Camry - hard on tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had the 02 Camry inspected today. Buddy at the garage said "Camrys are hard on tires...the way they bow in, rotate them every 12k". One was wearing on the outside front, would only be 30k or little more on it. So should I just get one, that is alright is it? I just had 2 news tires installed on back.

I'd rotate sooner, by the time you see funny wear it is too late to correct.

I would have sworn a month ago that our Camry was hard, yet tire wear has dropped off. The last couple 32nd's seem to be hanging in much much longer than the first few.

It does seem to wear the inside the least, but it is not much more than a 32nd or so.

early versions of CAmry (circa 1991 to around 96 or 97) front suspension suffers from negative camber as suspension components stated to wear....leading to excessive camber wear on tires (front).

Gen 5.5 and up, there's no more camber-related wear (mine falls in this group) so tire wear rate is more or less the same as other mid-sized FWD automobile.

Typically, my tire sets (with rotation of course), lasts aroudn 4~5yrs...we are on our second set since we bought our car used 10yrs ago.

Q.

All of my FWD Toyotas wear the right front tire a lot so I X rotate them every 3rd rotation which I do every 5000 miles until they get down to the last 3rd then I just burn them out. I have been getting real good wear (55k) out of the Nexen5000 tires you can get at Walmart for $85. They are directional so you have to dismount a pair to X rotate them but they have been wearing well and a set of 4 costs just about $500 completely installed. Which is not bad for a V rated 60k tire.

It's just the nature of mid size FWD independent suspension cars.

My Taurus was killer on tires. I drive like a granny and the car was aligned more than once and most I could get was 20K.

Our 2011 must be heavy then, the first set was at 4/32's after 30k (Energies). Even wear with 5k rotations, but 4/32's. I think the replacement sent (Primacy's) are not far from 4/32's with 33k on them, but I'm being cheap and running them longer. Maybe they will get closer to the rated 60k.

[Oddly enough: they seem to work better in the snow now! have not figured that one out. Should work worse, but for some reason they don't slide around as much.]

Originally Posted By: supton
Our 2011 must be heavy then, the first set was at 4/32's after 30k (Energies). Even wear with 5k rotations, but 4/32's. I think the replacement sent (Primacy's) are not far from 4/32's with 33k on them, but I'm being cheap and running them longer. Maybe they will get closer to the rated 60k.

[Oddly enough: they seem to work better in the snow now! have not figured that one out. Should work worse, but for some reason they don't slide around as much.]

You must have some gnarly roads. My wife's '11 Camry Hybrid has about 33K miles on a set of V-rated Primacy MXV4s.

The fronts have 8/32 and the rears have 9/32. They've never been rotated or re-balanced and are wearing beautifully.

Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan
You must have some gnarly roads. My wife's '11 Camry Hybrid has about 33K miles on a set of V-rated Primacy MXV4s.

The fronts have 8/32 and the rears have 9/32. They've never been rotated or re-balanced and are wearing beautifully.

Driving style factors in as well. My sister has an 05 Camry (formerly my father's). It's fairly hard on tires, but doesn't chew through them nearly as fast as it did when he drove it.

I think road surface has a lot to do with it. I've never had tire wear problems like many mention. Maybe it's southern roads vs. northern roads?

Camrys are no harder on tires than any other FWD. Rotate tires every 5k and look for alignment wear on a regular basis. FWD cars front tires wear 4-6 times faster than rear tires

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I think road surface has a lot to do with it. I've never had tire wear problems like many mention. Maybe it's southern roads vs. northern roads?
The abrasiveness of the aggregate from the local quarry matters.

Look at the Toyota Camry alignment specs. I know that the specs for my Toyota Tundra are way too wide. An alignment that is "within spec" with a setting at one end of the spec on one side and the other end of the spec at the other side is "within spec" and a terrible alignment job. Demand that the alignment tech set the alignment in the center of the spec unless you have a specific reason for the setting elsewhere in the spec range, and both sides the same. There are aftermarket camber alignment kits if that'll help. Be sure the rears are aligned, also.

Originally Posted By: Doog
They are directional so you have to dismount a pair to X rotate them but they have been wearing well and a set of 4 costs just about $500 completely installed.

Does Walmart charge you to dismount them to X rotate? I had them mount some directional tires for me and would like to have this done. Plus I have an 05 Matrix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back