stainless frame in berrymans dip tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have my Kimber Pro carry stainless frame completely stripped. looking for a gGood way to completely clean it, has some decent powder residue and grime inside the Mag well and trigger Area. I might buy an ultrasonic cleaning thing from Harbor Freight for 40 bucks but if I can do the same job in either the dishwasher or dumping it in a gallon of berrymans I'd rather do that. the only thing I'm not sure is if there's a coating on the stainless frame if its anodized or something.

Berrymans won't hurt it but you are just as well served by hosing it down with CLP or bore solvent and letting it soak for a few hours. Scrub it out then use some compressed air to blow it out.

I don't think B12 Chemtool would hurt it as those are mostly organic solvents. Stainless steel is not anodized - that's a finish for aluminum. I don't believe Kimber coats their stainless frames - a phone call would confirm that, or even just looking at high-wear areas such as the frame rails, or the spots where your holster contacts the frame and slide. Peeling/flaking should be evident.

But why? Soak it in mineral spirits or kerosene, then give it a quick scrub with a GI toothbrush.

If you want to get creative, mix up some Ed's Red and soak it in there for a few hours: equal parts odorless mineral spirits, K1 kerosene, acetone, and ATF. It's an excellent bore cleaner.

the thought was to clean it with using the least amount of manual labor. i ended up dipping most of the stainless parts in the berrymans after testing one piece first. worked fine, then rinsed off in the sink and scrubbed down with a bristle brush and dish soap. i had a lot of that red dye gunk from wolf ammo inside the frame that i couldn't easily reach and what i could didn't come off easily with gun cleaner spray.

You won't hurt it as you found, but I just wanted to add that a dish washer works well too. Especially after a soak like you did.

Don't do it! It is totally not necessary and won't even work that well. Just wet a stiff bristled nylon brush with your favorite gun cleaner and scrub it away.

If you really want to try an unconventional method, hose the entire gun down with simple green, scrub with a toothbrush and then thoroughly rinse with fresh water. Dry the parts the best you can manually and then finish drying with a hair drier. Thoroughly re-oil when you are done of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back