Hyundai Tucson Safety Recall - FYI

Status
Not open for further replies.
2006-2007 & 2009-2011 Tucsons produced during March 1 2006 - 19 October 2009 and March 1 2009 - November 30 2010 for stop lamp switch that may have intermittently malfunction.

Says stop lamp switch may cause intermittent operation of the push-button start feature, intermittent ability to remove shifter from park position, illumination of ESC indicator lamp, intermittent interference with cruse control operation, and may cause brake lights to not illuminate - but also states malfunction of the stop lamp switch does not affect performance of braking system.

WoW ---- a stop lamp switch that can cause all that!

I'm just getting around to it - just made appointment to have the stop lamp switch replaced.
Thought I'd post in case others affected and haven't received notification.

Yep, computers watching everything. Need to step on the brake to shift out of park; wouldn't be surprised if pushbutton start required a foot on the brake too.

I like how 2008 managed to not have this issue.

Not just the Tuscons. Hyundai changed to a different company to produce their stop lamp switches. It is a new design. All models are affected in certain production ranges.

If you have a question about whether or not your vehicle is affected, contact your Hyundai dealer and have them run your VIN. It is a 15 minute job. Hyundai did send out mailers for this campaign. It has been running for several months.

Push button start vehicles will not start in the event of a failed stop lamp switch. The information center will inform you to press the brake even though you already are.

Last edited:
My wife had this problem several months ago.

Near the shift leaver there is a small cap. You remove it and pust down with a key, etc., then you can operate the vehicle to get it to the shop. It took about 30 minutes to change out the defective switch - covered under warranty.

If you have push button start I read somewhere if you have this problem and hold down the start button for 10 seconds, it will allow the engine to start.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
On my Genesis Coupe it is the cruise control will not engage or resume.

That is a possible symptom of a bad stop lamp switch also.

Hyundai is very good about identifying issues and taking action. They are a great company.

My time at a Hyundai dealership has been a great experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back