Nitto Crosstek?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone here tried or have experience with these?

The Michelin LTX A/S currently on my truck (factory) are all at 6/32 with 32,xxx miles on them. Not quite time to brain rack about replacements but I have been looking around a bit. The 265/60 R18 size the truck calls for leaves a lot to be desired in the tire market. Though the Michelins have been nice, I always tend to replace with something a bit more aggressive due to the terrain where I work (shell and mud), usually settling for a nice A/T. I have used Yokohama Geolandar A/T as well as the Nitto Terra Grapplar in the past.

I have no complaints with the Yokohamas but they wouldnt be my first choice...the Nittos would. They are not available in my size, and increasing the size isnt possible without a dealer programming to straighten out the shift points so I am staying with the same size. The sizes most available is the Cooper Discoverer A/T3 or ATP, and Yokohama. I ran across the Crossteks at Tire Kingdom (NTP), and like the looks of them for a hybrid A/T street tire, and I have seen them on a truck like my F150 and they look nice. Just trying to put feelers out for them. Otherwise I will probably end up with the Discoverers.

They're loud (tread noise) and rough (generally road force inconsistent) when taking into consideration how smooth a tire they appear to be, and typically don't balance out all that well. If you're used to the A/S ride quality, I'd probably go with something else.

If you're looking for something you can get from NTB/TK, I'd probably recommend one of the following

Michelin LTX M/S2 (6 yr/70,000 mile) - Highway tread, very smooth and quiet, not to mention much better and longer lasting than your current A/S tires. If you don't mind a smoother looking replacement tire, this is the best tire you can put on your truck.

BFG Rugged Terrain (6 yr/50,000 mile) - A/T tread, but very smooth, and one of the quietest A/T tires on the market. Good tread life and excellent wet traction for an A/T.

Yokohama Geolandar AT/S (5 yr/50,000 mile) - You already know about the quality of this tire, as you mentioned. Probably one of the best 'jack of all trades' A/T tires.

Cooper Discoverer A/T3 (55,000 mile) - Being the cheapest of all the tires listed here (at least it should be), it's an excellent value. They're not bad tires, being my least recommended tire, I'd probably recommend the CROSSTEK above this, simply because TK/NTB locations run CROSSTEKs on their specials frequently (B3G1 & B2G2)

You could also look into fitting some 265/65R18s on there in a BFG T/A KO, since they would be best suited for the 'shell and mud' you're describing, but assuming those conditions, the Yokohama would be my first choice.

Now, assuming you could get any tire there is, from anywhere, I'd recommend the TOYO Open Country ATII. In your size, in a P-Metric, the warranty is a HUGE 65,000 miles, and they look JUST like their cousin, (TOYO makes Nitto) the Nitto Terra Grappler. However, since that particular Nitto isn't available in your size, I'd choose the TOYO if you can find a retailer near you that carries them.

If you're wondering what value my opinion holds, I've been selling tires for about 5 years now, and researching them for longer than that.

Just my $0.02

Good luck!

Thank you for you honest review. I know the Open Country is cousins with the Terra Grappler, was trying to stay with Discount Tire Direct (free shipping) or TK (local). I did some online research and learned that I can get the Open Country A/TII shipped for around the same or a bit less then the Crossteks at TK. Im likely going to go this route as I loved the Terra Grapplers I had on my Ram 1500.

I see a lot of the Crossteks driving around here. At one time, they were offering "buy 2 get 2". I haven't read much negative about them, other than they tramline on grooved highway. One also complained of snow performance. I ended up getting Cooper A/T3s, and love them. The Toyos will also be good.

How much bigger are you thinking of going that would require reprogramming shift points?

I see the Nitto Dura Grappler at DTD in your OE size... it's not one of the models you mentioned, but it does have a much more aggressive tread design than the Michelins you have now.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
I see a lot of the Crossteks driving around here. At one time, they were offering "buy 2 get 2". I haven't read much negative about them, other than they tramline on grooved highway. One also complained of snow performance. I ended up getting Cooper A/T3s, and love them. The Toyos will also be good.

No snow around here so thats not a worry. I saw a set on a pickup like mine and liked the look so I researched them a bit and found that they do have specials on them often on top of their already reasonable price. Im just trying to find the "good, bad, and uglies" on them as I can from people who have used them before. I'm still probably 6 months or so out from actually having to decide and replace.

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
How much bigger are you thinking of going that would require reprogramming shift points?

I see the Nitto Dura Grappler at DTD in your OE size... it's not one of the models you mentioned, but it does have a much more aggressive tread design than the Michelins you have now.

I was thinking of going with 275/65/18. This is stock on the 4x4 model trucks, Ive only seen one 2wd with that size stock. That truck belongs to a co worker and has 3.73 gears from the factory. I know its not much of a change in size, but my gear ratio is 3.31 EL (2wd). A few people on the Ford forums I frequent with my gear ratio has jumped to that size when the time came, and said the gearing wasn't a problem but the shift points were, and they had to have the dealer flash the computer to the new tire size. I keep looking at my co workers truck and am pretty well decided that I will leave well enough alone regarding the size. Its not much of an increase anyway and I would only be doing it to have the Terra Grappler available as an option.

I saw the Dura Grappler on DTD, and it doesn't interest me at all. Its a highway tire and I'm interested in A/Ts. The Discoverer ATPs on DTD do have my attention as well as the AT3s.

Last edited:
I would stick with OE size, or as close to possible. Upsizing may "look" good, but there are too many negative side effects.

I'm quite happy with Cooper AT/3s. I didn't even buy them new, and they still rock. Snow, dry, wet, whatever.

Its a good tire and a cheap tire at the same time.

Originally Posted By: dareo
I'm quite happy with Cooper AT/3s. I didn't even buy them new, and they still rock. Snow, dry, wet, whatever.

Its a good tire and a cheap tire at the same time.

This is the tire I am going with. I am buying them and having them installed at a local mom and pop (not chain) store. Normally I would have ordered online and went through the whole rigamorale of finding somewhere to install them etc, but Im jumping aboard the whole support local business bandwagon. Besides, Id hate to have to deal with a warranty claim or replacement online. The alignment will be thrown in free at the same place. The Michilins that are on there now are at 5.5-6/32s, and will be sold to a co worker whose father drives locally only. They will go on his truck.

Not counting the sale of my used tires, all said and done, going local will cost me $86 more then if I ordered online.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back