Castrol 'Transmax' MERCON V?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to Advance Auto parts today to pick up 4 qts. of the BOGO Castrol MERCON V trans. fluid. When did Castrol add the word 'TRANSMAX' to the label?
Is this a 'NEW BREW' of Castrol MERCON V?

OLD LABEL

NEW LABEL

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Merketing Departments come up with all kinds or words they think may be catchy.

Well, I now think my transmission will shift with a new attitude.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: renegade_987
I started using Transmax over a year ago, and it said Transmax on it.

It has been awhile since I have used Castrol MERCON V. I have been using WM/ST and Motorcraft brands.
At $4.00 a qt. that's hard to beat!
thumbsup2.gif

They rebranded all of their transmission fluids as Transmax _____. The naming scheme before was weird: BOT341 was the dual clutch and is now called Transmax Dual which makes more sense, obviously.

TAF-X, SAF-XO, SAF-XJ -- cryptic names. Hard to tell what they do.

Originally Posted By: dparm
They rebranded all of their transmission fluids as Transmax _____. The naming scheme before was weird: BOT341 was the dual clutch and is now called Transmax Dual which makes more sense, obviously.

I just looked it up on Castrol's website. They've consolidated a lot of things into the Transmax line, but Syntrans is the other big lineup.

TAF-X is now Syntrans Transaxle, for example. SAF-XO is now Syntrax Long-Life. SAF-XJ is now Syntrax Limited Slip.

The full list is here:
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/genericarticle.do?categoryId=9014115&contentId=7068181

Finally a sensible branding move by Castrol.

Looks like they need to promote whoever looks after ATF branding to run Motor Oil branding.

Originally Posted By: TrevorS

Finally a sensible branding move by Castrol.

Looks like they need to promote whoever looks after ATF branding to run Motor Oil branding.

Why do you say that? I think it's pretty straight forward based on their website:

GTX = conventional (white bottle)
GTX High-Mileage = conventional high-mileage (gray bottle)
GTX Synblend = synthetic blend (green bottle)

Edge = synthetic (black bottle)
Edge Extended Performance = premium synthetic (gold bottle)

Edge Professional = OEM-specific synthetic (gold bottle, special shape)

That may be the line up now but what about Edge with and without Syntec, with and without Titanium?

They seem to introduce things and then change them every year. Has left me very confused.

Mobil on the other hand has stayed consistent.

Originally Posted By: TrevorS
That may be the line up now but what about Edge with and without Syntec, with and without Titanium?

That branding is gone. There's probably still old bottles on the shelves though. I'll admit it was a bit weird there for a few years.

Syntrans is the other big lineup.

TAF-X is now Syntrans Transaxle, for example. SAF-XO is now Syntrax Long-Life. SAF-XJ is now Syntrax Limited Slip.

The full list is here:
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/genericarticle.do?categoryId=9014115&contentId=7068181

The question is where in the heck in the USA can you actually buy their manual transaxle fluid????

I would love to buy Syntrans Transaxle fluid for my VW Golf but I cannot find a established store or anything online in the US which carries it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back