Need help deciding what crossover SUV to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.
So now that I'm on my own and paid of student loans I am saving up for a car before my transmission dies. I want to get a crossover SUV that is low mileage or possibly even new.

I have been looking at Honda Elements and I like them because they have more and easier to use cargo space than just about any other car it's size. I can also easily sleep in it when I go travelling. I could get a low mileage 2010 or 2011 Element for around 20ish

But the Elements don't get that great of mileage, only about 20/25 but they are very reliable and I don't have to worry about getting them dirty so much.

However I could also get a new 2014 Forester for only about 5 grand more (or similar CSUV) and be getting more refinement better gas mileage (24/32) and less mileage on the odometer since it's new meaning I can drive it longer before I have to replace stuff.

However I'm not sure if gas mileage will affect me much, I live in Fargo and I generally only make short trips and it's usually cold. I think this affects gas mileage. My Five-Hundred only gets 13MPG even though it can get 30 on the highway. So maybe I'm doomed to get poor mileage anyway and wouldn't see much of a difference.

So can somebody give me some recommendations, what do you think are the most reliable and cheapest to own CSUVs for my situation? And is it really more economical to buy used? It seems like buying new is as good or maybe even more economical than buying used.

What cars would you guys recommend I look at?

Forester
CRV
Rav4
Element

Last edited:
I just bought a low mileage 2009 Forester base model with 40k miles for $13.2k....for the $$$, hard to beat.

I have had CRV and currently have a Rav4. Both are pretty good. But when I look for a used car I pick a "group" of acceptable vehicles and then look for one that is in excellent condition for the lowest price. But I will be willing to pay a bit more for one that is in mint condition. But you can't beat the Honda or Toyota CPO program. That's what I would do.

Last edited:
Obviously I'm a little biased, owning an Element.

In my opinion, the Element is a very different vehicle than the rest, the utility is unmatched. If you want to camp and sleep in it, or carry a lot of stuff, you can't beat it. I think my point is, if you have the need for a flexible, utilitarian CUV, the Element is unmatched. The others will have better mileage, ability to seat 5, more car-like ride and handling though.

Of the cars listed, I doubt you'd have any reliability issues. The CRV and the Element have similar K24s, and K24s in general are very reliable and easy on oil.

I have read that because of our depressed economy used cars sell better than new and so there is a premium on them.

Still you have more money tied up in a new car. The cost per mile evens out some as you keep a new car longer and longer *(eventually it would have to be considered a used car as well).

Part of the equation is the money. Will you have to borrow money to buy a new car? What will the interest rate be?

When you buy used you have to look around for what you want but you still end up buying what is available, not always exactly what you want or need. To some degree this can be true with new cars but you can even order a car if you want to get exactly a certain model.

I would recommend looking at Consumer Reports and other sources for reliability and read the reviews on web sites like edmunds, auto, aol, etc.

You are right that if you mostly drive short trips the mileage will not be too good and the occasional long trip won't cost that much more (where is Fargo KS?)

I wonder if gas will continue to rise in price or will this new natural gas boom keep prices in check.

My sister and brother in law have over 850,000 miles collectively, on four Subarus.

The newest and lowest mileage one has nearly 100,000 miles on it already.

Try and find a leftover 2013 Forester for your best deal.

like others have said see what offers the dealers have for you. when I bought my 2014 CRV Honda had a .9% financing deal that could help to buy new. Honda also had a $500 cash back if you financed $5,000, with no penalty to pay it off early. the used market in my area was tough to find a low mileage CRV at a good price. my advice is shop around and see what kind of prices the dealers are asking for on used cars and what the inventory is like. when you narrow it down you can have to dealers compete for your business. you would be surprised how competitive they are and will really come down on price! Honda , Toyota and Scoobies are all nice rides and each has it's own advantage and disadvantage. driving them can help you decide.

Originally Posted By: datech
I have read that because of our depressed economy used cars sell better than new and so there is a premium on them.

Still you have more money tied up in a new car. The cost per mile evens out some as you keep a new car longer and longer *(eventually it would have to be considered a used car as well).

Part of the equation is the money. Will you have to borrow money to buy a new car? What will the interest rate be?

When you buy used you have to look around for what you want but you still end up buying what is available, not always exactly what you want or need. To some degree this can be true with new cars but you can even order a car if you want to get exactly a certain model.

I would recommend looking at Consumer Reports and other sources for reliability and read the reviews on web sites like edmunds, auto, aol, etc.

You are right that if you mostly drive short trips the mileage will not be too good and the occasional long trip won't cost that much more (where is Fargo KS?)

