Remington OIL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not like rem oil seems to burn off quick. There are so many good choices out there including synthetic motor oil, I would not use rem oil again.

used Rem Oil a few times...left it as an anticorrosion inside the barrel of a Savage 110 for a few months that I used to own; when I dry patched the barrel I had a bunch of blue residue come out...guess the Rem Oil lifted some of the residual copper fouling;

anyhow, being a cheapskate, I'm using a combo of leftover oils mixed together...10w-40/15w-40 mixed with some 80w-90 gear oil to add a bit more 'tack' to it to keep it in place; so far no problematic side effects

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1

Would anyone like to make any suggestions for longer term weapons oil storage without getting into packing greases and sealing bags ? there must be a better lube out there ?

Let me also say that for my weapons that are used monthlyand yearly, Remington oil is just fine, im completely satisfied with it.

Hoppes gun oil got my attention but you sure dont get much with purchase, and i do like a aerosol spray oil.. makes things faster, AND when your cleaning alot of guns, fast is good.

i think for greater than 1 year without touching it you need to store the gun in a closed container that has no air movement in or out and use a dehumidification or dessicant bag to remove humidity.
I've used the rem oil w/teflon in green can yellow label for years and i only use it for mostly exterior metal like the outside of the barrel or slide as it's very clean so i spray it then wipe it almost dry, or for interior parts as a rust preventer to give a light spray coat. i don't use it for actions or rails or anything under a load, for that i use a heavier viscosity oil or grease. but from your description i wonder if the gun sat well lubed and if sitting in an upright position the lube drained down and collected. i've had that problem and found the solution was to either use less lube on the rails or in the action area, or put a paper towel in there to collect anything that drained down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back