Volt 23,662 miles Factory Fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the UOA on our Volt after 23,662 miles, and 20 months. During that time we estimate that we burned approximately 112 gallons of fuel. All but a handful of times did the engine oil get up to operating temperature due to the nature of the Volt programming and how we use it. I would define it as the poster child for severe service due to the very short trip nature. The OLM read 75%.

Cheers!

OIL AC Delco Dexos 1
MILES IN USE 23,662 miles/112 gallons
MILES 23,662
SAMPLE TAKEN 1/29/2014 - 20 months

ALUMINUM 7
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 28
COPPER 87
LEAD 1
TIN 3
CADMIUM 0
VANADIUM 0
MOLYBDENUM 67
ANTIMONY 0
NICKEL 3
MANGANESE 6
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 4
BORON 52
SILICON 39
SODIUM 8
CALCIUM 1003
MAGNESIUM 698
LITHIUM 0
PHOSPHORUS 668
ZINC 742
BARIUM 4

WATER 0.0
SUS @ 212ºF 53.0
cSt @ 100ºC 8.2
Flashpoint ºF 320
Fuel % 2.3
Antifreeze 0.0
Insolubles 0.2
TBN 3.8

Originally Posted By: TrevorS
So the OLM is suggesting another 60 months is possible (75% left or gone?) or will it trip earlier for time?

It would trip at 24 months

By my calculation you are getting 211 miles to the gallon.
23662 miles @ 112 gallons of fuel.

impressive!

Originally Posted By: Sunnyinhollister
Here's the UOA on our Volt after 23,662 miles, and 20 months. During that time we estimate that we burned approximately 112 gallons of fuel. All but a handful of times did the engine oil get up to operating temperature due to the nature of the Volt programming and how we use it. I would define it as the poster child for severe service due to the very short trip nature. The OLM read 75%.

Cheers!

OIL AC Delco Dexos 1
MILES IN USE 23,662 miles/112 gallons
MILES 23,662
SAMPLE TAKEN 1/29/2014 - 20 months

ALUMINUM 7
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 28
COPPER 87
LEAD 1
TIN 3
CADMIUM 0
VANADIUM 0
MOLYBDENUM 67
ANTIMONY 0
NICKEL 3
MANGANESE 6
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 4
BORON 52
SILICON 39
SODIUM 8
CALCIUM 1003
MAGNESIUM 698
LITHIUM 0
PHOSPHORUS 668
ZINC 742
BARIUM 4

WATER 0.0
SUS @ 212ºF 53.0
cSt @ 100ºC 6.2
Flashpoint ºF 320
Fuel % 2.3
Antifreeze 0.0
Insolubles 0.2
TBN 3.8

So the OLM is suggesting another 60 months is possible (75% left or gone?) or will it trip earlier for time?

And does the 75% mean 75% left or 75% used?

By my calculations your engine has made no more than 100 hours of operation or between 2500 to 3000 miles of a normal engine, having said that, I think the UOA is in the normal range the only thing that worries me is the silicon content, I think is high for an engine with too little use, I don't know if this engine comes with silicon sealants that made that number higher

Also it will be good to know how many kWh has used

To do 23,000 miles, I'd imagine a good amount of electricity was used.

Can the OP shed more light into how much it cost to run the Volt during this time, taking into account any increase in electricity bill as a result of the car charging. I'm definitely interested.

And does the 75% mean 75% left or 75% used?

75% Remaining

Originally Posted By: Darwin1138
By my calculations your engine has made no more than 100 hours of operation or between 2500 to 3000 miles of a normal engine, having said that, I think the UOA is in the normal range the only thing that worries me is the silicon content, I think is high for an engine with too little use, I don't know if this engine comes with silicon sealants that made that number higher

Also it will be good to know how many kWh has used

I would think that the silicon is from sealers or maybe from the casting process?

Originally Posted By: Artem
To do 23,000 miles, I'd imagine a good amount of electricity was used.

Can the OP shed more light into how much it cost to run the Volt during this time, taking into account any increase in electricity bill as a result of the car charging. I'm definitely interested.

The total amount of electricity used since we purchased the vehicle in May of 2012 was never tracked I'm sorry to say. And the cost for the electricity will vary because we are able to use some free charging stations, we have time of use energy rates out here, and we installed solar in our home.

As far as energy use, it takes approximately 10.8 kwh to fully charge the Volt. We can normally get 42 to 47 miles on a charge in this area. Part of the reason is that the temperature here is extremely mild. Once you start using a lot of AC or heat, the range will drop. And obviously how you drive will also impact the range you get. I can drive to work (IF I can pry the keys from my wife's hand)charge the car during my 12 hour shift, and drive home which is ~106 miles round trip on 0.4 gallons of gas.

Interesting - I know nada about the Volt.

I understand it's FF, but if 75% is left to go, wonder what the iron, copper and fuel dilution would be at 50%, 25% 10% etc.
Just seems (to me) I wouldn't want to let the FF get the OLM down in low numbers (i.e. 10%).
Then again, I understand FF will have elevated iron, copper etc.

I figured the fuel dilution would be a little high, but with a flash point of 320ºF and a cSt @ 100ºC of 8.2 (the 6.2 was a typo), I think I might just do an annual drain and fill with the cheapest Dexos 1 that I can find and change the filter every other year.

I figured the fuel dilution would be a little high, but with a flash point of 320ºF and a cSt @ 100ºC of 8.2 (the 6.2 was a typo)

I edited your original post with the corrected info for you
smile.gif

With the epa combined 37 MPG gas only that's equal to 4,144 miles on the gas engine. Looks pretty typical for such a break in run on a new engine with the wear metals. Surprised no moisture present.

Good call on changing it by time.

The volt is rated to use 35 kWh/100 miles. So about 6,800 kWs used for electric. That is subtracting the 4,144 miles from the 23,662 run. Not sure what the efficiency of the charger is if you are figuring out the electric cost to the home.

Fantastic mileage! I love the plugin hybrid concept.

What oil/viscosity did you refill with?

I can't speak for effeciancy since battery's are so inefficient.. But that's roughly $816 worth of power if my math is correct compared to my last power bill and that's with 100% efficiency.

On a odd side note its also my former area code.

10.8kw Hours in Virginia would be around $1.50 with tax, etc. So $1.50 to go 42 to 47 miles is not bad. At the rate you're going, I'd just put synthetic in it and change oil every 3 years or so.

Son in law has a volt, had his first oil change at 2 years, first time that it had seen any shop and to keep the warranty intact the OCI is 2 years or the OLM. As to electricity cost, he did not notice any real change upon purchase and finally got the 240 charger installed at home and loves that. Wish I had asked him to get an oil sample. I like the car and great for his use but as I said when they purchased it, way overpriced even with the energy credits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back