VW 0w-30 506.01 - high oxidation level HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had a sample back from the lab with a reading of 42 abs/cm which has been flagged as high - see sample details below.

Does anyone out there have an opinion on the VW range of oils. I am running a VW Touareg and was recommended (I guess for obvious reasons) to use the VW range. I have done just over 11,000km on this oil and am concerned that I have passed the oils useful limit - am I misunderstanding my report or have I really pushed it too far? Perhaps the lab is being way too conservative in marking 42 as high.

Any ideas much appreciated.

water calcium 2639
oxidation 42
lead 2
sodium 8
titanium 0
FTIR soot 0.1
cadmium 0
iron 19
fuel dilution
magnesium
silver
boron
antimony
nitration
barium
molybdenum
phosphorus
copper
tin
TBN
silicon
nickel
aluminium
vanadium
potassium
chromium
zinc

Did the lab not report the Viscosity reading?
Oil seems to be OK with plenty TBN reserve (additives) and moderate wear numbers... what's your total mileage on this vehicle ? Do you mostly travel on highway or short-trip this vehicle ?

This lab flagged the ester content, which is common. It is my opinion that all 506.01 are ester/pao or ester/HC.It's a tough spec to meet. Toughest from VW actually : lowest wear with lowest viscosity/fuel economy HTHS.
Anyway viscosity should be higher if it's trully oxidized.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
What is the virgin oxidation number? A raw number like that without the virgin oil number is pointless. You are looking for a delta.
So Pablo I guess my question is really "does anyone know what the virgin oxidAtion reading should be for this oil?"
- thanks.

Testing it yourself is the only way to get a correct answer. You need it reported by the same lab that did your analysis, ideally on a virgin sample of the same lot number submitted with your used oil.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back