updated", so 5% should be fine.

Originally Posted By: gregk24

Got to love GM
crazy.gif

LOL

K. So is the ASL line the signature series line,or on par with it?
If so this is a dismal report for Amsoil.
Yes all the numbers look good except the viscosity loss,not that its a big deal. But for an oil advertised to run 25000 miles and a used oil analysis shows its toast before 10000 miles isn't justifying the cost to me.
If I'm mistaken and ASL is NOT the signature series then I'd like to retract the above paragraph and simply write nice report.
Thank you for posting. .

It makes me wonder about DI and the OLM, it may not be the best combo.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: Clevy

ASL is the Signature Series - sorry, I should have been clearer!

Originally Posted By: ABerns
Originally Posted By: Clevy

ASL is the Signature Series - sorry, I should have been clearer!

How much is the signature series?
Wondering if you can get similar results running say-- Penn Platinum to 7,000 miles... at a lower price (WalMart- 5 qt jug and using mail in rebates/coupons).

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

27.gif

That was my thought also. Amsoil may very well be changing their 25k/15k recommendation on the SS with respect to DI engines.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

27.gif

The OLM has an update available. They did the update when it was in for the repair. Under the old OLM software it would probably have gone to 10 or 12 thousand miles before hitting 0%. Now it would probably go 6-7 depending on driving. I'm still going to change at 3 thousand from now on. On these engines it is the fuel dilution that causes the oil to shear that is the problem. I think starting in 2012 model year the OLM has the update from the factory.

I think starting in 2012 model year the OLM has the update from the factory.

I believe even the 2011s have an updated OLM - ours has never gone to 8k miles.

One thing I forgot to mention about this UOA was that I ran a bottle of Techron through a few hundred miles before the oil change. I was happy to see that it didn't cause many issues with the UOA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back