I need an adware remover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like my old desktop pc is infected with some sort of adwhere...

I fired up firefox on my desktop the other day and was seeing real estate adds jumping around on the screen. I haven't used FF in several weeks, so have no idea where it came from. Avast claimed it blocked something.

I used to run something called Adaware some years ago. I DL'ed a fresh copy but it turned out to be an anti-virus thing. Not what I wanted.

What is available today that will scan and clean the system of this junk?

TLA

Wayne

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
MalwareBytes

+1

Originally Posted By: expat
Super antispywear Free edition

Used to be great, now it's junk since being sold off...

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
Try this. Excellent ad ware remover with instructions:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

Malwarebytes and Super Anti Spyware work well too.

+1 Bleepingcomputer has some excellent links to various programs like Junkware Removal Tool as well as ADW...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/junkware-removal-tool/

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Malwarebytes and Hitman Pro are the 2 cream of the crop antimalware programs today.

Yep..SAS is [censored] today.

I was fortunate enough to purchase a copy of MBAM Pro when they still had the lifetime licenses.

Using that and KAV I feel very safe online. Oh yeah, and AdBlockPlus in all of my browsers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Malwarebytes and Hitman Pro are the 2 cream of the crop antimalware programs today.

^ This

I'd go with Malwarebytes.
The free version is very powerful and you just uninstall if you don't want to register.
Hitman Pro IMHO is the best out there. It has knocked out and found more malware than Malwarebytes was able to handle.

Get Malware Bytes and Super Anti Spyware, the free versions. Run the two programs one after the other, not at the same time. That should get the adware/spyware out. If you don't already have it get CCleaner and run that too, it will clean up temp files and garage residing on your hard drive.

I have no idea how so many people get infected with this stuff; up to date browsers today will not, by themselves, allow a drive by download, nor will Windows 7/8 with the UAC settings enabled. It must be from downloads or script/plugin based exploits, but even those are rare if people make sure things like Java/Flash are up to date. In addition, Firefox by default prompts the user to run Java applications.

If you got some kind of adware/spyware, stop and make sure ALL your software/browsers and all plugins are up to date. For instance, Adobe just put out a Flash update a day after putting out another update to fix vulnerabilities, when a new exploit was discovered in the 1st update!

Avast will update that stuff automatically, and there is other stand alone products that will automatically update Flash/Java etc., since their built in updaters are useless.

Last edited:
Great info! Trying to think what I might have done to get infected. Sat. I updated Avast, earlier I had done several dogpile searches. All our equipment is behind a router.. It's been several years since I had an actual infection. Dunno..

Anyway, thanks

Wayne

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1

--cut--
I fired up firefox on my desktop the other day and was seeing real estate adds jumping around on the screen. I haven't used FF in several weeks, so have no idea where it came from. Avast claimed it blocked something.
--cut--

In FF you might have acquired some unwanted "Add-Ons". Got to Tools>Add-ons and disable or remove unwanted adware, search engines, and tool bars that get passed by with anti-virus/malware scans.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1

I used to run something called Adaware some years ago. I DL'ed a fresh copy but it turned out to be an anti-virus thing. Not what I wanted.

TLA
Wayne

Inside Firefox Add-Ons is a wonderful tool called Adblock Plus. Load it.
Also get a real antivirus program. The free ones help with antivirus, but not adware, spyware and malware.

Arm your computer properly and this problem will cease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back