Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
26.2 mpg as tested sounds pretty good!
490lbs payload sounds like a mistake, I'm pretty sure even the mitsu mirage has more than that...

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
490lbs payload sounds like a mistake, I'm pretty sure even the mitsu mirage has more than that...

I checked the Ram site before posting -- they list:

Curb Weight: 5,900
Max Payload: 881

According to the info I posted, it went across the scales at 6,460, which explains the 490lb. figure.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
$56K!!! Riiight...

That is for a loaded Laramie Longhorn QC which is about as high as you can go. You can get one for 20K less if you don't go nuts.

Only $2850 for the diesel option. That's a lot less than the Cummins option in the HD Ram.
The curb weight of 6460 lbs seems heavy. My 2001 2500 diesel only weighs 6160.
8200 pounds towing capacity.
240 HP, which is a lot more than the original Cummins had back in 1988. The original rating on my 2001 24-valve was 235. (Much higher lately, though.)

Another Swing and Miss by Chrysler...

Also, look here for the cost savings #s:

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2014/02/gas-versus-diesel-do-the-math-first.html

In particular the costs broken down:
6a00d83451b3c669e201a3fcbb030a970b-800wi

I'll make mine the superior Ecoboost, thanks. Ram = Pretty boy truck.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
For $2800 more, why would ANYONE choose one over a Pentastar V6?

Actually, it's $4,000 more than the V6 ($2,850 more than the V8, which comes standard on the higher-end models).

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I'll take a gas job over the overly complicated, electronic ridden, high maintenance diesels of today!

I would rather have a gas motor vs a diesel as well but kudos to Chrysler for coming out with a 1/2 ton diesel that so many people have asked for.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

Swing and Miss? I think not. Clear anti Chrysler bias showing. Comparing the ECO Boost Ford V6 to a diesel is ridiculous.

Why is it ridiculous?

They both make the same torque.
They both have nice flat torque curves.
They both are the "premium" option.
If Chrysler had a decent chassis they could both tow the same.

And even the fuel economy of the Diesel takes many, many years to pay off - see the picture I posted. Don't crow about resale value either as this is an unproven engine and it could be great or it could be a Ford 6.0/6.4.

Originally Posted By: Reg# 43897
Agreed, glad that somebody has stepped up w/ a diesel 1/2 ton.

I'm glad to see it finally come to fruition as well.

With that said, a little comparison:

2014 Ram EcoDiesel - http://blogs.cars.com/.a/6a00d83451b3c669e201a3fcbf16fd970b-pi
2014 GMC Sierra - http://blogs.cars.com/.a/6a00d83451b3c669e201a5116ecd83970c-pi

The Ram is 28% more efficient, but utilizes a fuel that's 22% more expensive locally ($3.39 vs. $4.09). As well, both trucks are similarly equipped, and the Ram has a 36% higher sticker price -- you're going to have a very difficult time justifying the purchase of this truck if the decision is based on reason.

Originally Posted By: itguy08

Swing and Miss? I think not. Clear anti Chrysler bias showing. Comparing the ECO Boost Ford V6 to a diesel is ridiculous.

Why is it ridiculous?

They both make the same torque.

If Chrysler had a decent chassis they could both tow the same.

Chrysler has a decent chassis. The only way the Eco-diesel will tow the same as the Eco-boost is to give the diesel the additional 125hp the gas engine makes.

The Eco-boost will smoke the Eco-diesel in a tow off.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Another Swing and Miss by Chrysler...

Also, look here for the cost savings #s:

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2014/02/gas-versus-diesel-do-the-math-first.html

In particular the costs broken down:
6a00d83451b3c669e201a3fcbb030a970b-800wi

I'll make mine the superior Ecoboost, thanks. Ram = Pretty boy truck.

I think it's great too.. itguy does not hide his hate for Chrysler, much like I don't hide mine for Toyota... To each their own I guess, but I at least don't troll nearly as good as he does..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back