2012 Ram 2500 w/Cummins 6.7L; which synthetic oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: annoymyhat
I went with your suggestion on the oil (as well as becoming a preferred customer). How can I find out about the bypass filtration setup for my truck? Can you provide additional information?

Syn, bypass and short OCIs ...
crazy2.gif

With the EGR, you can expect more frequent oil changes.

The 6.7 is not like a 12 year old 5.9.

Extended change intervals probably won't be an option.

In your opinion, what is a short OCI? I'd already planned to change oil and filter out every 5-6K. Should I go to an even shorter interval?

You are on the right track with your planned intervals.

Sometimes the oil service light might come on earlier than 5000 miles.

In your opinion, what is a short OCI? I'd already planned to change oil and filter out every 5-6K. Should I go to an even shorter interval?
It really depends on how you operate it-if you haul or tow heavy regularly, there will be fewer regens to get fuel in the oil. But if you short trip a lot, the fuel may be excessive by 5K. That's why UOAs are worth it. I'm going to change the oil in my '06 soon, and it's been 3 1/2 YEARS since I had to do it last-because UOAs have shown it's still OK (but no DPF, either).

Wait - now we're suggesting UOAs on top of his normal OCIs, use of syn and bypass filtration ... ???

Is there no end to the lavish "must have" phenomenon?
21.gif

Forums like this are full of a lot of useful information and recommendations from other consumers. These forums are also full of a lot of overkill. I'm more than willing to set boundaries for what I feel is reasonable and what I feel is not. Let's face it: most of our opinions have more to do with peace of mind than actual efficacy.

That being said, I appreciate all of the information provided to me so far on this post. I'm new to diesel motors and need different viewpoints.

I actually only meant UOAs on an extended OCI (which is a BAD idea anyway until he's out of warranty)-on the "bypass" front I'm going to run a Fleetguard LF9028 Venturi filter & see how that affects the soot. It'll probably take another 3 years to find out, though! With my luck, I would break an oil line & toast my engine if I ran a bypass!

Forums like this are full of a lot of useful information and recommendations from other consumers. These forums are also full of a lot of overkill. I'm more than willing to set boundaries for what I feel is reasonable and what I feel is not. Let's face it: most of our opinions have more to do with peace of mind than actual efficacy.

That being said, I appreciate all of the information provided to me so far on this post. I'm new to diesel motors and need different viewpoints.

Fair enough. But know that the topic of engine oil and filtration is not "unique" to diesels; the same concepts apply. While there are unique operational conditions, the same judgement criteria are valid; wear, contamination, OCI duration, etc.

You've been here a couple of years, but not posted much. I have no idea if that means you don't frequent this site, or just sit and listen w/o posting. Purchase and read this SAE study: 2007-01-4133
Read this about UOAs: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/used-oil-analysis-how-to-decide-what-is-normal/

Your 6.7L is not unlike the 5.9, except for fuel dilution issues. I am fully aware of the changes over the years, but when it comes to wear, not much has changed except for regen cycles; no syn lube or bypass filter is going to avoid or deter or alter that topic. The best way to deal with fuel dilution in a stock vehicle is to use short-to-moderate OCIs. Anything up to the OEM interval will be fine. There is no need for UOAs if that's your plan, either.

The ISB has a reputation for low wear, it was made for hard use, and it's not a sludger. There is no documented reason to think it needs any special form of treatment for normal OCIs. Any CJ-4 lube will suffice; any brand or grade will safely protect your engine for OEM durations as long as it meets the OEM criteria (CES-20081 ? IIRC).

There are some UOAs here where a member (BigGreyMegaCab ?) was running towards 20k mile OCIs on dino VPB. He has a stock/near stock 5.9L. Your engine is very similar to his, presuming you're stock/near stock as well. The only issue that would be unqiue to your engine would be the fuel issue; this will be largely effected by the type use you put the engine through. And no super-duper lube system product is going to alter that. I am not saying you can run that far; it is likely that fuel will be a concern long before you run that many miles. My example is that the engine can run a LONG time on normal oil, if outside influences are kept in check. The ISB is capable of running long OCIs on dino oil in terms of wear; only the fuel will cut back your OCI plan. The ISB does not need syns or bypass to reduce wear that does not exist ... Get it?

I've got well more than 10,000 UOAs in my database; many from the ISB in all it's iterations over the years. I can tell you with 100% certainty that the engine you have will not fare any "better" by using syns and bypass and UOAs, if your OCI plan and use is "normal". ANY qualified lube will suffice and do every bit as well at protecting your engine. This isn't about dino being "good" and syn being "better"; that does not apply. I am stating the data proves they are equal under the conditions I constrain them to as defined by "normal" applications (which includes OEM OCIs and use typical of mass market macro data).

These are not "opinions"; these are facts. This is information that is based upon SAE testing and over 500 UOAs for your engine family, analyzing a w-i-d-e variety of lubes and applications. There isn't anything you're likely to do to your engine that I haven't seen in my UOA database already.

You are free to do what you want, but if your plan is following the OEM OCI or less, which is likely a good decision given the potential for excess regen fuel, then any decent dino CJ-4 is going to provide excellent service, equal to any other upgraded alternative, for a lower cost.

My Facts: The ISB needs nothing more than a CJ-4 lube and typical filter for normal OCIs; top-tier products do not distinguish themselves in these conditions.
My Opinion: You'll be wasting money if you over-buy.

However, if you doubt me, then why not rise to a challenge? First, run several succeesive OEM OCIs with a CJ-4 dino oil, and UOA the wear. Then go upscale and use Amsoil lubes and bypass filtration, and again run several successive UOAs. Post up the data for all of us to see. Let's see whose "opinion" is closer to the mark. I'll even put my money where my mouth is! I'll escrow money for one normal dino OCI; you pick a member that will hold the money. After the series of trials, if the lubes perform within "normal" statistical standards (3rd sigma deviation as defined by tradiational analysis using Blackstone UOA data) then I get to keep my money; if not then the money is yours. The only risk you have is wasting your own money on UOAs and syns and bypass; that is your cost to bear. Care to take the dare?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back