generator makes rattling sound after warming up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed that after my generator runs for 20 minutes it will start making this clanking/rattling noise. This is the second time it's one this. It still runs nice and smooth and I haven't been able to pinpoint exactly where it's coming from. I read on the internet that if a generator isn't perfectly level it will rattle. That sounds weird, what's going to rattle? One thing I didn't think of was to see if it still rattles without a load. Why would it take 20 minutes for it to start making noise?

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I haven't been able to pinpoint exactly where it's coming from.

image_18203.jpg

Are you using a multigrade automotive oil? Mine does this when hot unless you are running a HD oil. Rotella T5 or Valvoline racing syn 10w30 may help - if you don't have some odd loose ancillary component. The smaller Gensets don't have oil pumps or filters - they are scraper lubed.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Are you using a multigrade automotive oil? Mine does this when hot unless you are running a HD oil. Rotella T5 or Valvoline racing syn 10w30 may help - if you don't have some odd loose ancillary component. The smaller Gensets don't have oil pumps or filters - they are scraper lubed.

+1 My Chonda rattles unless I use Rotella T5. Put some of that Delo400 in it.

Last edited:
Wow, you think the rattle is due to multi-grade automotive oil?

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

I use the Honda SJ rated 10w30. So I take it any rattling/scraping/knocking noises shouldn't be heard? If I take it to the dealer and they find nothing wrong will they charge me even though it's under warranty? Also if it is something serious like a manufacturing defect can they just give me a new generator instead of having them repair it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm trying to decide if I should just keep running it and see what happens or take it in. I sure hate to have people work on my stuff. I'm kind of [censored] that this thing is brand new and it's messed up already.

Originally Posted By: lumpy_grits
The rattle can be oil issue if the genny is not level.
Also, fill the oil till it's at the treads of the filler.
LG

How level does it need to be? Is an inch higher on one side going to cause it to rattle? It's pretty hard to find a perfectly level surface. The oil is to the top of the dipstick. There aren't any low or full marks on it but the manual said to fill it until it's at the top of the crosshatching. That's what I did.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe it got diluted with fuel. I did have a problem with the carb overflowing with gas. The oil level didn't look like it went up though. Should I use a 10w40 instead? I think you're right though. It the only explanation for why it would occur once the engine is hot. I've experienced engine noise from oil though and I have a bunch of small engines.

Did you read the owners manual where it sez to use 5W-30 or 10W-30 oil?
I use 5W-30 in my Honda gennys. No noise at all and I run mine in 110* heat all day long.
Change the oil............
Run prem fuel.
LG

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lumpy_grits
Did you read the owners manual where it sez to use 5W-30 or 10W-30 oil?
I use 5W-30 in my Honda gennys. No noise at all and I run mine in 110* heat all day long.
Change the oil............
Run prem fuel.
LG

I use 10w30 Honda oil

I brought it to the dealer today and it worked great. So who knows. The only difference was that it was pretty much perfectly level this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back