2003 audi a4 1.8 turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sister just bought the car and had the oil changed. The place where she got it changed, used pentosin 5w40 and a mann filter.

Last edited:
I'd use any of the VW 502/505 approved oils that you can find off-the-shelf:

Castrol Edge 0w40
Castrol Edge 0w30
Castrol Edge 5w40
Mobil 1 0w40
Valvoline SynPower 5w40

You could also use Shell Rotella T6 5w40, which is a stout oil and a good value (though not formally approved for that motor).

Mann, Mahle, and Hengst all are OEM filter suppliers and should work just fine.

Thanks dparm. What was weird is when she showed me her car today I opened the hood and took a look at the dipstick. The oil was a good inch over the full line. I called a buddy who has the same car and he said that's were its supposed to be. I don't know a thing about audi so I guess I believe him.

Also I did notice the engine kinda looked sludged somewhat. The cap was nasty and I was wondering what could clean that up for her.

Originally Posted By: waltywalt
Also I did notice the engine kinda looked sludged somewhat. The cap was nasty and I was wondering what could clean that up for her.

Sadly yes, the 1.8T is a notorious sludger.

Best thing to do is use a quality synthetic and change it often. There are some "atom bomb" treatments but I wouldn't do that just yet.

For now, stick with a good synthetic and run some shorter intervals to try and flush it out. If you're mechanically inclined, pull the valve cover and inspect for sludge/varnish.

Originally Posted By: dparm

Sadly yes, the 1.8T is a notorious sludger.

Best thing to do is use a quality synthetic and change it often. There are some "atom bomb" treatments but I wouldn't do that just yet.

For now, stick with a good synthetic and run some shorter intervals to try and flush it out. If you're mechanically inclined, pull the valve cover and inspect for sludge/varnish.

Would you not use a engine flush?

Yeah that's what I told my sister to do. She took the car today to get the oil changed and they hit her up for 120.00 dollars. So I told her ill do it for her next time. She doesn't have the owners manual for the car and I don't know a thing about audi but when I looked in the oil cap it wasn't pretty. not totally nasty but not clean. Whats a good oci for cleaning this engine. And should I use penzoil ultra euro to clean it.

Originally Posted By: BertieBlue

I've never been a fan of those. Until the OP pulls the valve cover, we don't even know if it's necessary.

Originally Posted By: dparm

I've never been a fan of those. Until the OP pulls the valve cover, we don't even know if it's necessary.

Interesting. I have read the argument regarding flushing cleaning deposits that stop OLD engines leaking, but for newer engines were deposits from age/design [censored] fuel oil etc isn't an issue, perhaps getting rid of sludge outweighs those issues ?

Also, using oil to clean is gentle, but maybe speed is better?

Or not. Why don't you like them?

Whats a good oci for cleaning this engine.

3.000 miles

And should I use penzoil ultra euro to clean it.

Not necessarily . Any well priced oil with a HTHS of 3.5 will do the job .

The Mann filter was a good choice by the shop, same as OE. I'd recommend buying the Mann filter on Amazon for when you do the changes yourself. I *think* (you can confirm) the part number is W94025 . If you were ever buying a bunch of stuff, E Euro Parts has cheapest price on the filter, otherwise Amazon is good if you qualify for free ship there.

The Pentosin is a fine oil too. I'm guessing you may go a shortish OCI on it though, trying to clean out some stuff. Sounds like she went to a competent Euro shop. Pentosin is pretty expensive oil, so the $120 doesn't surprise me.

Your cheapest oil to get that will do a solid job cleaning and fully approved is Mobil 1 0w-40. I don't know if you go to that infamous place that starts with a W, but it's only about $25-$26 for 5 quart jug there. Considering you want to do shortish changes to clean it out, I'd want to buy it at a good price like that.

Good luck.

Last edited:
The place where she got it changed, used pentosin 5w40 and a mann filter.

She won't get any better than this combination. My only recommendation would be to use a conservative change interval until you learn what kind of shape the car is in. Five thousand miles would be the most I'd go on an oil change.

2003 a4 1.8t, usa market:
VAG filter PN is 068115561B

Mahle: OC51
Mann: W 940/25
Hengst: H17W05

Cheers!

Also, using oil to clean is gentle, but maybe speed is better?

The danger is that the speed of the flush can get out of hand, as it were. On occasion, something will break loose and clog the oil pickup. I prefer to leave the fast flushes for an engine where it doesn't matter anyhow - i.e. like it's coming apart in any event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back