2013 Chevy Cruze MTF FF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the UOA from my 2013 Chevy Cruze manual transmission. The factory fill is a Castrol BOT 303. The specs on the BOT 303 are elusive, but what I've found so far is that it has a cSt @ 100ºC of 6.2, a pour point of -66C, and a flash point of 232C.

Here's what came out:

OIL BOT 303
MILES IN USE 10,038
MILES 10,038
SAMPLE TAKEN 1/22/2014

ALUMINUM 21
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 45
COPPER 90
LEAD 1
TIN 0
CADMIUM 0
VANADIUM 0
MOLYBDENUM 0
ANTIMONY 0
NICKEL 0
MANGANESE 7
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 1
BORON 2
SILICON 7
SODIUM 7
CALCIUM 3209
MAGNESIUM 5
LITHIUM 0
PHOSPHORUS 1675
ZINC 1564
BARIUM 4

WATER cSt @ 100ºC 6.2
TAN mg KOH/g 3.16
Oxidation 61
Nitration 5

I used JG Lubricant Services

That's one thin MTF. No wonder folks are reporting better results with a thicker synchromesh-type MT fluid as a replacement, especially as miles accumulate on the transmission. It shifts great for the first 1000 miles, then the synchros wear in and could benefit from a thicker fluid to keep a film intact so the synchros can do their jobs instead of grind when they're called upon. That thin viscosity also explains why the infamous 4th gear rattle goes away with thicker fluid.

With that pour point, I'd think that cold shifting would be great, except from personal experience with that junk I know it's not. There's more than great paper specs to make a good MTF.

Thank you so much for posting this!

Originally Posted By: lubedude13
I'd try Amsoil man trans fluid

I run Amsoil Synchromesh in my Cruze's manual, and recommend it to every other driver of a car with a M32 transmission (Cruze/Sonic in North America).

I think this looks very similar to Honda MTF II. It probably sheared quite a bit too. If you ever become unhappy, there are lots of other options to try.

Your transmission is breaking in on the FF so nothing unusual here.

The important think is trending of wear metals as the transmission ages. Change out with same fluid and retest with new VOA and UOA at 30k.

This appears to have a typical MTL PI package.

I'm sure that isn't the wrong oil for the transmission. They do lots of testing. Having said that i dumped the (lifetime) trans FF in my 98 M3 at 80k and learned that I could have continued using it for another 80k or more. Sealed units without extreme heat are easy on fluids.

I didn't say you should not change it out soon.

There is data showing that changing the fluid out early, whether it be MTF or ATF, contributes to the longevity of the tranny by disposing of solids and metals from the machining/storage processes.

The fluid in the analysis is one of those Low viscosity MTL formulations that has similar viscosity characteristics to DexronIII/Mercon ATF, but with the specialized PI additive package forr synchronized MT's.

The next analysis should show wear materials trending downward.

One should always get a VOA of the fluid before any further analysis.

BTW, it is trending, not snapshots that make useful UOAs.

MTL Design and Lubricant Technology

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back