Cheap$ Tires, Falken, Primewell, Milestar, Which ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2000 Saturn SL2, I'm in need of Tires really badly but am strapped for cash at the moment.

I deliver Pizza for a Living and live in the Upper Midwest, USA. Therefore I need a Durable All 4 Season Tire.

I've found 3 relatively inexpensive Tires I'm interested in. ($=US Dollars)

1. Falken Sincera SN-828 43$ each at Discount Tire
Discount Tire/Falken

2.Primewell PS 830/850 43$ each at Tires-Plus
Tires-Plus/Primewell

3. Milestar M665 Touring SE 39$ each at Sears
Sears/Milestar

Any of you had experience with any of those 3 Tires ?
Any of you had Tires experience with any of those 3 Company's ?

My Main concern is Tread Ware, I drive a lot of Miles so need a Durable Tire.

Any and All Opinions appreciated.

Originally Posted By: GutsyGecko
Falken. It's a real tire brand...

+1 ^^^^^^^

Of the ones mentioned only choose the Falkens.

with those choices you would be better off spending a few dollars more.I have the falkens and are not impressed I am only at 7,500 and they are wearing more than I would like to see I had to have one replaced that had cracks in the tread.Not sure if it was defective or not DT just charged me like 20.00 and put a new one on which I think they should of just replaced.

Amongst the three, I would pick falken. It's the best amongst the three. Milestar is also a decent economy tire. Note that an economy tire is a economy tire. If you drive a lot, I would be saving up to buy better tires after this set.

After all, your life and your livelihood depends on your tires. Get the best you can afford. No use getting cheap tires and get into an accident.

Good advice by EdwardC. Borrow 30-40$ if you can. If not Falken..i wouldnt put primewell or milestar on an enemies car...junk and not worth it

Get Cooper CS4 T rated from Treaddepot. $210 for 4 with a $50 instant rebate. 80K tried true and proven warranty. Better tire than any you have listed above, and will last twice as long. Think long term savings if you drive that many miles.

Originally Posted By: Scanoe
I have a 2000 Saturn SL2, I'm in need of Tires really badly but am strapped for cash at the moment.

I deliver Pizza for a Living and live in the Upper Midwest, USA. Therefore I need a Durable All 4 Season Tire.

Discount Tire/Falken

Tires-Plus/Primewell

Sears/Milestar

Kumho Sense tires. You're welcome.

Originally Posted By: lizpat
Originally Posted By: Scanoe

Discount Tire/Falken

Tires-Plus/Primewell

Sears/Milestar

Kumho Sense tires. You're welcome.

+1

I have used the primewells before , its popular low end for firestone stores.

Good threadlife , a bit noisy, but no better or wost than Goodyear assurance bands.

I'd use em if there is a big discount between it installed and other options.Falken is better brand over all tho.

I'd save up and buy better tires.

Another option..."pull-off" tires from a used tire dealer...tires that were upgraded early on that have 80-90% tread left for 50% the retail new price...just get high quality tires with no patch or plug...

Originally Posted By: KitaCam
Another option..."pull-off" tires from a used tire dealer...tires that were upgraded early on that have 80-90% tread left for 50% the retail new price...just get high quality tires with no patch or plug...

A great idea, but around here used tires are no longer a bargain as the prices of good new tires continue to rise and drag the used market up with them...

Yeah, and used tires leave a lot of questions, unless maybe you can get take offs from somebody you know. Used rims are another thing.

I guess this is why some people get two tires at a time instead of four. Maybe keep the best two for now and then replace them next year.

Falken ZE-912s wear fast, don't have very good wet or snow traction, either. The Primewells may be noisy, but at least they appear to have decent tread on them. Only Milestars I've used have been trailer tires, & they were JUNK (but may not be a good comparison). My mom's CS4s have been decent so far in summer use only. Good luck!

I would also go the cooper route. I know that a lot of people like them, but my experience with Falken was not good. I had them on two different cars/ 90+ percent highway driving. I got 28k out of one set and 30k out of the other. currently I have Kumho on one car with approx. 30% wear at 25k miles and Michelin on the other with less than 25% wear at 22k miles.

If you do get falkens, buy them from a dealer that will honor the treadlife warranty without a hassle. for me, theres a certain discount tire chain that has always honored their warranty without a hassle - most dealers will weasel out unless you have proof of rotations, alignments, and even then...

Last edited:
If life of the tire is the big concern, I had a set of Primewells that would never wear out. They are cheap and ride like cr*p, but they don't wear out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back