2013 Toyota Corolla TGMO 0W-20 UOA 950 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Below is the info and comments I sent to Blackstone and below that is the image of the UOA.

REMARKS 2013 COROLLA 1.8L 0W-20 .
This is my first Blackstone test on my “bought it brand new” Toyota Corolla 1.8L

--This sample from the 2nd oil change in it’s 2,550 mile life. Overall, it is a city driving engine.
--This oil has 4 months, 950miles of service, during this time it has it turned very brutal cold in Wisconsin and has about 2 months of 20 minutes of warm-up idling per day followed by ONLY a 4 mile city drive to work.
--The car does mostly city miles 4 miles 2x per day, short trips.
Inquiry: With the warm-up idling daily (20min., which I reluctantly do) at extreme temps (0F to -27F) for 2 of the 4 months oil service…therefore, is there a fuel dilution issue in this sample? I took the oil out with 950miles since it smelled heavily of fuel, perhaps I was being foolish- the science will show.
Inquiry: The dealer OVERFILLED this engine by 1 full quart on my first ever oil change after which I drove 50 miles on highway, no visible immediate damage or warning lights but I “caught” the overfill when I checked oil level at home and saw bubbles, ridiculous! Then it was drained to proper level. Does it look like it starved any bearings in this brand new car from the overfill?
Inquiry: In general, anything weird happening in this “new car engine”??

https://www.flickr.com/photos/digitalanalog/12684210723/in/photostream/
photostream

That oil can go 5000 miles in that service with no problem. Test again at 20,000 miles after all of the break in garbage is out.

Anyone have thoughts on how the TBN could fall off a cliff down to 2.1 after 950 miles on the oil. This TGMO starts at TBN 6.8 new.

My new 2013 Camry has a TBN of 4.4 after 3 times as many miles on the oil.

This was the vehicle's second oil change and man that TBN dropped in just 950 miles!

Yikes, my oil might be at a TBN of 0.00 after just 2k miles at this rate.

Originally Posted By: Doog
That oil can go 5000 miles in that service with no problem. Test again at 20,000 miles after all of the break in garbage is out.

By severe service do you imply the 4 mile twice daily commute OR the cold harsh winter in Wisconsin ?

Originally Posted By: fpracha
Originally Posted By: Doog

By severe service do you imply the 4 mile twice daily commute OR the cold harsh winter in Wisconsin ?

I'll let Doog answer as well but I'd suppose he meant both. Essentially making these conditions a double whammy.

I keep thinking on the TBN and what it did in 950 miles that made it disappear. Yet Blackstone didn't seem alarmed in the least.

Originally Posted By: JerryBob
I thought TGMO had more moly in it.

Toyota 0W-20 SN Virgin UOA

Iron 0.7
Nickel 0.0
Chromium 0.1
Titanium 0.2
Copper 0.0
Aluminum 1.5
Tin 0.7
Silicon 5.7
Potassium 0.0
Sodium 1.1
Boron 0.6
Barium 0.0
Calcium 2829
Magnesium 12
Molybdenum 124 Was 800 SM
Sodium 1.1
Phosphorus 906
Sulfur 3489
Zinc 910
Visc@40C 37.38
Visc@100C 8.54
VI 216
TBN 6.84

Originally Posted By: cookieman214
Originally Posted By: JerryBob
I thought TGMO had more moly in it.

Toyota 0W-20 SN Virgin UOA
Molybdenum 124 Was 800 SM
Phosphorus 906
Sulfur 3489
Zinc 910
Visc@40C 37.38
Visc@100C 8.54
VI 216
TBN 6.84

I understand even less than 100 (about 70-80) moly was also reported in the tgmo SN.

But this TBN of 6.84 seems a bit low... is this analysis in error ?

I'd be more concerned with how much it sheared in 900 miles. Toyota can keep that over priced & over hyped stuff, I'll stick with M1 & PP.

I'm old school and in older cars you would change out the FF after 500-1000 miles(old oil filters were not efficient)... If you talk to engineers today, the last thing you want to do is lose the FF before 3-5K miles or even longer. The FF and the engine from assembly is loaded with additives/moly and these engines could have issues if you change it out to early. Any engine break-in material will be caught by the oil filter. Anything that is left will not harm the engine. The FF aids in the break -in of these engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back