89 chevy truck blue smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.
So when starting the truck after sitting in get blue smoke out of the exhaust. possibly common chevy valve seals? Is there any other thing it could be?What can I do to help them besides just replace them? It's a 350 and has 155,000 miles.

How long have you owned it what is your OCI? You can try cleaning the pvc and hoses and maybe replacing the crankcase element.I have one of these engines with 200,000 and it doesnt smoke or use oil.Switch to 5w30 HM

Mine smokes. Those TBI's are great, easy, reliable engines.

I love mine. It runs and runs....even though mine is an oil burning machine.

How many miles can you go before you burn a quart of oil?

Also, pull off the PCV vacuum line at the base of manifold and make sure there is good suction there at the metal nipple. And then make sure the PCV valve and hose are clean and not plugged up.

Once you do all that, when is the last time you changed the plugs? If you do, look at them all and see if any of them are extra sooty/fouled. Cylinder #1 is common, which is the at the front of the engine (nearest the radiator) on the driver's side.

But my truck has really worn valve guides. They make a ton of noise too. I have leaky lifters that start to collapse at a hot idle too. But she keeps on running. No problems.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
I would bet its the valve seals. Pretty common issue and relatively easy to change.

Agreed... Either live with it or plan on seal replacement...

Haven't owned it long at all yet when I replaced the plugs they all looked great and oil level haven't moved at all. I'll check pcv and what not.

If it was mine i would change the oil to something you have around or PYB 5w30 and run it for awhile those engines are bulletproof.Does it idle ok? Sometimes the TB,s need rebuilt and can dump extra fuel.

I've read here that when Valvoline Maxlife was tested and formulated the engineers literally used small block Chevys are their testbed engines and that the seal swellers it contains were designed with SBC valve seals particularly in mind. Run Maxlife from now on if you don't plan on changing the seals and it may stop or at least reduce the smoking. Members here have had good results with it reducing consumption.

I don't think Maxlife is certifed as resource conserving though so gas mileage might take a very faint hit.

I second the notion of valve guide seals. Common problem with those. It will keep running and running that 5.7! Maxlife is a great choice of oil too, it sounded quieter in my Burb 5.7 than even the all mighty PU. Mine is not a burner though luckily. It needs about a quart every 3k miles or so.

Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs
I don't think Maxlife is certifed as resource conserving though so gas mileage might take a very faint hit.

I think that the Dexos approved Maxlife is also labeled resource conserving, but even if it wasn't I am not sure you would really see a measurable difference.

Anyway, good luck with the Maxlife. The valve seals are a huge weakness on the Chevy 350.

Try changing the valve seals first before going to a rebuild.

Pick up an on-car valve spring compressor.

YA3271.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back