I wonder if gas will continue to rise in price or will this new natural gas boom keep prices in check.

All well said. One thing I'd consider is that soon the op will be moving on in their life and may want a larger car. I thjnk a new highlander is coming our so the old ones will lose value faster. I'd look into the highlander hybrid if the finances allow. The extra space may be welcome in a few years.

We weren't impressed with the latest cr-v iteration, but the one right before was good. Everyone who has a forester seems to love them.

$20Kish for an obsolete Element that's 4 years old!? No way! Used CRVs/RAV4s are also way too expensive. I'd buy a new Forester.

CRV holds its value incredibly well. If buying new peek at that if your needs/desires change(they do in your twenties).

I am leaning towards the Forester....mainly because I am looking at one now.

But you are already familiar with the Ford Duratec30 in your Five Hundred. Why not an Escape/Tribute? Usually cheaper than a Honda or Toyota.

If you don't need AWD, Kia Seouls are remarkably well liked by their owners. I seldom hear anything bad about them.

A friend just got a really good deal on a low mileage Pontiac Torrent.....but you will have to get one that is 2009 or older. Same would probably be true for the Saturn Vue, another orphan brand.

If you do it right, buying used is always a better deal. Let someone else take the hit on off-the-lot depreciation, and while we're focussing on the positives, let them also deal with any first year warranty issues/recalls/revisions etc.

I'd personally go with the Subie, better drivetrain/capability and there is no "brand perception markup/licensing fee" that you need to pay, either
wink.gif

If you choose a 2011 or newer Forester, be aware that some owners (not all) are having serious oil consumption issues. There is a 200 page ongoing thread at the Forester Forum: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/...2/index197.html

It seems that SOA is addressing the problem and assisting owners. Last summer (2013) a TSB was issued addressing the problem. Some owners are reporting that SOA is replacing short blocks in some instances or installing new (different) piston rings in other cases.

I like Subies and it's not my intent to bash them. Many manufacturers are having new model problems. One should be aware of these issues though, if you are considering one, and proceed accordingly with knowledge in hand.

When I shopped for CUV's last year, I got the impression that the CRV might be the most reliable. But, in my area they would not deal good prices on new ones and used ones seemed to be over priced.

If you're getting into a regular 3-5 year buying cycle the new Forester is getting great reviews. If you're planning on keeping the car any longer than that I'd def. get the CR-V. Reasons why are the K24 is bulletbroof but mainly the long-term durability of the CVT in the Forester would worry me.

We like our Forester and it is certainly the most capable car in this group off road or on under conditions that really require AWD.
It would be my pick and it does offer a slightly off the beaten track appeal you don't get with any modern Honda or Toyota.
And yeah, I know that Toyota owns a minority stake in Subaru, just as GM once did.
Did you know that there was a brief interval when you could actually buy a WRX wagon badged as a Saab?
At least you got a performance car, unlike the Trailblazer, which was also briefly available badged as a Saab.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
I'd buy a Subaru is I was buying one for my family. Definitely boosted.

There is always that option with the Forester and it's not a terribly expensive one.

I'm a huge fan of the new Ford Escape AWD, 2.0 ecoboost w/leather. It's the best driving SUV I've ever driven, and I rent them regularly. In fact, I love the Escape.

Here's why: The engine (and transmission) is an absolute dream to drive. It's very responsive, very powerful, and it gets good MPG's. It also downshifts/upshifts at the proper time, like God intended. Ford did an amazing job getting the direct injection, turbo engine to work with the transmission. Passing others is a cinch, anywhere, anytime.

The AWD system is also controlled perfectly. So the Escape does not feel or drive like a FWD vehicle with too much power. It drives like a proper performance AWD vehicle. Neutral handling, with traction for all conditions. I did a good bit of off roading in CA. It never let me down, including going up a very steep gravel/sand mountain. And it reverts to 2wd to save fuel when conditions are normal.

The turbo produces proper HP at all altitudes, with zero lag or turbo feel. You can't tell it's a turbo, other than the strong acceleration.

The seats have that magic soy foam, which holds up very well and conforms nearly instantly. It's quite a nice feel. Unlike other brands. They really are good seats.

The steering is quick, responsive and near "sports car" like, making the vehicle one of my favorites to live with. The suspension has quite a bit of well-damped travel, meaning that off road or rough road situations are absorbed with ease and no drama or harshness.

I'm a car enthusiast with a bias towards performance vehicles. The little Escape AWD 2.0 Ecoboost is really a superb combination of features. I would not have believed it by simply looking at the thing. Ford got it extremely right.

Oh, and very good audio system too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back