PHILIPS 9011/HIR1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Dupree
its crazy pablo, the last set I put in was in a legacy ll bean, so the bulb body is flat out to thick in circumference ?

Originally Posted By: Pablo
The fit of the Philips TOSHIBA HIR1 in my WRX just doesn't seem to be happening with just hand tools.

I'm almost there.

This is driving me nuts.

I did a huge typo in my post before this one. I meant to type "Toshiba". Or really the AC Delco boxed Toshiba marked HIR1 65W bulbs.

Anyway it's a combination of shape(s) that cause it not to fit. The diameter at the base (fixed), the thickness of the base plate and position and thickness of the tabs in relation to the datum formed by the inside surface of the base plate. The tabs all line up and now it almost inserts all the way and I can begin to twist it into position. The Philips 9011 in there now is very tight, so it says maybe Subie made these headlight housing on the very tight side.

its crazy pablo, the last set I put in was in a legacy ll bean, so the bulb body is flat out to thick in circumference ?

The fit of the Philips TOSHIBA HIR1 in my WRX just doesn't seem to be happening with just hand tools.

I'm almost there.

This is driving me nuts.

I did a huge typo in my post before this one. I meant to type "Toshiba". Or really the AC Delco boxed Toshiba marked HIR1 65W bulbs.

Anyway it's a combination of shape(s) that cause it not to fit. The diameter at the base (fixed), the thickness of the base plate and position and thickness of the tabs in relation to the datum formed by the inside surface of the base plate. The tabs all line up and now it almost inserts all the way and I can begin to twist it into position. The Philips 9011 in there now is very tight, so it says maybe Subie made these headlight housing on the very tight side.

stupid question I might have missed the answer but… You trimmed the mounting tabs correct? To make them fit? Sorry you're having problems, work smarter, not harder you'll get it to work. From experience I've come to find Chrylser vehicles are easy to change bulbs on. we had a 97 Stratus and a 2010 Dodge Journey and a 98 intrepid and all were really easy.

Originally Posted By: B25urgandy

I'm almost there.

This is driving me nuts.

stupid question I might have missed the answer but… You trimmed the mounting tabs correct? To make them fit? Sorry you're having problems, work smarter, not harder you'll get it to work. From experience I've come to find Chrylser vehicles are easy to change bulbs on. we had a 97 Stratus and a 2010 Dodge Journey and a 98 intrepid and all were really easy.

Quote:

Now here is the downside. They don't fit my WRX, and it has nothing to do with the tab modification. The main problem so far is the OD of the plastic base right where it inserts in the receptacle. I am making progress, but it's a huge PITA. Anyone fight this battle before?

Hahhahahaha work smarter not harder!! Work isn't too hard, and most of the smarts were used to figure out the dimensional differences (see above). If I have time tonight - they should now fit or be extremely close. I'm being very cautious because I don't want to remove too much material.

Holy Moley. I would say, maybe 20% brighter than the Philips. Nice and worth the hassle.

Based on what? Did you measure the output like candlepower.com did?

Originally Posted By: simple_simon
Holy Moley. I would say, maybe 20% brighter than the Philips. Nice and worth the hassle.

Based on what? Did you measure the output like candlepower.com did?

No, no measurement data just a typical BITOG response.
lol.gif

Based on the lighted area and brightness in a pitch black area behind my garage. Light is slightly more yellow, but for sure no doubt about it brighter. 20% seems conservative.

SIDE NOTE: The removed Philips 9011 had zero yellow staining internally.

they were generic marked but there is no doubt it is a toshiba HIR they have the special coating you can see in the right light and the funky globe, i think ill buy more before there gone since i run them in my cx9 as well

So how do they look? I asked on Amazon and a guy said they have Toshiba brand on his. I bought two pairs. I assume they fit fine with the standard modification.

BTW Philips NEVER answered my email.

Were you writing to Phillips USA or Phillips DE?

Phillips USA

The Philips HIR bulbs are German, you might want to try contacting Philips DE.

Now here's the bad news. Subaru had this not so great idea to use the high beams throttled back as the DRL's. Really stupid, IMHO, with a ginormous resistor to drop the voltage. The bulbs I took out already had some nice yellow stains inside. I'm afraid the bulb life will be squadouche with the stock bulbs which are Sylvania Halogen 9005 60W.

I have had the Toshiba HIR bulbs on my Toyota for 8 1/2 years, and it also uses the high beams for the DRLs. I hope that the Philips HIR bulbs turn out to be as high quality as the Toshibas have been, if so, you have nothing to worry about.

Still running the AC Delco boxed Toshiba marked HIR1 65W bulbs highs. Work great.

I rewired the DRL to power my fog sockets and run HIR2(9012) in those. The system works great as well. Switchable as fogs with low HID beams on, on when driving without low beams. I found some really nice yellow overlays that actually do work - protect the lens, make nice fog light and look nice.

Read through all the comments on Amazon and you'll notice that the Amazon lights do NOT come from one seller. Pay attention to the multiple comments mentioning "these are not any brighter than the 9005 lamps I replaced" or "ordered two and each bulb had a different color base" to "the lamps fit right in without trimming" (NOT an HIR lamp, but a illegally marked 9005 or 9006). My personal favorite : "these lamps had to have been a return because the tabs were already trimmed" The customer can trim the lamps, but selling already trimmed lamps is a Federal Offense with a mandatory jail sentence for each lamp altered.

Not all of the 3rd Party Amazon Sellers are selling illegitimate bulbs, but a large portion of them are, especially when the costs are near genuine warehouse distributor landed costs.

