Polaris Acers and Polaris Sportsman 570.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was working in Port Ritchey, last week and there was a big Polaris dealer, so I thought I would check out these new models from Polaris. First the Polaris Acer, which is pretty dang cool. It reminds me so much of the Honda Odyssey, I am surprised there is not lawsuits on patent infringement. I know Honda is kicking themselves. This is a Polaris go-cart. It seems to be a Polaris quad, with the engine and transmission moved to the back. Its really no larger than a quad platform. It seems easy to work on, rare for Polaris. Polaris bought back Fuji motors, so they will be making all their own stuff in house now, so there shouldn't be the issues of before where, the engine, frame and transmission all came from somewhere else and hope everyone did the right math to make it fit. The Acer is nice, and the price was right around 7,000 which for a quad/utv is pretty good. I think anyone that checks them out will be impressed. Next the New Polaris Sportsman 570. The Polaris salesman was giving me a sales pitch on how Polaris has the largest R&D dept. and is burying the Japanese companies. From afar the New 570 looked Great, from Afar. I like the plastic, it looks better, it covers more of the motor and fits better. The front end looks much better than the year before, which made it look skinny. That's where it ends. I asked him if the R&D Dept was in Colorado, because they need to lay off the weed. The Battery is on the bottom of the frame by the front driveshaft. It almost looks like they made the quad and thought Oops we forgot the battery, just set it on there. Honest it literally looks like someone just set it there. It will go under water on just about any water crossing and mud, you wont even find it. STUPID. Next the transmission, it looks like a Artic Cat, nothing says, you have a better design than copying it. I don't like it either. The axles are smaller, which the Polaris salesman told me its a to save the transmission. I am like What??? He said Polaris decided to put lighter axles on the quads, so the axles snap and save the transmission and clutches from blow-out. The axles are the weakest link, axles are the shear pins? I have been buying Polaris since 1992. I have 17 of them now. I have never seen a clutch or transmission blow out. I seen transmission chains stretch from using the wrong oil. I have never seen a transmission fail, Ive seen them run without oil, full of mud and abused terribly ( I did it)They are bulletproof. But hey, lucky coincidence lighter axles have to be cheaper-right? Nothing to do with it. Polaris will refer to the New Polaris Sportsman 570 as their Econoline. Never, ever refer to a toy that costs over 5,000.00 as Econ-anything. Call it the Extreme line, the Limited, the Bad A muthrumudder line. Not Econo. Really, they need to get the Polaris R&D out of Colorado, apparently they have a clam bake going on there. Go back to Minnesota, where they belong.

I have a new Ranger with the 570 engine and have nothing but praise for that nifty piece of engineering. There are some glaring omissions on the Ranger however, for the price of these things, it should be perfect in all respects.

I think the 570 is a good engine. But check the new Sportsman. I would have to re-locate the battery. It really looks dumb. They forgot about it. Don't tell me they had "NO Where Else "to put it.

Guess where Polaris puts the battery and many electrical connections on their RZR's? Same basic place the 570 Sportsman battery sits. Guess what else, they really don't have any problems with water affecting the battery or connections. When they put a piece of plastic on the frame, hiding the battery, it will be a non issue. Out of sight, out of mind.

The battery on my Scrambler sits out in the open right above the left rear wheel. It gets completely covered in mud every time I ride it. No big deal, I just hose it off, never been a problem at all. At 6 years old it now needs a new battery, but so does our Kawasaki which uses the exact same battery but has it tucked away under the seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back