Silverado 2002 5.3 spark plug wires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently I replaced my spark plugs and went from iridium back to platinum. A few years ago Chevy Dealerships switched from platinum to iridium and their recommendation was to also switch the wires. I bought new wires at the dealer for a good price, my brother was working there at the time. So today I called the dealer just to see what part numbers I could get so that I could purchase new wires from a website that has better prices. My brother left the dealer ship a few years ago also. The parts guy gave me part number 748HH(AC delco) and corresponded to coil number 12558693, a number that matches my coil. The parts guy also told me that the plugs to use were now platinum and not iridium. I was pretty surprised to hear that but not really. I then first made a few calls to popular local auto parts stores and one particular auto store that I will only mention the abbreviation Autozne, whoops, gave me part number 9748HH, AC delco wires, and also corresponded to my coil number. Can anyone tell me what the difference between both AC delco numbers. The specs on both wires are different and I just need to know which ones are correct for my 2002 Chevy Silverado 5.3L. Please advise

Last edited:
Measure one of your old wires, and make sure you get the same. There's two sets out there, and the difference is length.

My 2004 5.3 Silverado took the Delco 9748HH wires.

Originally Posted By: Gito
Recently I replaced my spark plugs and went from iridium back to platinum. A few years ago Chevy Dealerships switched from platinum to iridium and their recommendation was to also switch the wires. I bought new wires at the dealer for a good price, my brother was working there at the time. So today I called the dealer just to see what part numbers I could get so that I could purchase new wires from a website that has better prices. My brother left the dealer ship a few years ago also. The parts guy gave me part number 748HH(AC delco) and corresponded to coil number 12558693, a number that matches my coil. The parts guy also told me that the plugs to use were now platinum and not iridium. I was pretty surprised to hear that but not really. I then first made a few calls to popular local auto parts stores and one particular auto store that I will only mention the abbreviation Autozne, whoops, gave me part number 9748HH, AC delco wires, and also corresponded to my coil number. Can anyone tell me what the difference between both AC delco numbers. The specs on both wires are different and I just need to know which ones are correct for my 2002 Chevy Silverado 5.3L. Please advise

Didn't gmc still have a 5.7l option in 02,but Chevrolet had the 5.3l implemented already,and could that be the discrepancy?

I've heard from my Chevy truck buddies that gmc still had a 5.7L option in the early 2000s as Chevy was fitting a 5.3 in everything. I've never seen one but a couple friends swear they exist.

748HH AC Delco 18.7 x 11.3 x 12.8 inches
Amazon $54.96

9748HH AC Delco 18.8 x 11.8 x 6.8 inches
Amazon $40.75

My current wires have a 7mm marking stamped on them

Those are the product details but now I'm thinking its the [censored] box measurements lol

I think I got it..Sorry for using the "DAM" word.

The 748HH fits my vehicle with the coil 12558693 but when I enter the 9748HH there is a statement that says "Does not fit your vehicle". Amazon...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Clevy

Didn't gmc still have a 5.7l option in 02,but Chevrolet had the 5.3l implemented already,and could that be the discrepancy?

I've heard from my Chevy truck buddies that gmc still had a 5.7L option in the early 2000s as Chevy was fitting a 5.3 in everything. I've never seen one but a couple friends swear they exist.

Don't know about the 5.7L ,but, you might be on to something as far as GMC giving one recommendation and Chevrolet giving a completely different one

This doesn't really clarify anything, but Rockauto lists both of those part numbers for your coil. The 748HH is $15 more than the 9748HH, though. Cost and the difference of one digit suggests they could be from different product lines. Both are 10.5 inch, where the other coil takes a shorter wire.

OK, I just looked at AC Delco. 748 is the OE replacement set. 9748 is the "Professional" alternative to OE line.

I think the 5.7 liter was the carry over engine in the 2000 model year of 3/4 ton trucks trucks only. My 2000 Silverado 1500 has the 5.3 and at work our 2000 Chevy K2500 has the 5.7. I kinda wish my truck had the 5.7 instead of the 5.3 but it doesn't. I've never heard of a GMC later than 2000 with a 5.7?
Originally Posted By: Clevy

Don't know about the 5.7L ,but, you might be on to something as far as GMC giving one recommendation and Chevrolet giving a completely different one

Originally Posted By: Tzu
I've never heard of a GMC later than 2000 with a 5.7?

Express/Savana vans had the 5.7 until 2002.

The ACDelco wires without the '9' in front of the number are same as OEM and are the best quality. The wires with the '9' are aftermarket with ACD slapped on them and are sometimes Chinese.

Also the only difference between the coil numbers is wire length. The GM dealer I once worked at only stocked the set for the Mitsubishi 1255xxxx coils as they would fit either setup. They were just cut about an inch longer than the set for the Delphi 1900xxxx coils.

Last edited:
I upgraded the wires on my 2006 GMC Sierra Denali (6.0L) with MSD wires. They are thicker, great fit and better quality than the OEM wires. Just my opinion.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I upgraded the wires on my 2006 GMC Sierra Denali (6.0L) with MSD wires. They are thicker, great fit and better quality than the OEM wires. Just my opinion.

Some folks theorize better wires may make life easier for the coils...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: GMBoy

Some folks theorize better wires may make life easier for the coils...

The possibility that the above could be true is one of the reasons I went with the fully sheilded/insulated, Moroso Ultra 40s on my LS1.
thumbsup2.gif

In case someone reads this later.

WIRE
The Melco® (square design) uses a spark plug wire (1) that is 145 mm (5.70 in) length cable seal to cable seal.
The Delphi® (round design) uses a spark plug wire (2) that is 110 mm (4.30 in) length cable seal to cable seal.

COIL
There are 2 different manufacturers for the ignition coils. the Melco® (1) (square design), and the Delphi® (2) (round design). These 2 coils use 2 different spark plug wire, and mounting brackets.

BRACKET
Melco® (square design) coil mounting bracket (1).
Delphi® (round design) coil mounting bracket (2).

bracket_zps9f404329.gif

coil_zpscd6063d4.gif

wire_zpsc5c2e3a2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back