Candlepower Lamps are genuine Philips product and are the same stock and production lamps that are sold to General Motors, John Deere, and FORD. Buying the genuine product which is backed by a customer centered company that has been in business of selling only lighting for the transportation industry for 48 years ensures complete personal service, complete satisfaction before and after the purchase as well as peace of mind in knowing that you are supporting an American Company selling reliable products.

My Best Regards to you and yours,

Kenny Franklin
Candlepower Inc.
Retail Sales Manager

Originally Posted By: simple_simon
they were generic marked but there is no doubt it is a toshiba HIR they have the special coating you can see in the right light and the funky globe, i think ill buy more before there gone since i run them in my cx9 as well

"Our testing has the HIR1(was 9011) running 10.8% brighter than the Toshiba with a differently designed and upgraded filament gas mixture which also maintains the lumen maintenance throughout 70% of its life hours."

"This brand-new Philips bulb incorporates a burner based on the latest version of high-tech H7 architecture. It has a high-precision filament coil, 5-axis focused and positioned within the burner by filament supports configured to leave a metal-free zone around the filament. The thermal image comparison you see on this page shows how the new design gives vastly improved control over unwanted reflections of the filament from the bulb wall and filament supports. This greatly improves beam focus and reduces shadows and glare light within the beam. The tubular bulb gives excellent control of stray light, and it's made of low-distortion quartz with a new infrared-reflective coating with maximized optical clarity. The fill gas has been newly formulated to give the HIR2/9012 bulb's characteristic extremely high light output with very long life.

This new Philips bulb has the highest luminance of any HIR2 (9012) ever made: 30 Mcd/m2. That's 25% better than the previous best-in-class Toshiba bulb. The improvement can be clearly seen in the thermal image comparison, and it gives the driver a significant increase in beam punch, boosting the ability to see what must be seen at night and in bad weather in time to avoid a collision. Light quality is bright white, with an excellent color temperature of 3450K.

Rated lifespan is 1400 hours (Tc). That's 40% longer than previous designs, making this not only the brightest and best but also the most cost-effective HIR2 (9012) bulb ever made."

Sounds like you got hosed buying the old Toshibas.

You say that Candlepower Prices are awful, however you cut and paste from our older webpage.

Sorry had to call you on that.

Regards,

Kenny Franklin
Candlepower Inc.

Pablo.

To answer your question. The Toshiba 9011 lamp has not been produced by Toshiba for around nine years and any stock available is old stock and even left over counterfeit lamps (most likely).

The Philips HIR1(was 9011) - its proper name - is much brighter and does not suffer from the spherical errors that the Toshiba lamp had. The Toshiba bulb was made that way to light up further down the road but limited spread left and right because the light emitted through many many angles of the bulb and did not concentrate in the lens reflector. Think of it as a house lamp that shines light in 360 degrees of non-concentrated light. The lens reflectors want the light focused on the back and sides so it can be "thrown" forward through the front of the lamp, and the Toshiba's design 'threw' too much light forward.

The Philips ** "Third Generation" lamp rids the lamp of 'spherical errors' and a decade of technological advances lead to a much brighter and much longer lasting lamp. It also does not need the HIR coating that was used originally to maintain a higher Lumen output throughout the life hours of the bulb.

Life hours is the point in which 80% of the original lit bulbs are still lit but perform at 60% (+/-10%) of its original efficiency and luminosity. The Infrared coating of kept this efficiency up to 75% (+/- 10%) However, this was late Seventies / Early Eighties technology and has been made obsolete with newer manufacturing / metal and gas technology and the coating is not needed to pass the DOT and Euro Reg 37 specifications as originally specified. I think though that Philips is still developing this lamp and may bring back the coating to make a +30% version or what the old timers call Bright Light Boosted or BLB. I only say this because we had a shipment that we noticed what may have been the infrared coating. It was sad because we noticed it on the last bulb being shipped out and did not get to test it.

Either way, the biggest bonus for those that have to remove the front end of the car and rear axles to replace the lamp..... the lamp life hours are significantly longer and the 9012 lamp is the perfect upgrade to 9006 based fog lamps due to extremely long life.

Hi Beam stock: 9005, 12.8V, 65W, 1700 lumens, 320 hours / Hi Beam ... HIR1(9011), 12.8V, 65W, 2530 lumens, 400 hours

Lo Beam stock: 9006, 12.8V, 55W, 1006 lumens, 360 hours / Lo Beam ... HIR2(9012), 12.8V, 55W, 1875 lumens, 1000 hours

Life and output always vary with voltage input, wiring size, and lens reflector condition

** Third Generation. The original late Seventies GE design was actually a forerunner to the shape and make of today's HID lamps. This was the 'First Generation.' The 'Second Generation' lamp was the Toshiba lamp, and, well.. Philips is the the 'Third Generation." The "generations" thing, although each was an improvement over the other is more marketing hype than anything else.

Happy New Year and Best Regards,

Kenny Franklin
Candlepower Inc.

What are your thoughts on the Vosla HIR2 +30 bulbs on the market, are they really brighter than then Philips HIR2 LL?

Yes. All lamps with a +30 is referred to as a Bright Light Boosted (BLB) lamp and will be 30% brighter than a seasoned (used) OEM lamp. Philips bought Narva several years ago and Vosla consists of the Narva employees who did not move to Poland. They make a large share of Philips and Narva forward lighting products as well as the old Narva Specialty lamps (Microscope and Miniature Halogen lamps).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back