Chevy C1500,305 V8 Fram PH373 or Purolator l40084?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using Fram PH373 or Purolator l40084 for close to 30k miles. Truck has 308k on the engine. One headgasket replacement at 30k. No ADBV or Bypass on this filter. It is mounted vertically with the threads up. Never made a peep of startup rattle other than the famous GM piston slap. I know that's a non-issue and if you let it warm up about a minute before driving it you never hear it. These are 2 quart filter and the truck takes a full 6 quarts per change, and never burns any oil. Maybe 1/4 quart in 3-4k miles. I get the filters for $3 piece and I really can't beat that deal. It gets whatever I have on hand. (Reads acquired for free or next to free) PYB 20w-50 in the summer months and Maxlife 10w-40 in the winter. It had 5w-30 or 0w-30 until 250k miles when I acquired it. It was my dads truck driven to Lordstown to the GM plant for the majority of its life. 50 mile round trip every day, 6 days a week. The thing runs like a champ. I use a little MMO in the fuel and with the thicker oil seems to run a little better compression wise. What do you guys think? I think I can get 500k out of it.

Amsoil ATF, Royal Purple 75w-140 gear lube (posi still works!),

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,
I work for FRAM, what you are using is pretty common thing to do for Chevy guys and there is certainly no problem with running the larger filter except for one-
(Please keep in mind all filter companies have the same policy, not just FRAM)
If you ever had some kind of failure related to the oil filter, the very first things that claims people do is look up the part number. If it is not correct for your engine, they will automatically deny your claim. The claims depts staff are not mechanics, they are trained to check proper application first. That said, it's really a non issue as Chevy owners have been running the 373 on small blocks since the beginning of time. I use a 7317 on my nissan that calls for a 6607 because it is an inch longer and it just makes me feel better. That said, we get letters every week from Chevy truck owners with more than 500k. Look up Scott Lipford on Youtube, he is a little over the top in his zeal for FRAM but his Sonoma now has over 600k miles on it, enegine has never been apart/

Originally Posted By: Motorking
Hello,
I work for FRAM, what you are using is pretty common thing to do for Chevy guys and there is certainly no problem with running the larger filter except for one-
(Please keep in mind all filter companies have the same policy, not just FRAM)
If you ever had some kind of failure related to the oil filter, the very first things that claims people do is look up the part number. If it is not correct for your engine, they will automatically deny your claim. The claims depts staff are not mechanics, they are trained to check proper application first. That said, it's really a non issue as Chevy owners have been running the 373 on small blocks since the beginning of time. I use a 7317 on my nissan that calls for a 6607 because it is an inch longer and it just makes me feel better. That said, we get letters every week from Chevy truck owners with more than 500k. Look up Scott Lipford on Youtube, he is a little over the top in his zeal for FRAM but his Sonoma now has over 600k miles on it, enegine has never been apart/

It's nice to hear someone actually understand and validate the filter maker position. I have said this for years.

There is nothing "wrong" with using a larger filter as long as it's not physical hazard, etc. But two things should be acknowledged before doing so:
1) when one ventures off the reservation, then the burden of proof is upon the person who made that choice to show that the decision was valid; the product maker can deny warranty coverage and it would be up to the individual to prove that the use was otherwise acceptable in a court or in arbitration. That is a LONG UPHILL battle, because you'd have to prove it with data and studies in lab and field testing; the filter maker has all kinds of data and cash to back up it's engineering application - what do you have past supposition and opinion?
2) there is no proof whatsoever that a larger filter truly makes any tangible different in wear reduction; UOA data does not support this, nor do any SAE studies exist specific to this topic. Folks do it because they "think" it's "better", but no proof exists that this truly manifests into reality. I would challenge anyone to show me the data otherwise! I don't want your theory; show me real hard facts that support the claim.

It may well help to consolidate shelf stock by using common filters for many aplications; that is a true benefit. But that certainly is a small one. You may even find a "cheaper" but larger filter in the same product line; you may save 50 cents or less; again a small but tangible benefit.

While you certainly can upsize a filter, it must be recognized that there is a big risk and little reward.

Caveat Emptor.

^^^Thanks for pointing out that beside some "feel good" aspects there is likely very little or even no tangible benefits on most cars for the usage of a larger filter than spec'd.

You really "hit the nail on the head" so to speak. There is no evidence that supports running a larger filter and as you piont out, you are removing liability from the filter maker and putting it upon yourself, and yet even though I work in oil filter engineering and marketing, I find myself using a huge HP6 filter on my drift car, a slightly larger 7317 instead of the teacup sized 6607 on My turbo Nissan and even a XG3600 on my Kohler lawnmower
(that one is because I am way to cheap to pay for the champ labs made Kohler filter at 18$).
Again, no real reason to do it and you are taking liability for your decision when you do this.

I do it, too, on my Goldwing. I will pay $4 for a "same as" filter that is not spec'd but it much cheaper and easier to attain. It is not "better" for the engine; it's "easier" on my wallet and my drive to select a common filter with similar performance and physical characteristics. But four things play into this decision:
1) the bike is out of warranty
2) I can wrench on my own stuff should the unthinkable happen
3) I am able to correctly interpret and apply the selection criteria for filtration
4) I accept the risk and won't blame someone else for my choice

People often believe (mistakenly) that a larger filter is "better" for the engine. There is ZERO proof that this is true. Not in macro UOA data and not in SAE studies (the absence of which is proof of the lack of afirmative confirmation). To want a larger filter is fine, but it's not "needed". Do it because you want to save money, or commonize garge stock, or have an easier time of getting product; these are "better" for you, not the engine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back