Super S pour point?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that pour point is considered on BITOG to be much less important than other numbers, but I notice that, for instance, Super S Multi-Flo 10w-30 has a pour point of -17F, and the 10w-40, which I just bought some of, has a pour point of -11F. This compares to Kendall GT-1 Synthetic Blend 10w-30 at -38F, and GT-1 conventional 10w-40 SN at -33F. QSAD 10w-40 SN shows a pour point of -33, and VWB shows -33F as well.

Now, I realize that it's not going to hit -11F -24C in So Cal unless global warming really takes off
grin.gif
, but what do the great minds of BITOG think about this?

low grade base stock, little to no pp depressants? low vi?

I find little use in using no name brands when you can find major brand oil on the cheap frequently.

The Gulfpride AFE Semi-Synthetic 5w30 that my shop uses has a listed pour point of -49F. It is very similar to Brad Penn Superior Fuel Efficient 5w30 Synthetic Blend.

Pour point is a worthless spec these days. Look at mrV or CCS numbers. If your always above -10C PP doesn't really matter unless your car says it does.

I did the "freezer test" on some 10w-40, and I was surprised at how well it poured at 0F. Much thinner than, say, STP or LOS.

According to the PDS, it meets the -25 pumping requirements, so I guess even if it won't pour, it will pump.

Originally Posted By: Rand

Would be my guess, too. I'm assuming this a "cheap" brand oil. They have to cut corners somewhere to keep the price low, like using little to no pp depressants or vi improvers.

edit: The info could also be inaccurate or out of date. Who knows when the pds was last updated, or if whomever wrote it bothered to do a "full" update or just change a couple numbers?

Last edited:

I find little use in using no name brands when you can find major brand oil on the cheap frequently.

Same here.

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro

Would be my guess, too. I'm assuming this a "cheap" brand oil. They have to cut corners somewhere to keep the price low, like using little to no pp depressants or vi improvers.

edit: The info could also be inaccurate or out of date. Who knows when the pds was last updated, or if whomever wrote it bothered to do a "full" update or just change a couple numbers?

Let me clarify. This is a "less expensive" oil, but it's SN, and GF-5 in the appropriate grades. When PQIA looked at the SM 10w-30, everything looked fine, and the low temp pumpability number was pretty good.

Pour Point became much less important to the site about the time that the majors started using GrIII a lot...about the same time as "it's not the ingredients, it's the total package" became the mantra justifying paying GrIV prices for GrIII.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back