Weekly wash + wax (Meguiars Ultimate Liquid)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My usual weekly routine is a wash with Meguiars Ultimate Wash/Wax followed by a spray wax with Meguiars Gold Class spray wax. This week I gave it a wash then waxed it with Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax. I forgot I had this stuff in the closet, also forgot how much I like it! It went on so easy, applied it to the entire car with a cotton pad by hand, then wiped off with a microfiber towel. Super easy and it looks good, I just wanted to use something that would protect from the UV rays. The spray wax does a good job of keeping the water beading if applied every 2 weeks or so, but Im not sure how well it does at protecting from UV's. By the way, do you think this Meguiars Ultimate Liquid wax would last longer then Meguiars Gold Class paste wax? or the other way around? or even the same? Here are the pics, they were taken with my phone so they arent perfect. I just wanted to share my experience with this product.

CAM001451_zpsc7d0a7df.jpg

CAM001461_zps4c2255d1.jpg

CAM001471_zps80b2a5e2.jpg

CAM001481_zps51ffa312.jpg

CAM001491_zps96488ea1.jpg

CAM001501_zps7efa965e.jpg
CAM001511_zps631db0ac.jpg

Ultimate Liquid Wax is far and away a better wax than Gold Class. I never liked Gold Class it's oily and attracts dust too much and never lasted long to begin with, maybe one car wash and that's it. Not to mention I do know the paste and liquid did have harsher abrasives as it was a cleaner wax. If you had a perfect show car finish I've found the Gold Class only dulled it because of the abrasive cleaners.

As a cleaner wax NXT 2.0 is much better in terms of not changing a well polished cars finish but also having enough finer abrasives, read "paint cleaners" to actually reduce very light swirls significantly. And it would last longer to boot. Usually about a month if kept outdoors.

And as for Ultimate Wax that's when Meguiars finally got it right. If I'm comparing them I can definitely tell it's a cleaner wax but it must have a very light load of SMAT abrasives in it as a paint cleaner as my CD test reveals less large particle abrasives and yet Ultimate Wax still shows some minor correcting ability on paint.

A lot of people don't want to believe it but Meguiar's OTC waxes always had abrasives, in it. Though they're very gentle it's the reason why people rave about how good their car looks using Gold Class, NXT and now Ultimate Wax. A 100% pure wax or sealant would do almost nothing in terms of looks.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
By the way, do you think this Meguiars Ultimate Liquid wax would last longer then Meguiars Gold Class paste wax? or the other way around? or even the same?

Synthetic sealants like Ultimate will outlast carnauba wax like Gold Class. This is even more true since you are using the spray wax Gold Class. BTW you are doing the perfect thing that I recommend. Synthetic topped with carnauba. Even though it is a spray wax, you are always keeping a layer on it.

Makes you wax you car less often... which is bad for some.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
Looks really good Can I bring you my Jeep to do? Please?

Sure thing! Bring her on over.

So I used Meguiar's clay bar kit and Ultimate Wax on my car today...wow! I can't believe how easy the wax is to remove! No residue and the shine left behind was absolutely amazing.

WEEKLY!? I had an 89 Honda Accord that looked nearly mint after 23 years. I washed about once a month and waxed about every three months. Once I worked at a place with a parking garage I was able to scale back the waxing to twice a year. This was a car with white, non clearcoated paint. All I did was a single coat of Meguiar's cleaner/wax. Once in a while I used the clay bar.

Maybe when I'm retired I'll wash the car more often, but it'll never be weekly. That's - wow - excessive in my book, but it does look great.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
WEEKLY!? I had an 89 Honda Accord that looked nearly mint after 23 years. I washed about once a month and waxed about every three months. Once I worked at a place with a parking garage I was able to scale back the waxing to twice a year. This was a car with white, non clearcoated paint. All I did was a single coat of Meguiar's cleaner/wax. Once in a while I used the clay bar.

