Spark plug change on an MR20DE - 2.0 Nissan motor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone done one of these yet? I looked it up online and it didn't seem too difficult though I don't feel like fooling with it while it's cold out. I took it to the local mechanic- he told me it was an hour and a half labor so I was fine with that, now he's calling me back saying that the intake has to come off and it's three hours labor, $285! That sounds ridiculous, the dealer does it for$180 w/ parts.

Don't do it!
Wait for more info from here
smile.gif

I have never had to remove an intake to remove the plugs. My Altima's plugs are over top and easy to remove.

Are they Ir? If so leave them in till 100k easy (unless you glazed them or are experiencing mileage and power decline). Dontr feel ttoo bad, my fit requires the intake come off to adjust the (adjustable) valve lash - ALSO - my plugs are under the dash windshield at the back of the motor.

Last edited:
They have 104 k on them. Manual says 105k. I called a second and a third dealer- the second dealer says $550 the third dealer said $325- [censored], I should just wait till it gets warmer out!

Its a plastic intake with O ring seals so what if you have to pull it?

If your of decent mechanical knowledge do it yourself! Its really not that hard on the MR series engines at all. I think I'll have to pull the intake for ONE darn plug on my 2013 Sentra when the time comes...

I was researching this topic and it seems like despite the fact it takes a lot of time to get to spark plugs it is crucial to use torque wrench when tightening new plugs.

There were some cases in Eastern Europe when people were changing spark plugs on MR20DE and tightening plugs from hand causing cracks in engine block.

It seems like MR20DE has coolant areas around the plugs area so if over-tightened it will crack and you will need to change the whole block (or engine).

After reading this I decided not to change the plugs yet until they are due.

Really doesn't look that bad even with the intake having to be removed. Just don't overtighten fasteners since everything, including the intake, is plastic. Plus, throttle body coolant lines need to come off so you might need to top off and bleed the cooling system. Perfect time to change the coolant as well.

Last edited:
montero1,

Originally Posted By: montero1
Has anyone done one of these yet? I looked it up online and it didn't seem too difficult though I don't feel like fooling with it while it's cold out.

I took a look at my service book and I see that Nissan suggests to change spark plugs every 90'000 km (55923 miles) since it uses "Double Platinum" plugs.

I wonder, what is written in your service book?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back