According to Experts..i need kerosene in my oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought that would get your attention.

32pontiacoilrecommendations.jpg

According to the Society of Automobile Engineers I will need 10% kerosene in my motor oil tonight.

I dont have a 32 pontiac..so maybe i dont?

I like the part "Do not use cheap or little known lubricants"

Sorry but i thought this piece of history was needed.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
The only kerosene I can get is the stuff I put in my torches that has Citronella.

Is that OK?

Might try that in my son's saturn in the summer, might help prevent west nile virus!!

Originally Posted By: spasm3
The only kerosene I can get is the stuff I put in my torches that has Citronella.

Is that OK?

Might try that in my son's saturn in the summer, might help prevent west nile virus!!

Especially after a kerosene piston soak!

The chart posted reminded me of what happens when I add MMO in winter. Easier cranking but in current Saturn it also uses more oil/MMO.

When I was a kid you just went down to the local garage and they dispensed kerosene into your container. Oh how things have changed....

Is that OK?

WOW! I can still buy K-1 Kerosene at the pump, as well as white gas, AKA Naphtha.

Spread out youse mugs. Thats for engines that were splash lubed and had babbitted bushings for the mains and rods. The engines were toast by 75 K miles.
laugh.gif

For the history buffs the Society of Automobile Engineers is the SAE you see on every bottle of oil SAE 5W30.

I wonder if they are more like the masons or goodfellows? Do they have secret oil meetings?

Wynn's used to make a product called 'Friction Proofing', it came in a small purple bottle. It's been revealed here that it was 83% kero.

I used to add 1-2 bottles every OCI to a 1985 Buick Skyhawk I had because it was brutally cheap, and I thought it would eliminate wear in the engine, LOL!

I don't know if it actually did any good, but it didn't do any harm...I saw the car running around for years after I got rid of it.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Wynn's used to make a product called 'Friction Proofing', it came in a small purple bottle. It's been revealed here that it was 83% kero.

I've seen this product advertised forever - it dates back to 1939. Their MSDS product sheet says 'Petroleum Oil 40-50%' and 'Contains no other ingredients now known to be hazardous as defined by OSHA 29CFR 910.1000(z) and 29CFR 1910.1200.' The '40-50%' is probably kerosene or something close to it. We can only speculate on the remaining 50-60% (but colored water is always popular)

Maybe Chestien Wynn (said to be 'a 70 year old retired attorney with an interest in lubrication chemistry') simply read the SAE recommendation up above and decided to bottle some kerosene. If he were alive today, he'd probably be a contributor to BITOG.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I used to add 1-2 bottles every OCI to a 1985 Buick Skyhawk I had because it was brutally cheap, and I thought it would eliminate wear in the engine, LOL! I don't know if it actually did any good, but it didn't do any harm...I saw the car running around for years after I got rid of it.

So maybe it worked! As you note, it didn't do any harm, and the car was running around for years.

There is at least one other message in this thread: the oil gospel according to SAE (or any other group) that is delivered today may be discarded tomorrow.

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
When I was a kid you just went down to the local garage and they dispensed kerosene into your container. Oh how things have changed....

City boys...

I can get kerosene at three different places within a mile or two of my house. I'm in a farm town.

I can buy a tractor or combine here in town too, but have to drive ~25 miles to buy a Toyota.

There you go. Pump about five gallons of av gas into each engine oil tank and she''ll turn over real easy the next morning. Be sure to get a Spartan grad to help you start 'er up.

When I was a kid it was called coal oil. Used it to clean up parts . Mineral spirits would have been better. Same thing that is (or was) sold commercially as Stoddard Solvent or Varsol. And mineral spirits went from$2.95 a gallon to $10.00+ a gallon at the speed of light.

Weren't you supposed to add kerosene everyday because it would thin your oil when cold then "burn off", leaving your oil the correct viscosity to protect your engine at temp.

People would also drain their oil every night and bring the warm oil inside to keep it warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back