Maybe when I'm retired I'll wash the car more often, but it'll never be weekly. That's - wow - excessive in my book, but it does look great.

Unless it's raining or below freezing, I wash and spray-wax-as-you-dry once a week. When you live in a nasty humid climate where everything sticks to the paint, including dust, a quick $1.50 rinse is worth the trip.

Especially since hand waxing in this heat is equivalent to working out in a tropical jungle with no A/C. I do that only about 2x a year -- so the spray wax helps keep the paint protected.

Meg's Ultimate is their longest lasting, as others have mentioned. It lasts nearly as long as Collinite 845, and others agree with me.

Very easy to use, cool water behavior, and it looks really good. Slick as well!

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Unless it's raining or below freezing, I wash and spray-wax-as-you-dry once a week. When you live in a nasty humid climate where everything sticks to the paint, including dust, a quick $1.50 rinse is worth the trip.

Especially since hand waxing in this heat is equivalent to working out in a tropical jungle with no A/C. I do that only about 2x a year -- so the spray wax helps keep the paint protected.

I lived in Corpus Christi for two years so I know exactly what you are talking about. The dust that constantly blows around is "sticky." Even here in the DFW area it can be pretty humid, this year especially. With my Mazda 3 I am only having to wax once a year. The car is garaged at home and in the parking garage at work. It's practically an indoor car.

I just started using Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax. Went on easy and off easy. The best part is that it will not stain any plastic trim. My routine was to use Klasse AIO as a pre-cleaner/wax then put on the ULW and then finish with Optimum Opti-Seal.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster

Yes, weekly. My car lives outdoors 24/7. We see rain almost every day during the summer, which creates beads of water which attract dust and other debris when then dry on the the paint. Then that happens again day after day, the paint looks pretty dirty and lousy after one week. Not to mention when at home its parked in the driveway which is lined with trees that constantly are dropping debris (sap, sticky water, dust, dirt, bird droppings) when are then baked on by the sun. Washing weekly cleanses that all of before it has time to do excess damage. Plus washing my car is therapeutic.

Yes, weekly. My car lives outdoors 24/7. We see rain almost every day during the summer, which creates beads of water which attract dust and other debris when then dry on the the paint. Then that happens again day after day, the paint looks pretty dirty and lousy after one week. Not to mention when at home its parked in the driveway which is lined with trees that constantly are dropping debris (sap, sticky water, dust, dirt, bird droppings) when are then baked on by the sun. Washing weekly cleanses that all of before it has time to do excess damage. Plus washing my car is therapeutic.

Nice care.....
thumbsup2.gif

Do you occasionally, or at first, use a Clay Bar, a Polish, or Surf City Garage's "Beyond Clay" before the waax?

Originally Posted By: Turk

Nice care.....
thumbsup2.gif

Do you occasionally, or at first, use a Clay Bar, a Polish, or Surf City Garage's "Beyond Clay" before the waax?

I have only used a clay bar once, and I dont have any plans to use one again any time soon. It seemed like lots of work for little reward. My car gets a SPRAY wax after every other wash at least, and a full application of liquid wax at least every 3 months. This combined with weekly washings seem to keep contaminants to a minimum so claying isn't as necessary. To answer your other question, no I have never used a polish due to the fact that I have only clayed once. Ill have to look into that "beyond clay" product, it is easier to use? If so I might be interested.

Ill have to look into that "beyond clay" product, it is easier to use? If so I might be interested.

Ultra-easy to use SCG's Beyond Clay. It's a thick liquid so put it on by hand or with a D/A Polisher, just like any wax or polish.

I do every car with it & just finished a V12 Mercedes Benz SL600. The guy couldn't believe how smooth it was.

Here's some info:

http://surfcitygarage.com/car-care/paint-polishes-scratch-removers/beyond-clay-paint-polish.html

Even with the religious use of spray and liquid wax, you'd be surprised with what a clay bar can pick up. I do it every time I wax because my car sits outside under trees at night, and in a gravel dusty parking lot every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back