How often do you guys go WOT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just out of curiosity, wondering how often you guys give your car a WOT run or two? I did two WOT runs in the Accord tonight getting up to speed, I always feel guilty afterward like I just did my engine and transmission a huge disservice
33.gif
The engine was up to temp though. I do it once or twice every 3 months or so, not like I plan to do it, you just have the urge to punch it every now and then ya know? And when I cant hold off any longer I go for it. How about you?

About once a month after I get the everything up to operating temperature. You are not doing anything a disservice IMO if you are allowing your engine and transmission to warm up before your floor it. It is actually beneficial.

Depends on where I am at. There stop sign where I have to get on a four lane road where the speed limit is 50. I do this every morning, no need for WOT, but any other part of the day, Not going WOT is generally not an option. having said that. The Grand Prix and the Trans Am see it often.
The Equinox is very rare.
The truck will see WOT when towing.

Have any of you treated your vehicles in this way on a regular basis and got 200,000+ miles out of them?

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Have any of you treated your vehicles in this way on a regular basis and got 200,000+ miles out of them?

My 01 Grand Prix went 270,000 before I got rid of it. It had a hard life. Navy buddies hammered it, I raced it and a day without at least 4 to 5 WOTS was unheard of. It was my divorce car.
smile.gif

To add, my old 1989 GMC lived at high RPMs. 3 speed and 4.10's When towing...WOT happened...A LOT! I put 180,000 on that and my buddy is still driving it.

My Bonneville has 200,000 and runs like 50,000 all my vehicles have ran better than when I bought them and I have never had an engine issue at all.And no snake oil lol

Last edited:
I drive a 117hp Fit in DC traffic so it sees wot every day. It's designed to do that. I don't expect it would reduce the expected life at all. If anything I expect driving like a granny all the time is probably worse for it.

At least 20 times a day in my TSX. 110 mile round trip to work, longest stretch of road is 10 miles, so I've got a few stop signs/intersections to accelerate from.
smile.gif
I don't hit redline every time, but shift 5-6k after getting there via WOT. 160k on the Acura with no problems. 185k on the Civic it replaced. No problems there, either.

And you guys take the WOT all the way to redline? Some of you are saying you do it a couple times a week, seems like a lot.

I bought a car with an engine that needs to be revved, I go wide open at least 3-4 times every trip when it's not slippery and regularly rev beyond 7000rpm. I feel no guilt because I am an enthusiast and I like to flog my car. When it breaks I will repair it or buy another one.

That's why I get 18 mpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back